veinslay

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
Hi guys,

I have asked for opinions for my build a month ago, but I decided to delay it, because new parts are coming out =)

now, I've decided that I'll buy the new rig, I'd like to try AMD system, I never used it before =P
but still I will wait until January because the stock for the new parts are short in Aus, they really overpriced them atm >_<

CPU: AMD 9500/9600/9700 maybe I'll get the 9500 and OC it
cooler: thermalright IFX-14 / ultra 120eX, both with arctic 12, (which heatsink is better?)
MOBO: MSI K9A2 CF or maybe the gigabyte?
GPU: sapphire HD3850 512mb
PSU: corsair vx-450
CASE: NZXT apollo
MEM: 4x1Gb kingston 800mhz
HDD : WD caviar Se16 500Gb
DVD drive : Pioneer SATA 212D
monitor : ASUS vw222u

Is there anything I can improve or should change?
also will Penryn core cheaper than AMD?

any opinion is greatly appreaciated

thanks =)

nhobo

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Whatever you get, wait until next year to take advantage of new hardware and post-holiday price reductions and sales.

akhilles

Splendid
Take it from me. I'm an AMD fanboi. I suggest against Phenom unless you're a stockholder. :) Q6600 beats out Phenom hands down. Heck, even 6400+ beats out Phenom 9500 in most benchies.

If you must have quad, go Intel.

veinslay

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
oh, so maybe I should wait for the Penryn quad? (of course I wont get that extreme edition =p)

the HD3850 is a lot cheaper than 8800GT, but I will consider that, since 8800GT is really nice in performance

btw, what's the point for AMD releasing the new quad core if it's not even competitive?

akhilles

Splendid
AMD is one year late in terms of releasing quads. The Phenom is true quad cores whereas the Q6600 is 2 C2D's put together. Even though the benchmarks clearly show Phenom is a dissapointment, there'll be new revisions coming out. When AM2 X2 first came out, they were crap. See how good the Brisbane 5000+ Black overclocks. It'll take AMD time to fine-tune their manufacturing process. Rumor has it that AMD will release Phenom Black/FX with unlocked multipliers for the SAME prices of the locked ones. Same packaging. Just an extra sticker. If it's true, I can't wait.