Coolermaster Cavalier 4 PSU replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

shav

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Hi all,
I've got a Coolermaster Cavalier 4 PC case which unfortunately came with a propietary PSU diemensions being 155 x 120 x 85 [ D x W x H ]. At the time 350W was enough for me but now I need to upgrade the PSU to about 600W.

http://www.coolermaster-europe.com/products/product.php?act=detail&tbcate=17&id=19

Just wondering if anybody has ever been successful in upgrading this PSU. Is there any PSU out there that could fit these dimensions or something extremely close?

Else, has anyone ever modded the box to allow a standard ATX PSU to fit in the case?

Any help greatly appreciated. I've asked Coolermaster support but no joy. Sorry if this question has been posted before but I tried the search function but it keeps failing with an error.

Cheers
Shav

I would measure the mounting screw hole positions and see if they line up with a standard atx power supply, or simply try an old power supply. It's mounted sideways, so a standard atx or micro-atx ps may work if the holes line up. Micro atx is limited to about 400 watts.

shav

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Cheers O1die for the response.

Apart from the width of 120mm, I believe the other diemensions of the PSU are ATX standard. Since it's installed on it's side, the standard height of 86mm would allow a normal PSU. The problem is the height of the case only allows a PSU that 120mm wide as opposed to the normal 140mm.

That's was I was just wondering if there any PSU out there that's not so wide. MicroATX won't work because I'm looking for about 600W in power.

Cheers
Shav

I would have sent you my old enlight 7200 desktop case; I donated it to goodwill. It was heavy duty; beige color with plenty of room for any standard atx ps. You could stand on it with it's brace. I got it at newegg for $33 several years ago. Only negative was lack of a rear fan.

shav

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Thanks for the offer o1die :)

If I can't find any PSU that fits, I'll probably cut a hole out of the top of my existing case and just fit a standard ATX. It won't look pretty but should do the job!

Cheers
Shav

Zomby Woof

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
To kostef and anyone else who stumbles upon this. I have a similar problem. In my Cavalier 2 the PSU is still good, but at 350W and 20A on the 12+ and cap aging, getting a little under powered for my rebuild. After much searching I found this site:

http://www.lotustronics.com/store.htm

The ATX SD series are the exact correct dimension! When I happened to glance at their "Slim desktop case" http://www.lotustronics.com/product/popuplt6012.htm
I was astonished. It is the Chassis for the Cavalier with a different frontplate! I contacted them and verified that they did in fact build the Cavalier 2 (and I guess 1 & 4) for Cooler Master and their ATX SD series will fit it :bounce:
I am getting the ATX-450SD. I don't think they are known for the quality of there products but I'm going to give it a shot since I like the case so much. Their website leaves a bit to be desired information-wise, so here's the info I got from sales on this PSU.

450W
12v+ @ 30A (single rail I'm guessing, but not too bad)
12v- @ 0.8A
Has standard 20 + 4 motherboard connector
No 6Pin connector for graphics, but you can use an adapter
No SATA connectors, again though - adapter

If you wanted anything more powerful than this it looks like your out of luck unless you want to cut up your case :( I will try to post here again and let you know how it worked.

mikemike41

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2008
Zomby Woof, did it work in your Cavalier 2, because have that same case too and problem. Before I go out to this company and buy this PSU I would like to know if it work for you. mikemike :hello:

Dondi_

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
I'd like to add to this thread as I own a Cavalier 2 that has a dead PSU (3rd time). Zomby, your info has been invaluable as I had been searching all over for an appropriate replacement to my MACRON POWER MPT-350D PSU. I found two places of interest via Zomby's post. The Lotus Electronics place and also a sanctioned Lotus Electronics reseller called usereasy.com. Being that these cases are so awesome and have been discontinued for quite some time (because of their awesomeness apparently), along with the proprietary PSU, I had a heck of a time finding a suitable replacement. I called the phone number on the Lotus Electronics site and they confirmed that they were the original manufacturer of the Cooler Master Cavalier cases. They also confirmed UserEasy as a reseller of their PSUs. Although the Lotus site doesn't have it on their site, they do make a 460W PSU. I got UserEasy on the phone and ordered two. One for now, and the other will sit waiting to be used when this one blows, saving me from another wild goose chase. Here is a link to the 460W PSU replacement for Cooler Master Cavalier case owners:

http://www.usereasy.com/product_11839.html

I hope this helps other going through what I have gone through in trying to save this wonderful case.

alecela

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008

Can't agree more that my cavalier HTPC case is SUCH a wonderful case that I don't necessarily see the new offerings from Origen & Silverstone to be far superior. Dondi, have you managed to get the PSU eventually and how does it work? Does it have switch for 110v-120v/220v-240v AC input? Unfortunately I live in HKG w/ 240v hence need to make sure the PSU is switchable. Does it have any 80plus ratings?

I was also thinking of getting the new Silverstone SST-ST45SF.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_spec.php?pno=ST45SF&area=usa

It's certainly smaller than the original PSU so I'm not sure how well it will fit the case. But it's got 36A on single +12v rail which would certainly prolong the life of my case for quite a bit more...

Dondi_

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011

I would suggest contacting UserEasy... They were great to deal with. The PSUs are holding-up beautifully. I am very happy with the 460 replacement. I am pretty sure it is switchable. My Cavalier has been saved

Status
Not open for further replies.