Sign in with
Your question

Most Popular Issue Right Now: 8800GT card Lockups / Fixes and Help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 29, 2007 10:21:49 AM

I just got my 8800GT graphics card and was very excited like the rest of you until I ran into the constant lockup issue that has been going around. Heres my specs below to begin with.

EVGA 680i SLI MOBO
EVGA 8800GT SUPERCLOCKED version 650MHz 950Mem
Corsair XMS2 2GB RAM DDR2-800 4-4-4-12 2.1Volts
OCZ GamerXStream 700W PSU
E6600 DUAL CORE
Plenty of cooling Idle = (CPU 37, CASE 28, GPU 52) Load = (CPU 43, Case 32, GPU 72) "Tested with Crysis"

So what is going on with all of the 8800GT cards locking up? I know some of you got lucky and haven't been going through what the majority of use are. Please let us know your tricks and secrets to a flawless 8800GT card. I keep reading forum after forum with a majority of people having this same issue with these cards. I keep hearing many different ideas and fixes, but I am still not seeing any changes when i try those other then being able to run my game a little longer then before, but still locking up. I am starting to get a little frustrated with this card. Yes absolutely amazing graphics, but my joy is quickly turning into frustration after every time I want to play Crysis or COD4 it locks up after about 30 minutes to an hour. I have tried different drivers from 169.02 to beta versions like 169.09 and still same lockups. I have even tried underclocking my card and still same lockups. If anyone has some really helpful information on a fix for this major popular issue, please let all of us know.

November 29, 2007 11:05:27 AM

Bring down your clock speed...the mem should be 900 for Crysis. That should fix it.

I am not saying it is right, but it should work.
November 29, 2007 12:46:56 PM

I have read about this issue but I have never seen it appear on my system.. I have been running my 8800GT at 700/1000 for the last week or so and have not have one issue running anything at all.. the only problem is that since I keep the fan at 66% when its oc'd, the fan gets pretty damn loud... When is that HR03GT coming out anyway?

EDIT: My bad. That last question was rhetorical, I wasn't trying to hijack the thread.. ;) 
Related resources
November 29, 2007 4:31:00 PM

check your MB mfg and make sure you have the latest BIOS.
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2007 5:11:03 PM

What is your CPU voltage? From CPU-Z possibly please.
November 29, 2007 6:03:56 PM

Thank you guys. Please continue with the tips and I will let you know as soon as one works. I will try all of these things and keep you up to date. I believe I have set it to 600 and 900 before, but I will try again.
November 29, 2007 6:06:41 PM

evongugg said:

Hey Everyone. I have checked my CPU voltage using CPU-Z and it is going back and forth from 1.168 to 1.176 to 1.184. Also its not overclocked at all and set to 2.4GHz. Please let me know your thoughts on this.
November 29, 2007 6:09:00 PM

Hey quick thought. I read somewhere that one guy who was having this issue, turned off a setting called Cool n Quiet in his bios and he never saw a crash again. I have the EVGA 680i board and I dont have that setting. Is there something similar to that in my bios?
November 29, 2007 6:44:46 PM

evongugg said:

Ok this is weird. I checked my amps on my rail using fan speed ver. 4.25 and it reads +12v: 9.54Volts, but when i check it in my bios it reads +12v: 12.24V. What in the heck does that mean? Heres a link to my PSU. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
November 29, 2007 7:27:53 PM

I have been using a BFG 8800gt OC no tweaking except the fan and it has been running flawlessly for about a month now. I had no idea anyone was even having problems lol.

Have not played Crysis on my rig, but I play plenty of CoD 4 for hours and hours and never have any problems or slow downs
November 29, 2007 9:08:39 PM

Spitfire7 said:
Ok this is weird. I checked my amps on my rail using fan speed ver. 4.25 and it reads +12v: 9.54Volts, but when i check it in my bios it reads +12v: 12.24V. What in the heck does that mean? Heres a link to my PSU. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

i don't know about that, but your PSU is a great one. It has A LOT of power...and plenty of amps on v12 line to run your whole system...hell it probably could run 3 of them. However, I am not sure about the bios question.. =/

Reference: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?CurImage=1...
November 30, 2007 1:14:53 AM

Well thanks qmalik. I guess I dont understand then. I have 4 12Volt rails and each one only puts out 18Amps. I was told that these 8800GT cards requier 24 Amps per rail. Am I wrong?
November 30, 2007 1:36:59 AM

Spitfire7 said:
Well thanks qmalik. I guess I dont understand then. I have 4 12Volt rails and each one only puts out 18Amps. I was told that these 8800GT cards requier 24 Amps per rail. Am I wrong?

lol. NOT per line. just in total. I only have 2 v12 lines, both are 17 amps (which = ~330W or something)....and that is more than enough to power everything in my system including the 8800GT....your PSU like 2x as powerful as mine - you have 4 v12 lines all 18amps (680W)...so you can run a lot on it. You PSU is fine - unless it is somehow defective. However, I personally think there is a better chance your 8800GT is defective than your PSU - but I don't know.
November 30, 2007 1:46:17 AM

qmalik said:
lol. NOT per line. just in total. I only have 2 v12 lines, both are 17 amps (which = ~330W or something)....and that is more than enough to power everything in my system including the 8800GT....your PSU like 2x as powerful as mine - you have 4 v12 lines all 18amps (680W)...so you can run a lot on it. You PSU is fine - unless it is somehow defective. However, I personally think there is a better chance your 8800GT is defective than your PSU - but I don't know.

