Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Boot.ini problem

Tags:
  • Configuration
  • Dual Boot
  • Boot
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
April 21, 2010 9:18:18 AM

Hello,
I'd like to have a dual boot XP system with Win7 after I install Win7 64 bit. I did have dual boot but the main XP OS crashed and I'm now using my backup XP OS on the second partition on the second Hard-drive (E).
The first HD is one partition 500gb, but when I use the Recovery console and recreated the MBR and Fixboot and used bootcfg I got the system to boot. Unfortunately the new boot.ini was written to the first partition (C)instead of (E)- arghhh! As I'm formatting C I need the boot.ini elsewhere - thx.

Also I've googled for more info on bootcfg /redirect all answers were the same from the Help files and they were not helpfull.

More about : boot ini problem

Best solution

April 21, 2010 11:04:02 AM

Evolbob said:
Hello,
I'd like to have a dual boot XP system with Win7 after I install Win7 64 bit. I did have dual boot but the main XP OS crashed and I'm now using my backup XP OS on the second partition on the second Hard-drive (E).
The first HD is one partition 500gb, but when I use the Recovery console and recreated the MBR and Fixboot and used bootcfg I got the system to boot. Unfortunately the new boot.ini was written to the first partition (C)instead of (E)- arghhh! As I'm formatting C I need the boot.ini elsewhere - thx.

Also I've googled for more info on bootcfg /redirect all answers were the same from the Help files and they were not helpfull.



Windows 7 should take over the matter when you install it. It will overwrite or totally ignore boot.ini which is old hat now and has been replaced for Vista and "7 by bcdedit. Install W7 and don't go near the bootcfg command - it will upset things even more once W7 is involved.
Share
April 21, 2010 12:35:02 PM

Saga Lout said:

Windows 7 should take over the matter when you install it. It will overwrite or totally ignore boot.ini which is old hat now and has been replaced for Vista and "7 by bcdedit. Install W7 and don't go near the bootcfg command - it will upset things even more once W7 is involved.


Thanks Saga,
I considered that would be the case, but will I still be able to pick XP or Win7 as an option from a 'Dual Boot' menu?
And should XP get screwed up for whatever reason, can I either: reinstall to where it was, or install it to another partition or drive?
Ideally I'd like neither OS to have any *hooks* into the other OS.
m
0
l
Related resources
April 21, 2010 3:58:21 PM

Evolbob said:
Thanks Saga,
I considered that would be the case, but will I still be able to pick XP or Win7 as an option from a 'Dual Boot' menu?
And should XP get screwed up for whatever reason, can I either: reinstall to where it was, or install it to another partition or drive?
Ideally I'd like neither OS to have any *hooks* into the other OS.


[#0005ff]Inasmuch as Windows 7 likes to be in control - it's a Microsoft thing - it will have its hooks in XP but when my courtesy RC1 sunset, I just disabled it and XP boots onits own again.
[/#000ff]
m
0
l
April 28, 2010 5:10:29 AM

Best answer selected by Evolbob.
m
0
l
!