Terratec Trouble!!!

riskyfrisky

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Guys i need clarification on some issues i'm currently experiencing, and advice for the future is also needed.

Firstly, watching TV through the PC is annoying. With Media Center on Vista 32bit i can't pick up several channels, 5 being one of them, yet with the Terratec program included with the card i pick up all channels and the signal is fine at about 80%. The program sucks though so i hate using it!

I have the latest drivers for the tuner. The other day i reverted back to the old .260 drivers and just whilst surfing the net the PC BSOD and i managed to take the following error before it restarted: MicNgBas. Driver IRQL not less or equal' A check on google soon pointed to Terratec so i put the latest drivers back on but even though the BSOD stopped the channel problems remain the same.

In event viewer i also have 'IRQARB: ACPI BIOS does not contain an IRQ for the device in PCI slot 12, function 0. Please contact your system vendor for technical assistance'. I don't know what this means. Could this be related? There are four that appear every day in the viewer and range from Slot 12 through Slot 16.

I've seen several reviews that slate the card- is it really that lousy, and if so, are there better options for the PCI-E1 slot?

Secondly, if i put the PC in standby then start it back up and load up Media Center, the program itself and the channels all get fuzzy like when a channel isn't tuned in properly. As stated, this also appears on the actual program when it opens and remains until i reboot. If that makes sense. Any thoughts?

Lastly, and worst, the 7900GS seems as though it's not up to the task of running my BenQ at decent resolutions (the native res is 1920x1200). There is a message in Event Viewer saying that 'Video memory is over-utilised and thrashing is happening as a result'. The resolution is set at 1600x1200 though. The HDD goes crazy, i may as well just have a Raptor because i reckon i'd be used to the noise lol. Is the set resolution too high and what graphics card can you suggest for playing games at full resolution; is it possible with a single card to get acceptable frame rates without paying over £300?

Specs:
ABIT KN9S
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600
BFG GeForce 7900GS OC
2GB DDR2 Crucial RAM @ 800Mhz (2x1GB dual channel)
Samsung Spinpoint 250GB
Terratec Cinergy 2400i DT
Corsair HX520W Modular PSU
Sony DVD-RW
Samsung DVD-ROM
BenQ FP241W 24" HD Ready
Vista 32bit Home Premium

Thanks for your time on this- it is appreciated.

riskyfrisky