Sign in with
Your question

Trouble with format/reinstall xp

Last response: in Windows XP
April 21, 2010 12:57:41 AM

Hello,
I had some bugs on my hard drive and I wanted to do a format/reinstall, however, I go thru the normal procedure of booting from cdrom but nothing happens and the computer keeps loading like there was no cd. I tried doing the same procedure on a win2000 system and it seems to boot from the cd, so the cd must be ok. Then I tried attaching an external cdrom and it still doesn't boot the cd, so the cdrom should be ok, what else could it be?
April 21, 2010 1:06:51 AM

Try disconnecting any other optical drives, and your hard drive. This will force the PC to boot from the CD or not at all.

Also, try using a few drops of water and a soft cloth to clean the disc. some optical drives read discs better than others.
m
l
April 23, 2010 6:48:47 PM

alright, i got around to trying your suggestions, and I disconnected the harddrive and it worked and went directly to the windows setup page, but, it couldn't continue because it couldn't detect a hard drive connected, so what can I do now?
m
l
April 23, 2010 6:58:22 PM

Ok, so now we know that it can boot correctly. You can do one of two things:
1. either go back a page, connect the hard drive, then go to the next page where it looks for the hard drive. It should now be showing up.
or
2. Cancel out of that. Go back into the BIOS, and disable every other boot device, except for the CD drive. Save the changes and exit.

m
l
!