Sign in with
Your question

Onboard vs X-Fi???

Last response: in Components
November 29, 2007 1:08:36 PM

I'm building a new computer and was wondering if it is really worth getting an X-Fi. My mobo is the EVGA NF68-A1 board. I am running Vista which i know means I'll have to run ALchemy and was wondering if that will take just as much out of the CPU as letting it handle the onbaord sound. CPU is a Core 2 Duo e6750 and i have 2GB of OCZ Reaper PC-6400 (800MHz) RAM. I plan on over clocking both CPU and ram. If X-Fi is he way to go what option would be the bext...I plan on gaming so naturally I'm drawn to the gaming version or the Fatal1ty. Both of these use X-RAM, does this really have an effect?

I also would like a suggestion on speakers/headphones if anyone has any good ideas. I need surround sound for gaming, which can be either through speakers or a headset. If i go with a headset for gaming then I would need a nice pair of 2.1s for listening to music when there are other people arround. But if i go with surround speakers they should be able to handle both duties fine. I'm leaning towards the headset approach cause it seems the headset + 2.1 speakers is cheaper then a set of 5.1 or 7.1 speakers.

Any input on either topic would really be appreciated.
Thanks

More about : onboard

November 29, 2007 1:40:46 PM

Ok I have the Fatality X-fi it's really nice (Has that cool light on it) LOL
Here is the lowdown x-ram allot of BS nothing I know of uses it yet and if no other companies add this doubt anyone will. Will it be better of course it offloads some sound calculations off the proc to the one on the card but in real life we are talking 1 to 3 frames cool but not needed unless you are stressing your system already. And lastly I paired the soundcard up with a Logitech z5500 set of speakers for that holly crap the bass is making me miss people in UT3 LOL Also you can plug in headphones and get the cmss3d surround that the x-fi does....
November 29, 2007 1:46:19 PM

unless you are planning some EXTREME overclocks afaik you will not need to overclock the RAM, just the processor FSB to catch up with it.
Related resources
November 29, 2007 2:07:25 PM

Fatality...
On board sound is kack.
November 29, 2007 2:15:04 PM

hawler said:
I'm building a new computer and was wondering if it is really worth getting an X-Fi. My mobo is the EVGA NF68-A1 board. I am running Vista which i know means I'll have to run ALchemy and was wondering if that will take just as much out of the CPU as letting it handle the onbaord sound. CPU is a Core 2 Duo e6750 and i have 2GB of OCZ Reaper PC-6400 (800MHz) RAM. I plan on over clocking both CPU and ram. If X-Fi is he way to go what option would be the bext...I plan on gaming so naturally I'm drawn to the gaming version or the Fatal1ty. Both of these use X-RAM, does this really have an effect?

I also would like a suggestion on speakers/headphones if anyone has any good ideas. I need surround sound for gaming, which can be either through speakers or a headset. If i go with a headset for gaming then I would need a nice pair of 2.1s for listening to music when there are other people arround. But if i go with surround speakers they should be able to handle both duties fine. I'm leaning towards the headset approach cause it seems the headset + 2.1 speakers is cheaper then a set of 5.1 or 7.1 speakers.

Any input on either topic would really be appreciated.
Thanks

I really like the X-Fi card. The X-Ram doesn't seem to make much a difference, but I can play BF2 with the X-Fi sound setting and the game sounds quite a bit different, especially when you are flying in any aircraft. I paired this up with the Creative Inspire 7.1 speaker set. It's about $80 @ amazon with $20 rebate brings it down some. :)  Movies sound great and games do as well. I'm very happy with the setup.
!