Thoughts on a Long Overdue Gaming PC

Vainiac

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Hi guys, I've been reading through this forum alot and have decided to give building my own PC a shot for the first time. This is long overdue since I'm running a P4 @ 1.3 at the moment and to say the least it doesn't cut it anymore. The rig will mainly be used for gaming and I figured I'd also try OCing a little bit too. I plan on putting the final pieces together a little after Christmas when the low end yorkfields get released but figured Id start picking up the other parts as I see them go on sale for the holidays. I would like to stay around $1000 So heres my current list

Case: Coolermaster RC690
PSU: Antec TruePower Trio 550W
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
CPU: Intel Q9300 plan on OCing it to ~3 ghz (once it gets released, I read this should happen in January)
Memory: G Skill 4 gb (2x2gb) @ 5-5-5-15
GPU: EVGA 8800 GT
Hard Drive:Western Digital Caviar SE16 500 GB w/ 16MB cache
Optical: SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B

On a side note I am not interested in RAID or SLI/crossfire. Any comments or concerns would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Vainiac

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Thanks for the comments guy

@akhilles: thats exactly why I posted the specs now I was looking through newegg this morning and saw that stuff ridiculously cheap

Also is there a significant difference between the WD hard drive with 8MB and 16MB cache? theres only a 10 dollar price difference. just curious if its worth the extra 10 bucks

Thanks again