Does video card need to be installed for computer to power up?

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, even if you don't have onboard video.

When my GeForce 3 died my computer would still power up. At first I didn't even realize it was the card.

Obviously you get no picture.

PS - I meant "no" of course; sometimes I can't type straight.

pogsnet

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Yes, the system wont start without video card or will not boot eventhough without monitor but still video card is a must assuming no built-in video.

Though it will powerup but it will just keep on beeping. If any case it wont powerup something is wrong with your system.

4745454b

Titan
Does video card need to be installed for computer to power up?

For every machine I've ever played with, the answer is no. (meaning you don't need a video card for it to work.) Just like you don't need a TV to record something (watch city slickers) you don't need a VC to boot a computer. Obviously you won't be able to do anything, but it should boot. (onboard vs VC doesn't change the answer.)

4745454b

Titan
I'm sorry, I fail to read where he says he put a video card in and everything magically works. I would add a VC so that if/when it boots you can see what its saying. If you are so sure its the lack of VC, why don't you post that in his thread? His issue is related to the CPU, motherboard, or PSU. Not having a VC plugged in shouldn't be causing his issue.

ghmage

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
I do not think it is the video card. I was pointing out the dual threads.
I've had many headless servers, none of them required a graphics card to boot. I was not disagreeing with you, 4745454b.