Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Changed Vista password the night before and now can't log in

Last response: in Windows Vista
July 14, 2011 1:21:11 PM

Ok this is may sound weird, but I changed my password at night before I went to bed and when I woke up in the morning I couldn't remember it... I have tried to remember it for 2 days now but I can't seem to get it. I have been forced to work on my old P4 laptop with 512 MB RAM and I am dying on the slowness... Anyway, I did some research on possible programs I can use to recover my password and I am not sure whether they are safe, in the sense that do they harm the computer (hardware or software wise) in anyway? I read of one program that causes the OS to give a hard drive error code on start up. Furthermore, which method is better: a hash generating algorithm or brute force algorithm? Please help.
July 14, 2011 3:05:33 PM

ophcrack -- will normally find the password for you in about 5 minutes.

Download the VISTA Live CD version and burn to a CD\DVD -- set the system to boot from the DVD drive in the Bios and reboot with the CD in and run the program -- it will list all of the user account passwords it finds usually within a few minutes but might take a little longer depending on the password and the speed of your system. But is a very helpful program for cases like this and will not cause any damage to your system since it does not load anything onto the system and best of all it is free !
Score
July 14, 2011 9:50:09 PM

JDFan said:
ophcrack -- will normally find the password for you in about 5 minutes.

Download the VISTA Live CD version and burn to a CD\DVD -- set the system to boot from the DVD drive in the Bios and reboot with the CD in and run the program -- it will list all of the user account passwords it finds usually within a few minutes but might take a little longer depending on the password and the speed of your system. But is a very helpful program for cases like this and will not cause any damage to your system since it does not load anything onto the system and best of all it is free !

Tried that program. it could not find it. Also, it is a free program but most of the tables were not loaded on it. It only had 4 vista tables... perhaps that is why it couldn't find it.... I don't know. Should I try again or what? Do my chances of finding increase with every run?
Score
Related resources
November 13, 2011 12:54:53 PM

If that is really great then is there any website for it to read more information?
Score
November 13, 2011 12:57:15 PM

Also,Where do you download the VISTA Live CD version?If it's a website what's the website?
Score
November 13, 2011 1:35:25 PM

COMPUdestroyer said:
Also,Where do you download the VISTA Live CD version?If it's a website what's the website?

On the Ophcrack link I put in the other post -- there are a couple different versions of the program - the one you want is the ophcrack VISTA Live CD version from the downloads (this version is a vista bootable disk so when you boot with it in the drive you can Start the program properly on your VISTA Machine and IIRC includes the tables.
Score
November 13, 2011 2:31:13 PM

Well I can't find that message.Can you re-post it?
Score
November 13, 2011 4:45:27 PM

Go here and download the one on the bottom (ophcrack Vista Live CD) - burn it to a disk and then set your system to boot from the DVD drive in the BIOS - place the disk in the drive and boot -- it will boot so you can run the program to find the password.
Score
a b 8 Security
November 13, 2011 10:15:54 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!