Sign in with
Your question

4gb Installed...Reading only 3gb

Tags:
  • Memory
  • RAM
Last response: in Memory
December 14, 2007 9:48:49 AM

i just installed 2 more gigs of ram tonight and it only reads 3 and not the 4th one.. what are the possible issues here.. i double checked and made sure they were connected snug and all.. kinda stumped.. here any help would be appreciated thank you

my ram is Corsair DDR2-800 Mhz
the only thing different between the 2 sets of ram are the cas latency 2 of them are 5-5-5-12 and the other 2 are 4-4-4-12

More about : 4gb installed reading 3gb

a b } Memory
December 14, 2007 10:38:00 AM

/facepalm
a b } Memory
December 14, 2007 10:41:16 AM

Sorry - It's early and I should be nicer than that...

In 32 bit Windows operating systems, the total addressable space available is 4GB. If you installed total 4GB memory, the system will detect less than 4GB of total memory because of address space allocation for other critical functions, such as:

- System BIOS (including motherboard, add-on cards, etc..)
- Motherboards resources
- Memory mapped I/O
- configuration for AGP/PCI-Ex/PCI
- Other memory allocations for PCI devices

Different onboard devices and different add-on cards (devices) will result of different total memory size.
e.g. more PCI cards installed will require more memory resources, resulting of less memory free for other uses.

This limitation applies to most chipsets & Windows XP/Vista 32-bit version operating systems.

If you install a Windows operating system, if more than 3GB memory is required for your system, then below two conditions should be met:

1. The memory controller which supports memory swap functionality is used. The latest chipsets like Intel 975X, 955X, Nvidia NF4 SLI Intel Edition, Nvidia NF4 SLI X16, AMD K8 CPU architecture, and newer can support the memory swap function.

2. Windows XP Pro X64 Ed. (64-bit), Windows Vista X64 (also 64 bit), or other OS which can address more than 4GB memory.

Note: According to the latest Change Log published my Microsoft, Windows Vista 32bit **SP1** will display the installed amount of RAM. It is unclear at this point whether or not that memory will actually be available for use, or if it's simply change to the display. Hopefully the former, but likely the latter.
Related resources
a b } Memory
December 14, 2007 11:13:45 AM

Go into the BIOS and see how much memory the BIOS is detecting. That should be an accurate hardware check. If the results are around 4 GB, your hardware is working.

What the OS doesisa different matter.
a b } Memory
December 14, 2007 12:24:49 PM

jsc said:
Go into the BIOS and see how much memory the BIOS is detecting. That should be an accurate hardware check. If the results are around 4 GB, your hardware is working.

IIRC on my MOBO in order to see all 4 gig in BIOS I first have to go into CMOS setup and enable "memory remapping", otherwise I see 3 gig in BIOS also. This is on an Asus p5b-deluxe. I have 6 gig in there now and with memory remapping disabled I see only 5. Go figure.
December 14, 2007 12:32:00 PM

If you're running a 64-bit OS, check in your bios as suggested.

If you're running a 32-bit OS, smack yourself in the face and use the damn search tool.
December 14, 2007 12:46:11 PM

For the love of Pete.. Someone sticky this topic already..
December 14, 2007 1:02:45 PM

I agree, Itheral. How times is this same question asked?
December 14, 2007 1:41:27 PM

Google ftw?
December 14, 2007 2:18:00 PM

BIOS BIOS BIOS BIOS or else defective RAM
December 14, 2007 2:43:14 PM

...... your running a 32bit os..... you wasted monies. There is a fix for this, but I do not know what it is called.

pogsnet- it sounds like its a 32bit os, not defective ram or such.
a b } Memory
December 14, 2007 2:59:20 PM

Yes, the OP's PC is running XP Pro (check his specs) so it is normal that only around 3 gigs are available.
December 14, 2007 3:11:27 PM

It's not a 32-bit OS issue exactly, it's specific to Microsoft. I run a 32-bit OS and have no problems accessing 4 GB of RAM:

$ free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 4148616 3904152 244464 0 27580 3257540
-/+ buffers/cache: 619032 3529584
Swap: 7815580 592 7814988

But the comments are accurate. If you are using a Microsoft OS, you need a 64-bit version such as Vista 64, and you probably need to enable memory remapping in your BIOS. This may be in an advanced settings area; on my system, I had to hit CTRL-F1 in the BIOS menu to find the setting.
December 14, 2007 3:48:55 PM

deuce271 said:

If you're running a 32-bit OS, smack yourself in the face and use the damn search tool.

LMAO :lol:  :pt1cable: 
December 14, 2007 4:11:51 PM

Oh come on... if people didn't keep re-posting this same topic, what would we have to bitch about?
December 14, 2007 4:12:09 PM

Dont listen to all these other people. Words like 64 and 32 bits are merely buzzwords meant to cover ignorance.

Your ram is poorly lubricated and you are losing that extra gigabyte to friction. Try coating your ram in butter (unsalted!) or something similar and reinstalling. Works every time.
December 14, 2007 4:13:09 PM

jitpublisher said:
Yes, the OP's PC is running XP Pro (check his specs) so it is normal that only around 3 gigs are available.

