Well the G92 8800 GTS 128 SP benchies are out and I was right...

mitchellvii

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Here are the test results.

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/1234/nvidia_geforce_8800gts_512mb_g92_tested/index.html

I came here a month ago saying that this would be the configuration of this card. I was told I was childish, foolish and an idiot for believing anything I ever read on Fudzilla (which is where I first heard about it).

I was told by a resident uber-Guru that there was NO WAY Nvidia would release a 128 SP version of the GT this year. It was just impossible and that the new G92 had actually been designed with a maximum of 112 SP's (which I said was "nuts" at the time).

I was abused and insulted - I was told I was "just dreamin" and "needed a reality check". And yet, I was right. Of course, I will expect a full apology from said "guru". Lol, not.

Here is the final comment from the tests:

"We thought we would do a quick little overclock of the card before we wrapped things up. With a core speed of 720MHz and 2104MHz DDR on the 512MB of GDDR3 we managed to climb up and over 14,500 in 3DMark06!. It will be interesting to see what the likes of BFG and ASUS do with their OC2 and TOP models respectively.

8800GTX stock has pretty much dried up and is overpriced now. The Ultra is just an absolute sick waste of money and the 3870 really has nothing on the new G92 based variant of the 8800GTS. This means that if you%u2019re looking for a top video card this Christmas the 8800GTS 512MB is probably going to be the card you%u2019re looking at.

Flingpoo

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2007
clap.gif

mitchellvii

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Blimey, you're a little bitter aren't you?

EXTREMELY BITTER. I hate pontificating forum bullies who abuse people and then end up being totally wrong.

Yep, this is a pure 100% "told-you-so".

I don't want to post the thread where I was so abused because then I would be directly flaming someone. He knows who he is.

ganpachi

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
if my 8800GTS320 went from 9500 3dmarks to 13500 after OCing, and this card starts at 14500, then I can't wait to see what I can get out of it...

mitchellvii

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Stemmin,

I have until February before my EVGA "step-up" on this 8800 GT expires. I want to see if the rumors of a dual-gpu G92 card coming out in January are true and what it will cost before I make a move.

Honestly, every game I have except for Crysis (which I love) and WIC (which I'm bored with) play at huge FPS with everything maxed with my 8800 GT, so unless a card can crank Crysis at uber-quality DX10, I will probably hold back.

Plus, this GTS will probably be VERY hard to get before Christmas due to supply issues. I also don't want to buy the card until I know that Flextronics is making them. Price will be lower after Christmas.

Soo even if the 8800 GTS V2 us the bee's knees, I'll prolly wait.

ganpachi

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007

yeah, I have a q6600 at a cool 3.2. Actually I got the last 1k from OCing the shader clock. I think the CPU only added a few hundred to the final score. I just wish I could get the core up over 640. As soon as I hit 650+ it dies :(

the crappy part? I get bottle necked from my hard drive. I can't wait till solid state drives get a couple hundred bucks cheaper.

oh yeah, and the new gts 512 is gunna be SWEET!

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006

upping my bfg gts 320 OC to 625core/900 boosted my 3dmark 1503 points to 11210 (from 9707), i'm sure oc'ing my q6600 would give similar results, but I only have the stock hsf..

mitchellvii

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Yeah, I have an AMD 6000+ and although I will get FPS within "close" to a Q6600 in actual games, the Q6600 is gonna blow me away in a benchmark like 3DMark06. Most I have ever squeezed out of my GT is 11,500.

Oh well I'm still getting up to 160 FPS in COD4, lol.

I could REALLY get used to these lower cost high performing cards. Chalk one up to die shrinks and cheaper manufacturing costs. I still think these cards will sell for a premium, they will sell out, demand will up the price for a while. Just look at the 3870's they were $220 on release and a week later were $280. This is a $300 video card. With obviously OC cards costing more. I can see them coming out at $400. I will wait until they come down to replace my x1900xtx. I runs everything GREAT, the only games i cant really run on high are Crysis(obviously), World in Conflict,& Supcom.

and can we just say I was VERY impresses with COD4, it looks so good even on my x1900xtx. I love the multiplayer. WAY better then the Crysis multiplayer... but we will biatch about that in another forum.

mitchellvii

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Basic FPS rule of thumb:

If the game has lots of vegetation, your FPS are gonna be screwed. That's one reason why the lousy FPS on WIC never made sense to me. The engine on that must be a disaster.

COD4 is 10 times more detailed and action packed than WIC and it has 5 times better FPS.

mitchellvii

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2007
Regarding COD4, if there was ever a game that made me feel like I am "in" the action, that's it. I constantly find myself ducking, bobbing and weaving my head to avoid being shot, lol.

Crysis looks great, but it still feels like I am in a cartoon.

COD4 and WIC are 2 totally seperate types of games. COD4 si first person shoot and WIC is more RTS. I wouldn't put either of these in the same class.

I think that is a VERY accurate statement. I did feel more like I was in the game. When you run the screen bobs up and down which was annoying at first but i understand why now. The levels have alot of detail of just simple stuff, like there is a bed but has a teddy bear on it or old pots laying in the alley of some town. And it just adds to the depth of the game. I also like how it also make it hard to see other players. Snipers blend in way more and are harder to pick off. Its a WELL engineered game.

I don't think Crysis is Cartoony, I'm enjoying the single player game. It's still fun, the multipler just sucks. I paid $50 for it so i might as well play.

Team Fortess 2 is a CARTOONY game... haha and a fun one at that.