Blu ray software

I have a VGN FW11M sony laptop that recently had to get repaired out of warranty, i had to have a new hard drive installed, trouble is a lot of software was pre-installed and now i have no blu ray software to work the Bluray DVD rom unles i pay Sony £50 for a new software bundle, is there any software i can download free of charge so i can at least watch movies etc or do i have to bite the bullet and pay, the hard drive failed a month out of warranty and that was after Sony had fixed it once, won't be buying anothe rone for sure.
16 answers Last reply
More about software
  1. No, there is no free Blu-ray player software available. It is too bad you did not make recovery discs while it was running fine. . .
  2. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html + addon http://vlc-bluray.whoknowsmy.name/ = bluray playback
  3. I correct my last statement:

No, there is no free and legal Blu-ray player software available.
  4. PhilFrisbie said:
    I correct my last statement:

No, there is no free and legal Blu-ray player software available.

Any reason why is that the case? Is Blu-ray playback some kind of licensed thing? A link to an article explaining that would be nice.
  5. Monkey With a Mouse said:

I still see no laws that forbid programming such player.
  6. Sunius said:
    I still see no laws that forbid programming such player.

In the US it falls under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DCMA), which prohibits bypassing encryption. Blu-ray discs are all encrypted, and the encryption keys available for download have been cracked, which is also illegal in most countries.

Now that I have said that, do not get me started on Fair Use and how this restricts it in the US. . .
  7. PhilFrisbie said:
    In the US it falls under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DCMA), which prohibits bypassing encryption. Blu-ray discs are all encrypted, and the encryption keys available for download have been cracked, which is also illegal in most countries.

Now that I have said that, do not get me started on Fair Use and how this restricts it in the US. . .

How does the paid software get to decrypt the content then?
  8. Sunius said:
    How does the paid software get to decrypt the content then?

They pay a license fee to One-Blue for the privilege. . .
  9. I see, that's BS...
  10. Sunius said:
    I see, that's BS...

That is the patent system. . .
  11. Patent System = Profit
  12. Monkey With a Mouse said:
    Patent System = Profit

Ideally, yes, but with software: Software patents = lock-in + lawsuits + lack of innovation
  13. + 1 ^
  14. i totally agree
  15. Monkey With a Mouse said:
    i totally agree

Thanks, but I still wish it were not true ;)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Sony Software Blu-ray Apps