Partitioning Drives and Free Space

Thanks for the solutions, but I'm just wondering WHY this would happen.
Is it just a case of other files in other paritions "spilling over" into
the system partition, or does partitioning itself use space that's
basically invisible to Windows?

Mike, your setup sounds pretty close to mine. I know I can change the
partition sizes, and that's my next plan, but it seems like I've lost 2
Gb into the abyss.

--
Hobar

Malke

Hobar wrote:

> Thanks for the solutions, but I'm just wondering WHY this would
> happen. Is it just a case of other files in other paritions "spilling
> over" into the system partition, or does partitioning itself use space
> that's basically invisible to Windows?
>
> Mike, your setup sounds pretty close to mine. I know I can change the
> partition sizes, and that's my next plan, but it seems like I've lost
> 2 Gb into the abyss.

Why what would happen? Post to the original thread. No one knows what
you're talking about here in this apparently orphaned post.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Hobar

It is next to impossible to accurately work out file usage against reported
free space, and with so many numbers to add, mistakes are easily made.. did
you ensure that hidden and system files were viewable, and did you take into
account a fluctuating page file?.. and remember that a file of less than 4k
will occupy a space of 4k, like it or not.. four 1k files occupy 16k of
space (unless somebody changed the rules while I was out).. it can get worse
than that if the cluster size on the drive is more than 4k..

The only reason that you notice it now is because you made the primary
partition way too small.. the perfect storage system that wastes no space
has yet to be invented.. in the meantime, we live with what we have..

My advice to most is to use a computer productively, and not worry about
drive space, the seeming multiplicity of folders with the same name, the
existence of system folders like My Music, My Pictures etc UNLESS something
drastic happens.. an example.. re-installing the OS eats half of the entire
capacity of the hard drive within minutes..

Good luck with repartitioning, and REMEMBER to BACKUP all of your important
stuff before you use PM 8 or similar..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

"Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
> Hobar wrote:
>

>> Thanks for the solutions, but I'm just wondering WHY this would
>> happen. Is it just a case of other files in other paritions "spilling
>> over" into the system partition, or does partitioning itself use
>> space that's basically invisible to Windows?
>>
>> Mike, your setup sounds pretty close to mine. I know I can change
>> the partition sizes, and that's my next plan, but it seems like I've
>> lost 2 Gb into the abyss.
>>

> Why what would happen? Post to the original thread. No one knows what
> you're talking about here in this apparently orphaned post.
>
> Malke

He did on my machine.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE