Striker Extreme Wont post, please help.

zcao1129

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
All parts are brand new. All I have pluigged in right now is a Q6600 and 2 DIMMS of 2 gig pc6400 Patriot Memory. When I plug in the power supply (PC Power and Cooling 750 watt) the LEDs are lit and the display on the back says CPU INIT. However, when I press the power button nothing happens. No fans turn on, not even the one in the power supply. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

NInCal

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
I just got a P5E and q6600. Same type of problem - motherboard power led comes on, the soundcard lights up, the fans come on..... and that is it... no power to usb, no post no beeps....

Just tried it with 4 different sticks of ram, nothing....

Just tried it with NO ram... didn't even make the fail beep.

I am assuming it is a motherboard fault, similar to those on the P5K posts in earlier threads.

zcao1129

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
I just took out my cpu and there appears to be a spot on the side that touches the pins that's slightly off color. It's a little darker than the areas surrounding it. So I have two questions. Could this have been caused by my motherboard? So if I got a new cpu would this happen again? And second, without my cpu in, what should happen when I try to turn on my mobo? Fans spin, beeping, etc?

First question: no, unless you had some smoke or sparks. Second question: not likely the cpu is the problem, unless you lined it up wrong on the socket. You can do the following with or without the cpu and you'll get some beep codes if you have a case speaker connected to the board. Take the board out of the case and place on a cardboard surface, such as a phonebook or box the board came in. Connect the main 24 pin power supply atx connector, the 4 (or 8) pin 12v ps connector, use only one stick of memory, (cpu/heatsink), video card with monitor connected. Locate the case connector pins. All you have to do is touch the 2 power switch pins with a screwdriver and the system will power up. With the case speaker connected, you'll get beep codes, which will id your problem. If your case doesn't have a speaker, you can buy bare small speakers at radio shack and probably jury rig one for your case. Connecting external speakers to your sound port on the back of the board won't give you beep codes. Good luck. The asus striker extreme should work right of the box with the q6600. I just noticed that the striker has 4 of the 8 pins covered for the 12v lead. Means that you can use an older ps with just the 4 pin 12v connector if your power supply doesn't have the 8 pin connector. Two last thoughts: be sure your memory stick is seated in the slot. If seated (installed) correctly, you should hear 2 clicks when pressing down as the outer tabs lock it down. And be sure the power supply lead is connected to the video card, if required.

zcao1129

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Yes I tried pressing the reset bios button. I havent been able to find a speaker to plug in yet and it doesnt appear that my Antec 900 has a speaker. However, even if I'm unable to hear any beeps, at the very least shouldnt the power supply fan turn on when I try and turn on the power?

Yes, if you've got the board on a non-conductive surface and the power supply leads are seated properly. The case leads are usually all together in one clump, with the speaker pins off to the side. Check the manual carefully. You won't harm anything if you install the power switch lead incorrectly within that clump or touch the wrong 2 pins with a standard flathead screwdriver. Those group of pins are all low voltage. But, the usb connectors can't be backwards, or you will get quite a reaction. Many folks don't bother removing the board from the case to get a bare post. But my experience is that it frequently works in case the board is shorting against an incorrect position standoff under the board, or other metal object touching the board. Even a backplate can cause problems when it's not square with the case; one corner being crooked can cause the board to press against metal and create a no post situation. Taking the board out of the case removes these possibilities. The hardest part may be getting the power supply wires to reach the board while it's on top of the cardboard. You may have to reposition the case to get those wires to reach or simply remove the power supply for the test.