Cool thanks man thats awesome to know. So heres something weird though. I have checked in my bios how much power I am getting on my 12v rail and it says 12.24. When I check it in Windows using SpeedFan it only says 9.54V. Could this mean that my windows is causing it to lose power?
November 30, 2007 2:15:16 AM

Spitfire7 said:
Cool thanks man thats awesome to know. So heres something weird though. I have checked in my bios how much power I am getting on my 12v rail and it says 12.24. When I check it in Windows using SpeedFan it only says 9.54V. Could this mean that my windows is causing it to lose power?

I really doubt it...It would make more sense to say at your computer needs more power at startup than ones it sends and idles in windows...but I am not really knowledgeable in that area.
November 30, 2007 2:23:38 AM

Qmalik, dude your awesome, you have helped me out a lot. So as of right now, I was just playing Crysis at 600MHz and 900Mem for about an hour without lock-ups. I did have to turn my 4xAA to off though. I did notice a big loss is FPS. I am still taking suggestions though.
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2007 2:29:42 AM

Speedfan is reading your +12V voltage wrong, if it was that low, chances are the PC wouldn't even boot let alone play crysis.
November 30, 2007 2:31:32 AM

randomizer said:
Speedfan is reading your +12V voltage wrong, if it was that low, chances are the PC wouldn't even boot let alone play crysis.

Ok cool, thanks randomizer. You have helped me a lot too. I appreciate it.
November 30, 2007 5:05:33 AM

I think you should RMA it..and when you get the new card ...set fan speeds to at least 40% (I have mine at 60%) and run it at stock speeds. The is the safest thing to do and I highly recommend it. Overclocking is overrated =P - I don't do it until I can't get 40 FPS on high settings with current games...excluding Crysis.
November 30, 2007 5:43:46 AM

qmalik said:
I think you should RMA it..and when you get the new card ...set fan speeds to at least 40% (I have mine at 60%) and run it at stock speeds. The is the safest thing to do and I highly recommend it. Overclocking is overrated =P - I don't do it until I can't get 40 FPS on high settings with current games...excluding Crysis.

Sound like a plan to me too. I have already RMAed it and the card is in the mail being cross shipped. Man, that Crysis game is the coolest game I think I have ever seen. Its on equal par with COD4 and maybe just a bit better because of how much more you get to do. So I play it with everything on high and without AA for best graphics and performance now that I had to underclock my card. So what in the heck would it look like on Very High settings and why cant I even get those options? They are black out on my game.
November 30, 2007 6:52:11 AM

Ask for a refund. EVGA has shipped another batch of cards with bad ram. Due to them having a super ghetto testing lab and using outside contractors they are replacing your card with the same card and the same problem. This is the trend that has sent me running to any other card maker out there.
November 30, 2007 10:48:54 AM

I just ran Crysis for about 3 to 4 hours on high graphics and with fan speed at 70% with the card underclocked to 600Mhz and 900 Ram and never once did I get a lock up. I am pretty happy, but still think its lame I am having to underclock it.
November 30, 2007 11:43:52 AM

my 8800GT didnt show any problems (thank god). n i played cod4 for hrs without any kind of lockups.
November 30, 2007 4:04:35 PM

Hi all,

I've been following this thread (and others) about 8800GT lockup problems. I just installed an XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog XXX edition (670/1675/1950 factory overclock) and everything was great...until.. I started playing COD4 multiplayer.

Boom, screen went to green artifacts and froze. I started doing research and thought that it may be overheating so I set up some Rivatuner fan profiles and kept the GPU core temp <= 70C. COD4 ran fine for awhile but last night it consistently froze several times within minutes of joining a server. Other games like Gears of War and World in Conflict run fine for hours at max settings. I noticed that COD4 seems to work the GPU more because the GPU temps go higher than any other game I play (don't have Crysis). Still, the GPU temps stay at 70C and COD4 locks. I reduced my core to 650 and memory to 900 MHZ and was able to play COD4 single and multi for 20 minutes with no problems. I didn't have time to test it any further. I am considering RMAing back to XFX. In the meantime I ordered an OCZ Gamestream 700W PSU (currently using Antec Neopower 480W with 33A on 12V rails)

I was running a 7950GX2 and everything was 100% stable albeit a lot slower! :) 
Currently using the same driver set, too. 169.04.
November 30, 2007 4:15:07 PM

So my 8800GT came today (It's an EVGA 512-P3-N802-A1).

