Sign in with
Your question

Blu ray software

Last response: in Apps General Discussion
December 27, 2012 8:55:04 AM

I have a VGN FW11M sony laptop that recently had to get repaired out of warranty, i had to have a new hard drive installed, trouble is a lot of software was pre-installed and now i have no blu ray software to work the Bluray DVD rom unles i pay Sony £50 for a new software bundle, is there any software i can download free of charge so i can at least watch movies etc or do i have to bite the bullet and pay, the hard drive failed a month out of warranty and that was after Sony had fixed it once, won't be buying anothe rone for sure.

More about : blu ray software

January 2, 2013 8:49:46 PM

No, there is no free Blu-ray player software available. It is too bad you did not make recovery discs while it was running fine. . .
Related resources
January 2, 2013 10:28:43 PM

I correct my last statement:

No, there is no free and legal Blu-ray player software available.
January 2, 2013 10:44:05 PM

PhilFrisbie said:
I correct my last statement:

No, there is no free and legal Blu-ray player software available.

Any reason why is that the case? Is Blu-ray playback some kind of licensed thing? A link to an article explaining that would be nice.
January 3, 2013 7:00:19 PM

Sunius said:
I still see no laws that forbid programming such player.

In the US it falls under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DCMA), which prohibits bypassing encryption. Blu-ray discs are all encrypted, and the encryption keys available for download have been cracked, which is also illegal in most countries.

Now that I have said that, do not get me started on Fair Use and how this restricts it in the US. . .
January 3, 2013 11:11:15 PM

PhilFrisbie said:
In the US it falls under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DCMA), which prohibits bypassing encryption. Blu-ray discs are all encrypted, and the encryption keys available for download have been cracked, which is also illegal in most countries.

Now that I have said that, do not get me started on Fair Use and how this restricts it in the US. . .

How does the paid software get to decrypt the content then?
January 4, 2013 5:16:26 PM

Sunius said:
How does the paid software get to decrypt the content then?

They pay a license fee to One-Blue for the privilege. . .
January 5, 2013 7:21:56 AM

I see, that's BS...
January 7, 2013 6:22:59 PM

Sunius said:
I see, that's BS...

That is the patent system. . .
January 7, 2013 9:27:53 PM

Monkey With a Mouse said:
Patent System = Profit

Ideally, yes, but with software: Software patents = lock-in + lawsuits + lack of innovation
January 7, 2013 10:54:59 PM

Monkey With a Mouse said:
i totally agree

Thanks, but I still wish it were not true ;) 
!