8800GT Stock Fan Question: Which brand provides the best stock fan?

Javno

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
Hi. I'm going to buy an 8800GT very soon. Usually I install a custom fan but on this occasion I'm just going to keep the stock one.

Now my question is: Which brand (Asus, XFX, etc) has bundled the most quiet and efficent fan with their card?

Even if one band includes only a moderately more quiet and efficent stock fan I will consider buying it above the rest.

Thanks for any information

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
AFAIK, they are use the same nVidia cooling at this point.

Later on, you may see different cooling, but the only thing separating the products now is the clocks and the brand name.

warlord12345

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
i dont think any brand really uses different stock fans.. imo they all suck.. they stuck a cheap and annoying fan on a high end card... guess it shows nvidia's budget. The cards bios locks @ 29% speed making the card silent however the load temps can go up 2 100c and the fan only works a bit harder when it reaches i believe 90c.. the bios sucks and whats worse this fan sound terrible when turned up.. ur better off buying the cheapest 1 and then spending £20 on seperate cooler.. i recommend thermaltake duoorb, i got 1 .. easy to install and very effective.. idle 35c and load 49c this is with the thermalpaste supplied in the box xD cant imagine artic siilver 5 on this :p. i would like to OC my card since i have the cooling but vista 64 pain in ass when comes to gfx :p

eck

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2005
Like the others have said, the stock fans are all about the same. As warlord mentioned, the bios locks at 29% until 90C. For my BFG 8800 GT OC, there is a BIOS update that fixes this issue and scales the card's fan higher as temperature increases. The card runs cooler, but I can hear the fan at times (it's not bad, though).

pauldh

Illustrious
eck, have you took notice of the fan speeds with BFG's new bios? What does it idle at? 29 % still, or did they up that? Do you have any ide when temps and fan speeds it uses now?

I may flash my 2 BFG 8800GT OC, but don't want the card to be above 39% in 2D. I also don't want to flash it to speeds where it ramps up and back down again too constantly. Would be nice to have 39%, kick up to 59% for mild gaming and they up again at 70 degrees, but I would hate to exit a game and have it swich back and forth between 39% and 59% over and over for a while. I had a chipset fan do that in one system and I eneded up pulling it and putting in a passive Zalman northbridge cooler.