I/O transfer rate for multiple IDE devices

roamdog

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2004
I have two IDE DVD writers.

Am using an Asus P5Q Pro MB with 1 IDE port (supporting a master and a slave device). And I have a Rosewill RC-200 PCI IDE (ATA) Silicon Image RAID (0/1/0+1/JBOD) Host Controller Card that will support an additional set of IDE devices via the PCI slot.

Am I better off connecting both IDE DVD writers to the IDE port on the mobo as a master/primary and slave/secondary. Or am I better off connecting one to the IDE port on the mobo as a master and connecting the second writer as a master on the PCI slot IDE controller?

And why?

4745454b

Titan
First, I don't know about that controller, but I've played with some older ATA33/66 controllers that didn't support removable drives. Harddrives only, no Zip or CDroms. I don't know if thats the case with yours, but if it is, you have no choice but to use the motherboard.

Second, I'm going to argue that it doesn't really matter. The onboard IDE port is attached to the SB, as is the PCI bus. This means each should be equally fast. By using the PCI bus and a card, you might increase latency a bit, but I don't think you'd notice for DVD drives. You might see some slow downs if you try to read a disk from one drive while burning on the other. Even so, attaching them both to the onboard seems best.

TRENDING THREADS