Sign in with
Your question

Phenom 9700 VS Q6600

Last response: in CPUs
November 29, 2007 11:06:34 PM

I'm building a new midrange computer in the April - May timeframe next year. I've been thinking about getting the Phenom 9700 2.4 when it comes out next year. Then I thought about the Q6600 that has been out for a while now and might be changing my mind. The Q6600 should be very cheep next year and I will have a guarenteed G0 stepping. The phenom 9700 on the other hand will be new and probably not be that well at OCing.

I support AMD because they are the underdog but there comes a point where you have to look at your choices. I do not intend for this to be an AMD or Intel sucks topic. I just want to know if there is logic behind getting the Q6600 over the 9700 next year when it does come out? Is there any information to support that the Phenoms will have any uperhand at anything? Someone told me that they will be more responsive but I can't find anything to back that up.

Any info will help greatly. I know it's a long ways a way and everything could change by then but I like being informed ahead of time.

Thanks,
Andrew

More about : phenom 9700 q6600

a b à CPUs
November 29, 2007 11:55:38 PM

What do you intend to do with your PC?
November 30, 2007 12:20:02 AM

ok.... heres a general guideline

Future proof system? - Get AMD AM2+ or AM3 mobo with compatible processor. AMD is making it so that their AM2 and AM2+ boards will be forwards compatible with all AM3 processors.

AM2: no support for higher HT bus
AM2+: support for higher HT bus but no DDR3 support
AM3: higher HT bus and DDR3 but does not come out for a while yet

Want to run it till it sucks but with better performance now? Get the q6600

Intel has been really **** about being future proof lately. With ever new core model there is a need for a new chipset type. We've already been screwed over with core2 twice now. p965 is dead and wont support any processors newer than the qx6850. The P35 and P5B chipsets are pretty much dead because they wont support anything newer than penryn/yorkfield/wolfdale processors. When the Nehalem processors come out you will quite possibly need yet ANOTHER new chipset to get those processors. Now some boards offer forwards compatibility but that support is really sketchy, youd be better off just getting something cheap then max out the mobo you use and let it run till it sucks to rebuild.

unfortunately for me im stuck with a p965 board, so im pretty much screwed, in my case i would get a q6600 and run it till it sucks
Related resources
a c 127 à CPUs
November 30, 2007 12:21:28 AM

Well If I were you and I were buying a PC in mid April - May, you might want to see what they price the Q9350 at as it will be the Q6600's replacement plus will OC much better and run much cooler than either the Q6600 or Phenom 9700.

Price wise it will be the same time where they dropped the current Q series so it might be cheaper by then as Nehalem will be ramping for release in Q4 08.

All I can say in regards to your question right now everything for the Phenom 9700 series or higher is just paper. I cannot see any real advantage to getting it unless you plan on buying a nicer high end mobo that will support new technologies along with Phenom. That meaning a 790xx or higher.

I just think that the Phenom won't get much more in terms of performance even if they fix the current L3 errors as that won't boost performance much. Or at least According to AMD Cache doesn't help performance. I think maybe after a few revisions(higher than B3) they may get the chip running using less power but I doubt it will be as OC'able as a Q6600 or Q9350. Then again AMD hasn't normaly had the OC'ing uperhand where as Intel has.
November 30, 2007 1:03:23 AM

This is good information. Thanks a lot. The computer will primarily be a gaming PC. I've already got a 8800GTS and plan on buying another and running them SLI. It sounds as if I will go with Intel, whatever quad chip is reasonable at that time next year. The Extremes are way too much, I messed up buying my 4200 X2 for $460 when it first came out!
November 30, 2007 1:09:31 AM

No you did not mess up by buying your X2 for that price... if you got it RIGHT when it came out that system is now 2.5 years old... and it's just now showing it's age! I bought a 4400 at the same time for $600... never regretted it.
November 30, 2007 1:09:57 AM

Eviltwin17 said:

Future proof system? - Get AMD AM2+ or AM3 mobo with compatible processor. AMD is making it so that their AM2 and AM2+ boards will be forwards compatible with all AM3 processors.

