S-Video ---to---> Console?

xaelee

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
Hello!

Right now i currently have an ATi x1300 PRO video card. im ocupying both the DVI and VGA outlets to run dual monitors. i have another slot, i believe its S-Video. i cant afford a tv right now so i was wondering if there was some way to hook up a game cube to my computer so that it would display on my monitors.

i have some adaptor thing that splits into three outlets. the 3 normal plugs you use to plug into your TV from the gamecube fit into this adaptor however the colours of the adaptor are green, red, and blue. i dont know which goes where and whatever if it's even suposed to be goin into here. if some how i figure that out, is there a way for me to play gamecube on my monitor?

please note the cube is my friends and he just likes to play games at my place. im not gona sell the cube for a tv or something extreme like that.

any cost free sugestion would be nice =D

if theres a cheap or reasonable alternative, i woudlnt mind hearing those. i hope to widen next years budget so i could grab a tv or something. thanks!

GuyAmI

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
For the X1300 series they can do HDTV output and that's what your green/blue/red adaptor allows your ATI card to do, output to an HDTV.

But it doesn't look as if you'd be able to do video in. Everything I've seen says that the X1300 series can do video out quite nicely, but they can't do video in.

Actually, if you're happy with the video quality on your monitors, there's an option that would save you the cost of a TV. You could always get a TV card so that you can both have video in (hook your game cube up to your comp) and watch TV on your comp. That alone would save you however many dollars since it'd be cheaper to get the TV card instead of a television.

Plus, if you have a particularly good gaming session your can use the TV card to record your exploits.

SIMJEDI

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
You hafta be careful in what type of card you choose. If you choose a card that has hardware encoding on it such as a Hauppauge PVR-150 you will have a delay from input to monitor out from the encoder. There is a hack that you can apply via the registy to turn it off though, but it mainly depends on what driver version for the card you have. Some work and some dont. The PVR series from (http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/compare/compare_pvr.html) are some of the best you can get for recording since they dont require a very fast processor to record video making them ideal for older systems and multi-tasking. Also when you do the registy hack you cannot record with the encoder since it will be turned off.

If you dont care about recording your input you can get one without a hardware encoder built in. These have zero delay and are ideal for video gaming since there will be no waiting to see your game pad input to display....lol

For this type of card I would recommend the "Hauppauge WinTV Radio" (http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_401.html) This one gets you a s-video input for better quality.

I wouldnt bother with the WinTV2000 viewing app that comes with it. A much better viewer can be found with the dScaler 4 (http://dscaler.org/about.htm#dscaler4) program.

Hope this helps.

peace

SIMJEDI

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
**EDIT**

I should have mentioned this earlier, sorry.

dScaler4 DOES NOT work with hardware encoding cards.

xaelee

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2007
ah, thanks for your posts, but i already tried tv tuners hehe. im running vista 64bit at the moment. its very hard to find vista drivers for tv tuners, and for vista 64bit, ive found it quite impossible. i know of this solution you guys are talkin about (not quite the awesome details you guys put in, thanks!) but ive tried failed (did it the past week). when tv tuning drivers start to get compatible with my computer, ill go after those for sure =D

thanks guys, im glad when i always learn something from every post!