Home 4-bay NAS Suggestions

drakonslair

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Hi I was looking for some help in choosing a NAS for home use.

I have Linux/OSX/WinXP/Vista running on various boxes at home and I am looking at a solution that will give me a centralised storage location for my files.

Looking for 4/5 drive bays ( planning on going for Raid 5 configuration ) and support for up to 4 TB.

I would prefer to have the ability to queue downloads ( BT/FTP/HTTP etc) directly on the NAS if possible. I know certain Thecus models do this and I think some of the new D-Link ones as well have the ability to do BT downloads. Some of the higher end models don't seem to have the support of downloading directly to the NAS

Price wise I would be looking at <= 600 Euros( $900 or so) [not including HDs]

I was interested in the Thecus N4100+ which seems to meet my requirements but from the reviews here it seems as though its lacking power and the noise level would be off putting for home use.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on alternatives that may be available.

Edit: Changed the vague title

rdepas

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ sounds like a good fit for you. Seagate also has the 1.5TB drives out for a very good price. NV+ supports 4 drives in different RAID configurations but by default in the X-RAID. 4 - 1.5TB drives would give you over 4TB usable space. Base chassis is under $900 US.