Asus P5B Overclock anomolies???

bobmitch

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2002
I have noticed that overclocking my E6600 to 3.0 GHZ works fine. However, whenever I turn the machine on for the first time every day...it powers up...seems to shut down and powers up again before booting. I have read that this is a particular reaction to overclocking the CPU. Now my question...

If I take out the E6600 and put in an E6850 (actual 3.0 GHZ Processor for 1333 fsb)...my bios (1215 and higher enables 1333 fsb on board) is supposed to identify and adjust my fsb by itself...will the same anomolie of powering up...shutting down (like a pause where everything goes dark for a few seconds) and powering up again remain? Or will it go away and will the machine boot normally?

Thanks in Advance

Bob

bobmitch

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2002
What I am talking about...turn the machine on...all lights up like normal...then the machine pauses for about three seconds...all the lights and fans go off...and by itself...repowers up. I am just wondering if the pause / power down has to do with overclocking and the board readjusting to the overspeed. It is a known anomolie with this board...and I was wondering it when you actually put a 1333 fsb processor on the board if the pause remains or goes away.

sylle

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2008
:bounce: i have de same problem my friends have de same problem i went to e shop ask wat to do the told me its normal wit intel's motherboards evry intel motherboard i used and try'd out had de same probs :bounce: its normal man :bounce:

vegeta

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2007
Im sorry but i do not think that is normal. i have, sorry HAD a P5B Deluxe mobo until bad BIOS flash -_- and i had a e6400 OC'ed to 3ghz, and never once did it do that when i turned it on. yes it is normal when you first do the OC cause it has to update the memory and CPU speed, but after that it should start up normally each time which is without a shutdown after first power up.
only thing i can think of is if maybe u have it unplugged from the wall for a certain amount of time or if you turn the power point off? long enough for the powersupply to be fully drained of power? other than that i don't think that is normal.

Moebius078

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I have exactly the same problem. E6600@3.01Ghz, stable, on a P5B (green edition). When I power up, the pc only starts up after about 3 seconds. Everything else is fine.

Moebius078

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

I tried this a couple of days ago, but it didn't work... Weird issue

t2couger

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
i have the exact same issue and the the resolution is to update the bios, i have not done this yet because it does not bother be and i dont have the time to OC my system back to stable 3.5G,

i have p5b wifi delux, 2 gig ram and C2EX6800

bobmitch

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2002
Actually...it is a normal procedure with Asus. I also have the P5E and am running PC8500 memory on it. At 1066 mhz speed, the board does the same thing. If I clock the memory to 800 mhz...it doesn't.