Ummm right. I'm running Windows XP Pro as well, but its the 64-bit X64 edition. So just saying XP Pro doesn't give the entire story.
a b } Memory
December 14, 2007 4:31:32 PM

deuce271 said:
Ummm right. I'm running Windows XP Pro as well, but its the 64-bit X64 edition. So just saying XP Pro doesn't give the entire story.

And so you won't have any problem. So what is your point, other than the one on your head?

a b } Memory
December 14, 2007 4:31:45 PM

there should just be a sticky on this topic :) 

@ op - don't worry its normal....if you upgrade to a 64 bit OS you should see it all....if not. 3 is still a good amount of ram....
December 14, 2007 5:10:19 PM

Having 2GB RAM in 32bit XP is more than enough memory for the average pc user.

I can't excuse the OP for not doing some research on the topic before creating a thread, but the OP is hardly to blame given that retailers are selling 2 x 2GB memory kits for <$100. Given how cheap RAM is why bother buying anything less than 4GB?!?!

Just another reminder of how poorly 64bit XP was marketed and supported.
December 14, 2007 5:27:45 PM

dashelj said:
Dont listen to all these other people. Words like 64 and 32 bits are merely buzzwords meant to cover ignorance.

Your ram is poorly lubricated and you are losing that extra gigabyte to friction. Try coating your ram in butter (unsalted!) or something similar and reinstalling. Works every time.

DUDE! WTF! You can’t tell him the secrets to get all your RAM to work with 32bit! I tried this and I actually doubled my amount of RAM and also did it to my HD and it actually got what it said on the box!!! :D 
December 14, 2007 5:50:49 PM

dashelj said:

What a stupid reply... everyone knows you use lard for this. Amateurs!!!
December 14, 2007 5:55:21 PM

Jesus people...nobody has really given the solution yet.....You need to disable hardware memory remapping in the BIOS and enable software memory hole remapping. Then as everyone said you're still basically wasting the RAM anyway because you are running a 32-bit OS.
December 15, 2007 2:31:50 PM

dashelj said:

Man I thought we agreed we would not post the correct answer to this problem to the people who instaed of searching, ask the same question for the billionth time. Why u gotto go and break the rule !!
a b } Memory
December 15, 2007 2:37:32 PM

<Notes the OP hasn't replied to his own thread>

I think we scared him off...
December 15, 2007 9:26:06 PM

I'm having the same problem. Why aren't all 4 GB of memory showing up? I'm using winxp 32 bit, that's not a problem right? How do I run this "BIOS" on my computer?! WHAT FORM OF WITCHCRAFT IS THIS!?!

In an unrelated matter, I'm having trouble with the new eSATA hardrive I bought. I finally got it plugged into a "USB" on the back of the computer but it took a lot of force and I had to trim the plug a little bit. Now that it's plugged how do i make it go?
December 17, 2007 9:21:35 PM

I was being stupid and wasn't thinking. Winxp x32 only read up to 3gb and therefore you would have to go with Winxp x64 in order for you computer to read past 3gb... Winxp x64 costs about 50 dollars more than the Winxp x32.. it would almost be worth it to me..Since I run a lot of applications at once..
a b } Memory
December 17, 2007 11:39:02 PM

Check to make sure all your hardware has 64 bit drivers. that can be a pain. 3 gigs will run allot of apps at once.....keep an eye in the task manager and see how much you max out at....
Time to reuse an image

Look under peak(it should stay under your total Physical Memory (K) memory to avoid too much swapping)....ignore processes running its from another post about too much running on older hardware....
December 18, 2007 12:15:01 PM

I would not go to Windows XP 64 bit... honestly... just move to 64bit Vista. Its worth it!
December 18, 2007 12:58:02 PM

All Lies send 2 gigs to me and I will adjust them for you after I move to Mexico and change my name.
December 18, 2007 1:04:20 PM

oh gods... everytime this question is asked, i die a little bit inside.

i wonder if there's a way to setup the forum submit form to search for these keywords and block these posts...
a b } Memory
December 18, 2007 1:37:22 PM

Have you seen how cheap the 2 x 2 gig sets are these days? Expect many more questions. Even Leo Laporte (the tech guy) got busted on this one recently. A caller asked where his extra gig was and Leo told him 'you paid for it, it should be showing up! " or somesuch, his message board quickly corrected him thankfully. I was about to scream
December 18, 2007 2:23:39 PM

I remember when 4MB of RAM was over $1,000+.
December 18, 2007 2:29:17 PM

Oh my God not Leo. That hurts. :cry:  I'm sure it was just a brain fart. He probably hasn't used a 32b OS in years.
December 18, 2007 2:32:32 PM

dashelj said:

Word.
December 18, 2007 3:09:55 PM

Dashelj, will toothpaste work too?
December 18, 2007 3:24:28 PM

Nah, use Astroglide! It always allows you to slide your RAM into a tight slot...
December 18, 2007 4:50:11 PM

Did you hear this from Wingding?
December 18, 2007 4:53:15 PM

Astroglide... Isn't that used for bum se.... nevermind.
!