Intel has been really **** about being future proof lately. With ever new core model there is a need for a new chipset type. We've already been screwed over with core2 twice now. p965 is dead and wont support any processors newer than the qx6850. The P35 and P5B chipsets are pretty much dead because they wont support anything newer than penryn/yorkfield/wolfdale processors. When the Nehalem processors come out you will quite possibly need yet ANOTHER new chipset to get those processors. Now some boards offer forwards compatibility but that support is really sketchy, youd be better off just getting something cheap then max out the mobo you use and let it run till it sucks to rebuild.

unfortunately for me im stuck with a p965 board, so im pretty much screwed, in my case i would get a q6600 and run it till it sucks
And Intel's own X38 chip can't run the QX9770 or whatever at 400mhz FSB.

Intel is really bad at future proofing. Although AMD screwed up big time with 939 to AM2.
a c 127 à CPUs
November 30, 2007 1:26:11 AM

kingoftherings , the X38 will not "Officially" support the QX9770 but this guy is wanting a mid end system though and I am sure he wont spend 1k on the CPU itself.

Also the P965 can run the QX6850 and even the QX9650. It is just up to the mobo maker to add it in the BIOS. The chipset is only for the power rating and "official" FSB support from Intel.

Also the chipset is also mainly newer hardware support. If you want PCIe 2.0 then yea you need the newest chipset as it is new as well. When SATA3 comes out(meaning roughly 600mb/s transfer rate per drive) for both AMD and Intel you will need a new mobo as the connector will change and will neeed to be built in for support.
a b à CPUs
November 30, 2007 1:30:05 AM

Intel isn't bad at future proofing, they could if they wanted to. But why when you can make people keep buying new mobos?
November 30, 2007 1:35:06 AM

randomizer said:
Intel isn't bad at future proofing, they could if they wanted to. But why when you can make people keep buying new mobos?

Yup. That's about the truth.
Call it "upgrading the platform, not just the CPU" strategy. That's what I call it.
November 30, 2007 1:51:24 AM

Well, Intel isn't too good at future proofing, but it could be worse. For example, my 975X board is based on an older chipset, but I can put in any 1066FSB processor including quad-cores. Penryn might give you some performance increase, but its not really enough to warrant someone with a Core2Quad already to go out and buy a whole new system. Just like someone who has a 1066FSB Core2Duo won't go out and buy a 1333FSB one or a Wolfdale, because they aren't a whole new architecture, just a small improvement.
a b à CPUs
November 30, 2007 1:51:39 AM

Well it's not like theres any real competition at the same price point, at least not here. A Q6600 is about the same price as a 9500 here. Intel knows people want their chips, and are willing to fork out the cash to upgrade everything for the best. AMDs "upgrade-friendly" strategy is nice, but not going to work well without similarly performing chips to go along with it. Now if AMD presses the emergency-uber-chip-release button and keeps this strategy, then I think Intel will have reason to loosen it's tie a little.
November 30, 2007 2:30:31 AM

By the time you build, the Q6600 would have been phased out by the 45nm based Q9300 and Q9450. As a result I believe the 9700 would take a price cut as well, in order to stay price/performance competitive.

Without knowing the exact pricing of the 9700 during April/May, it's too early to call which is the better value of the two, but undoubtedly the better performers will be the C2Qs, that much is certain.
February 9, 2008 9:43:00 PM

SOCKET AM2 PHENOM 9500 + CROSSHAIR
230 + 150 = 380

SOCKET 775 Q6600 + STRIKER EXTREME
260 + 170 = 430

Please dont caplock your replies or double post
February 9, 2008 9:59:18 PM

And why would you want Striker Extreme or Crosshair boards?
a c 127 à CPUs
February 9, 2008 11:56:33 PM

Yea I can cut almost $50 bck off of the Intel board by getting a P35 instead and be able to still OC the Q6600 to 3GHz thus putting them in the same price range :p 
February 10, 2008 5:03:54 AM

WHAAA??? there's a comparisson?
February 10, 2008 5:17:36 PM

randomizer said:
Now if AMD presses the emergency-uber-chip-release button and keeps this strategy, then I think Intel will have reason to loosen it's tie a little.

Sorry man, it doesnt look like the switch is connected to anything

February 10, 2008 5:25:32 PM

I think they should pull the button instead.
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2008 5:38:04 PM

Eviltwin17 said:

not really. See:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/12/26/phenom_motherboa...
February 10, 2008 11:23:56 PM

randomizer said:
Didn't you know AMDs uber chips need two 6-pin cables?

If they want to overclock them, it needs one 6-pin and one 8-pin
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2008 11:41:57 PM

Plus they need a 0.2V increase to the vcore to go above stock.
!