It is factory OC'd to 650 / 950.

Even on the default fan speed, it never got any hotter than about 70C playing Hellgate London, so I figured I could OC it no problem if I upped the fan speed. I was also able to play Crysis pretty well, and I ran 3DMark06 successfully (more than doubled my score from my 7800GT).

I set it to 700 / 1000 (using PowerStrip, whenever NTune would try to find a good OC it would end up UNDERCLOCKING it down to 550) and set the fan speed to 70% (in nTune). I played Hellgate London again, and again, it never got any hotter than about 70C or so with the new OC and Fan Settings.

I tried 3dMark06 and it froze 30 seconds into the first test. Also, Crysis wouldn't run. It would go through the intro, I would load a saved game / start a new one and my computer would slow to a crawl. I had to hit the reset button.

Is my card faulty and does it need to be RMA'd? If it isn't running hot, why wouldn't it be able to be OC'd to 700 / 1000?
November 30, 2007 4:42:55 PM

I have an evga 8800GT stock model with reference model clocks... 600 core, 900 mem... I had freeze ups with crysis after 20mins to an hour... I added more cooling to my case, i bought the Duorb VGA cooler and it lowered my temps a TON... but i still got freezes... My core temp wouldn't ever even hit 60 playing crysis but i would still get freezes.

I tried everything i could think of, you name, i tried it, I'm not new to gaming PC's at all... finally... i opened up the side of my case and I have a small fan about 12" in diameter right next to my case blowing on high... all of the sudden... i could play for hours with no lockups.

From what i can tell... it's not the GPU core temp that was causing my crashes... it was either the memory or some other component... once i added the fan I don't get any freezes any more and I run at 680 core and 950 mem now without any problems.

I know it wasn't CPU related either, fully tested that.
November 30, 2007 8:57:08 PM

evongugg said:
Your CPU voltage is too low. it should be around 1.34v

http://www.techpowerup.com/cpudb/371/Intel_Core_2_Duo_E...

Hey buddy, are you also running your E6600 at 1.34v? I dont know if I want to mess with it unless everyone else's CPU volts are at 1.34v too. Let me know guys. Giving it more volts wont hurt it will it?
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2007 11:52:21 AM

Put your CPU voltage at the default of your motherboard. In CPU-Z the voltage fluctuates and shows a higher value than the bios. In CPU-Z you should see 1.34v.
December 3, 2007 8:25:16 PM

evongugg said:
Put your CPU voltage at the default of your motherboard. In CPU-Z the voltage fluctuates and shows a higher value than the bios. In CPU-Z you should see 1.34v.

Wow actually in CPU-Z it still says 1.176 to 1.184. Will I notice any performance increace if I up the voltage? It was set like that from default. I can maualy increase it, but could I do any damage to it if I do that?
December 3, 2007 8:59:44 PM

Me too, EVGA 8800gt reference card is having problems.

At stock, 600/1500/900, I got the "infamous red squares" during a number of games, like crysis, call of duty, unreal tournament 3, and fear.

After playing with rive tuner v2.06, I decreased mem frequency to 866 and everything worked great. (did that according to other threads)

I then increased core clock and shaders to 700/1755, with memory still at 868 and everything was fine.

So, I will RMA the card because the memory is rated at 1000.

Not impressed with the card running below spec.

I did get 3dmark06 to 14122 though with q6600 at 3.379, x38 and 4 gigs.

cut through everything except crysis.

December 3, 2007 9:06:01 PM

Good point. I got the Superclocked one that is 650 and 950, but I had to underclock it to 600 and 900 to play everything stable and so far so good after a week of long game play. RMA'ed it and new card is being shipped out, so we will see. EVGA told me that I probably just got a card with bad memory. They brought that up so maybe that is a common thing with these cards. I did hear somewhere else that someone thinks that NVidia had a whole batch of bad memory chips and that begins the issues that we are facing. I guess I am going to try that too and put clock speed back up to 650 and leave the mem at 900.
December 3, 2007 10:20:13 PM

Oh it worked nicely. I have everythihng on Very High with core overclocked to 700 and memory 900. If I move the memory up at all, I get crashes. Weird. So it must be bad memory on the card.
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2007 11:31:28 AM

Quote:
Wow actually in CPU-Z it still says 1.176 to 1.184. Will I notice any performance increace if I up the voltage? It was set like that from default. I can maualy increase it, but could I do any damage to it if I do that?

If this is your processor number, you are in the safe range up to 1.5v.
If you have it at default you don't need to change it though.

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9...
December 4, 2007 8:21:08 PM

To everyone, thank you all for the help. I got my new 8800GT Superclocked card in the mail today and it has continued to work beautifully right from the start. I have even been able to overclock it to core 700MHz and Mem 975 with very nice and stable results. So thanks all for teh ideas, but it turned out to be that the card I bought had a bad memory chip on it. Thanks guys.
!