Is this normal for Q6600?

VoidPhantom

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
From my rig, I have a DS3L and Q6600, and I have just overclocked it.

FBS: 333
Multi: 9
Voltage change: None

Temp Idle:
0: 37
1: 31
2: 31
3: 39

VID: 1.25 volts

RAM: 800 (PC6400) Downed to 667 with 4-5-5-13
FBS:DRAM : 1:1

Main question, Is it normal for me NOT to change the voltage?

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
It is until you start with real testing! Obviously its a G0. Where did you get the VID? Whats the VCore set in the bios. (If it lists Auto settings' values.) If you meant you set the VCore at 1.2500 in the bios... it would help to know its factory stamp.

Put everything back on auto, the VCore, the FSB and RAM, then make sure speed step is disabled, and run core temp v. 0.96.1 and record that VID. Then run prime or some powerful program and make sure the VID value in the core temp box doesnt change. Some do, so people say.

List that VID please? And make sure its a G0.

Main question answer. Yes and no. Some work a lil better than others at factory settings. I can get to about that with no vcore changes, but until you test, you wont know if its stable. It will boot easily several steps of vcore away from stability, but when you run a powerful program that needs processor cycles, it drains current, and will hit a lower level that makes it bomb out.

--Lupi

Perp

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
for 333x9 it's normal to not change the voltage

they will post and boot windows, but not always be stable needing a voltage bump to pass prime95 testing

you can check yours for stability and let us know, mine however wasn't stable but did boot windows and seemed to operate normally

VoidPhantom

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2007
Well, I just now figured out I can use SpeedStep along with it being overclocked to 3.0Ghz
The Vcore is 1.25V before and after, nothing changed. I'm guessing it is also factory stamp.

Tested SmallFFTs using prime95 for 16-17 hours, no errors and max temps at 60C.
Oh, and the temps kind of decreased. No clue how that occurred.

Before Overclocking (Stock w/o SpeedStep)
Untitled1.jpg

After Overclocking (w/o SpeedStep)
Untitled2.jpg

Overclocked (w/ SpeedStep)
Untitled3.jpg

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Looks good, and you have a very good VID. With decent cooling you can make her sing, and still be cold! On a true, I get 3.6 @ 62c @ 1.38. Thats with a VID of 1.2625! You have a better one!

I recommend a high speed, or sell me that chip! or trade/sell me the chip!

And some OC at stock voltages very well, some need a lil boost.

As far as the temps go, there are several tests in prime that do different things depending on ftt length and such. So your heat will peak, then level off at a few c below the peak values. Thats normal.

Gonna crank it higher?

--Lupi

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
And yes, VID is a factory stamp, because it managed to pass intels batteries of testing at a lower voltage for whatever reason.

Some boards/builds/programs will make it variate. But your processor has one somewhere. And so far from what I can tell, it DIRECTLY affects the processors performance.

Most will say that it doesnt, but they obviously cant read.

By all means, point me to someone whos low VID processor cant be OC'd due to the processor itself, and not the Mobo, or ram, or components! I've tested a few, and talked with others while they are testing, and so far, the lower the VID, the lower the heat, and the lower the power required to obtain a stable OC at whatever speed.

I have a 1.2625 and a 1.3000 G0 now, and the higher vid one acts just like you would expect. Its hotter, it needs more voltage, and it reaches the voltage vs. performance/speed threshold quicker.

(As in, when you OC the processor, you hit a point where the speed you get for the VCore cost is just to high. I can get 3.6 @ 1.38 VCore with my 1.2625 VID. The cores are cool. Thats an excellent value for VCore VS. SPeed! BUT... somewhere near that 3.6 a strange thing happened, but not unexpected, to get a prime stable 3.8... a mere 200 more Mhz, it now needs 1.51 volts. For a little more than that total raise, I obtained the 1200 Mhz extra for 3.6! Wow.)

And as expected, the high VID one reached that point quicker, needed 1.44ish to reach 3.6! So not only did it need the difference in value from VID's, it also need more on top of it because the voltage started higher to begin with, and it appears that the higher the voltage AS WELL AS speed and heat, makes you need more voltage! Its a neat little cycle.

Fun, fun! Cooler means you need less voltage to be stable at a certain speed, so if its hotter, I assume its the opposite effect! It appears to work with the tests I have done!

Blahblhablhababblebabble!

--Lupi