Your question

4 physical CPU's versus 1 Quad Core

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Quad Core
  • Processors
Last response: in CPUs
November 29, 2007 10:26:47 PM

I have sort of a strange question to ask. About 3 years ago, my school built a Linux box that has 4 different Opteron processors and 16 gigs of RAM in it. The purpose of the system was to allow multiple students to run sessions on it and do most of their computer science related work on it.

I have a Q6600 in my desktop PC, and was curious how it would perform in purely CPU intensive appications. How would 4 different CPUs compare to 1 CPU with 4 cores in it? Unfortunately, I don't know the particular model of processors the machine has in it, but I do know they have to be 3 years old by now. I was also curious how other variables such as cache and FSB might affect each setup.

Any input is appreciated! :) 

More about : physical cpu versus quad core

November 29, 2007 10:43:39 PM

The Quad Core would win since each core is superior to the old CPUs.
(3 years of advancements.)

You can actually do what your school did with a single CPU system.
a b à CPUs
November 29, 2007 10:46:58 PM

Well the latency in communication between the 4 discrete CPUs would add a performance hit.
Related resources
November 29, 2007 10:57:41 PM

your system defintely has more proccesing power to it, just less ram (but who could use up all 16 gigs anyways!?!)
November 29, 2007 11:29:12 PM

This may be way off from the performance questions the OP asked, but
there wuold be more heat and energy wasted on 4 x cpus than a quad-core.
November 29, 2007 11:56:17 PM

starcraftfanatic said:
your system defintely has more proccesing power to it, just less ram (but who could use up all 16 gigs anyways!?!)

I'm pretty sure a Citrix/Terminal Services server would.
November 30, 2007 12:06:06 AM

UTNemesis said:
I have sort of a strange question to ask. About 3 years ago, my school built a Linux box that has 4 different Opteron processors and 16 gigs of RAM in it. The purpose of the system was to allow multiple students to run sessions on it and do most of their computer science related work on it.

I have a Q6600 in my desktop PC, and was curious how it would perform in purely CPU intensive appications. How would 4 different CPUs compare to 1 CPU with 4 cores in it? Unfortunately, I don't know the particular model of processors the machine has in it, but I do know they have to be 3 years old by now. I was also curious how other variables such as cache and FSB might affect each setup.

Any input is appreciated! :) 

The 4 Opteron cpus can be turned into 4 dual core and each has it own link to ram + the system may have more pci-e io. The intel quad core is limited by the FSB as well.
November 30, 2007 2:32:03 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm bound and determined to somehow objectively test the school's box versus mine in CPU tests eventually.
November 30, 2007 2:37:46 AM

Don't make the teacher cry.
Related resources
!