Devil_Dog

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
Just ordered a new system, looking for feedback. Possibly anything I should have changed(can still change it if I want).

Case: Digital Storm Twister PRO (Black Anodized Aluminum Finish)
Power Supply: 750W SilverStone Olympia (Dual SLI Compatible) (Model: OP750) (Silent)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz (1066MHz FSB) (8MB Cache)
Motherboard: nVidia 680i Core 2 Quad (By: eVGA) (nForce 680i SLI) (A1 Revision)
Memory: 4GB DDR2 Corsair at 1066MHz Dominator (Dual Channel) (Extreme-Performance)
Floppy / Card: - No Thanks
Hard Drive 1: 320GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Hard Drive 2: 320GB Western Digital (16MB Cache) (7200 RPM) (SATA)
Raid Option: - No Thanks
Hard Drive 3: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 1: - No Thanks
Optical Drive 2: DVD±R/RW/CD-R/RW (DVD Writer 20x / CD-Writer 48x)
Network Card: High Speed Network Port (Supports High-Speed Cable / DSL / Network Connections)
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 8800GT 512MB (By: eVGA) (PCI-Express)
TV Tuner: - No Thanks
Sound Card: Motherboard Multi-Channel High Definition Audio (7.1 Channel)
Physics Card: - No Thanks
Cooling: Air Cooled Stage 2 (Silent Artic Cooling Heat-sink (Copper Heatpipes)
Case Lighting: Blizzard Internal Lighting (Green Edition) (Cold Cathode Tubes)
Round Cables: - No Thanks
User Manual: Personalized Platinum Digital Storm Binder (Includes Paperwork/Benchmarks/CDs/Manuals)
Overclock Processor: Yes, Overclock the processor as much as possible with complete stability
Overclock Video Card: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my video card(s)
Overclock Memory: - No Thanks, Please do not overclock my memory
Tweak Windows: - No Thanks, Please do not tweak the services on the operating system
Windows OS: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium (64-Bit Edition) (For Enthusiasts)
Restore Kit: Digital Storm Specialized Recovery System (DVD Image Based)
Protection: - No Thanks
Office: - No Thanks
Benchmarking: - No Thanks
Pre-Install Game: - No Thanks
LCD Display: - No Thanks
Surge Shield: - No Thanks
Speakers: - No Thanks
Keyboard: - No Thanks
Mouse: - No Thanks
Warranty: 3 Year Platinum Care Extended Parts & Labor Warranty
Support: Lifetime Toll-Free Platinum Care Technical Support

Total Cost= $2,365.00

Iv got a sound card at home already (ExtremGamer). As far as the 8800GT, I can still do the Step-Up program in January/February :)

Any/all feedback welcome ^^

(This is from DigitalStormOnline.com, if anyone was wondering. Seems like a great company so far!)

aadamszc

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
Firstly, digital storm is great and all, but if you are looking for a good company with excellent warranty and tech support....I would go with no other company than avadirect.com. In my opinion, digital storm is way overpriced when compared to avadirect.

Other comments:
-Are you ever planning to go with SLI? If not, you could save some money on your motherboard.
-I'm not sure how highly rated silverstone is, but you might want to consider a different PSU. Search the forums for the "tiered psu listing"(sorry, I don't have the link right now). If you aren't doing SLI, you could also get a system with less watts. Say, around 600W or so.
-I sincerely doubt that you would see a difference between 800 and 1066mhz ram, but if you have the money....why not?

Other than that....

Welcome to the forums and Happy Thanksgiving.

Devil_Dog

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
Did the same system build (nearly the same, doesnt have cathode tubes, slighty different tower) and it came to $2394.76...and this was before shipping. After shipping it was $2476.05... DSO ships for free. Plus DSO is certified for the Step-Up program with eVGA. 8800GT($270 or so) is a nice down-payment on whatever the best card is in January/February. :D

I was also told the same thing about the psu at DigitalStormOnline; however the difference of going to 600W from 750 using the one I have ordered is $31.

As far as memory goes...well I have been using PC 2700 ram for the last 5 or so years...lol. From what I understand 1066 memory gives a better over-clock on the processor. Now I was wondering if I should overclock this ram? or maby the timing? I heard that timing is more important for games...not sure were I read that.

But thanks for the information though, I never new about avadirect.com.

Devil_Dog

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2007
Whats the difference between the 780i and 680i other then the SLI change? I also understand that they both can use the exact same processors (nothing different). heh and all the kinks have been worked out of the 680i.

Saved up since August to buy new rig, can't see waiting for something like that doesn't change much....can barely play Company of Heroes at the moment...lol.