Sign in with
Your question

RAID0 and SSD. Match made in heaven?

Last response: in Storage
August 19, 2008 1:36:12 PM

Hey folks,

Nothing new, just looking for current opinions and news. I've been a long time RAID user, but the new SSD discs are really attractive. They're becoming more and more available and affordable. Their sustained transfer rates on their own are not the most impressive things in the world, but considering their access time is near immeasurable, it just screams to be used in RAID where access time is the thing that slows, so having a few SSD drives in RAID would still have extremely fast access time considering the setup, and have really good performance in all other regards making it basically perfect for RAID. Plus, simply with how the tech works, I wonder if RAID0 is even as risky on SSD as it is on typical drives making it even less important to need parity in there (to avoid costs of expensive RAID controllers that support the SSD option as well as RAID5). Though all things being safer is nice, not always needed if you're just looking to have snappy parts in a rig. Speaking of which, I'm only even considering it for fun because two small 32 to 64 gig SSD's can be had for like $250~350 together, which is a huge cry different from the thousands they used to cost.

Anyone out there using RAID0 and SSD? Any opinions on speed? I've seen some benchmarks and some are great and others are a little disappointing. I'm curious about it as a way to have a very quiet and less-power-consuming way to have a snappy drive setup. I've read they are less heat-producing as well. Anyhow, any thoughts are appreciated!

Very best, :) 
August 19, 2008 2:38:27 PM

I have 2 small SSD drives that I was not doing anything with so I put them in a RAID 0 array on my Adaptec controller and I use them only for my swap file for vista. They are only 4GB each so I dont know how much this helps you be here is a screen shot of the results in HD Tune.

August 19, 2008 3:02:44 PM

Honestly it really depends on the technology in each SSD. If you are putting a few SSD drives together in RAID0 that use MLC technology, you may see an increase in speed. Chances are the marginal gains in speed are not even going to be noticable. On the other hand, putting drives in RAID0 that use SLC tech would be not worth the time. I did an experiment about 2 months ago or so with putting two Samsung 64GB SLC SSDs in RAID0, and I actually lost a significant amount of performance. I tried to figure out why, but there wasn't much information out there to do research on. The only conclusion that I was able to come up with is that the RAID controller was not fast enough to use both drives simultaneously and slowed the performance down.

Related resources
August 19, 2008 4:13:25 PM

pbrigido said:
Honestly it really depends on the technology in each SSD. If you are putting a few SSD drives together in RAID0 that use MLC technology, you may see an increase in speed. Chances are the marginal gains in speed are not even going to be noticable. On the other hand, putting drives in RAID0 that use SLC tech would be not worth the time. I did an experiment about 2 months ago or so with putting two Samsung 64GB SLC SSDs in RAID0, and I actually lost a significant amount of performance. I tried to figure out why, but there wasn't much information out there to do research on. The only conclusion that I was able to come up with is that the RAID controller was not fast enough to use both drives simultaneously and slowed the performance down.

What controller were you using? You may have bottlenecked the controller as you hinted at. Try that same setup with a modern processor based controller(Adaptec, 3ware, LSI/Intel etc), it might make a difference.
August 19, 2008 4:19:11 PM

That could be. It was on my motherboard that I no longer have...an Asus board with a E6600 CPU. Next time I have access to a higher end controller card, I'll give it another shot. I always have liked Adaptec, they make a solid product.
August 19, 2008 6:01:14 PM

Heya,

Hrm. Thanks for the insight. I guess you really need a controller for them that is very specific to the new tech; otherwise, it just can't use it properly. I've seen a lot of those kinds of things on my searches. I like the speeds I'm seeing though while maintaining a very low access time. Probably just have to research controllers more and see what happens over the next few months in terms of things made to support it. Until then, I'm happy with my 7200rpm RAID, because it costs virtually nothing to setup with cheap equipment and outperforms a single 10k rpm drive fine enough for my fancy. I'd just love to skip that 10krpm check point and go straight to SSD. Alas, still a bit aways.

Very best, :) 
!