Sign in with
Your question

Unable to locate a runas process...

Tags:
  • Security
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
April 20, 2010 7:17:09 PM

I have inherited an image (for one of our products) that I can't get the "Runas" process to work.

XP, SP3, latest / greatest patches;

I have confirmed that I have the Secondary Logon service running;

This is what my "run as" is trying to do: We sell kiosk-like systems for hospitals. We ship our systems to boot to a logon screen so our field employees can configure the system and network settings. Once they log out and log back in with the "Customer" account, I want to fire off a startup script that writes sets the registry to auto-logon with that customer account & password.

So I wrote three scripts - one that launches my little "Runas" script, the "Runas" script it self, and a final one to clean up the initial "launch" script from the "startup" folder.

The script will launch and call my "Runas" Script - and I *know* that the reg import bit works fine if I do it manually, but it hangs up with a "unable to locate runas process".

The script I wrote is dead simple:

runas /user:ADMINISTRATOR "regedit /s c:\support\autologon.reg" | c:\support\utilities\sanur.exe (admin Password)

I have tried running this manually from the desktop under both my user logon AND my admin logon - no joy.

Now, here's what's odd: I have a different platform where I run this and it works just fine.

I think that my troublesome image was locked down pretty thoroughly by a now-departed engineer, but I can't figure out what he's did to block "runas". I'm not seeing anything in Group Policy that would block me...

Any suggestions would be helpful!

More about : unable locate runas process

a b 8 Security
April 20, 2010 8:18:12 PM

BigOldHarry said:
I have inherited an image (for one of our products) that I can't get the "Runas" process to work.

XP, SP3, latest / greatest patches;

I have confirmed that I have the Secondary Logon service running;

This is what my "run as" is trying to do: We sell kiosk-like systems for hospitals. We ship our systems to boot to a logon screen so our field employees can configure the system and network settings. Once they log out and log back in with the "Customer" account, I want to fire off a startup script that writes sets the registry to auto-logon with that customer account & password.

So I wrote three scripts - one that launches my little "Runas" script, the "Runas" script it self, and a final one to clean up the initial "launch" script from the "startup" folder.

The script will launch and call my "Runas" Script - and I *know* that the reg import bit works fine if I do it manually, but it hangs up with a "unable to locate runas process".

The script I wrote is dead simple:

runas /user:ADMINISTRATOR "regedit /s c:\support\autologon.reg" | c:\support\utilities\sanur.exe (admin Password)

I have tried running this manually from the desktop under both my user logon AND my admin logon - no joy.

Now, here's what's odd: I have a different platform where I run this and it works just fine.

I think that my troublesome image was locked down pretty thoroughly by a now-departed engineer, but I can't figure out what he's did to block "runas". I'm not seeing anything in Group Policy that would block me...

Any suggestions would be helpful!

[#0005ff]Have you tried prefacing that code with another "net user administrator active:yes" ?[/#00055ff]
m
l
!