Sign in with
Your question

Temporary black screen and keyboard freezing on 8800GT?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Keyboards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 30, 2007 9:55:17 AM

Hey everyone.

Getting strange problem with something that I assume is my new 8800GT.

I did a pretty big upgrade on my 939 board, got an awesome 650 PSU power supply, a 185 Opteron dual core and a 8800GT.

Now I'm not too sure if it's the new PSU the 185 or the card because this problem only started happening when I got my new GT and was able to play the two games it's happening on. Bioshock and CoD4.

Pretty much what happens is it seems like my computer is going to crash and completely lock up. My screen goes black with no movement able to be done. My keyboard stops responding (lights get stuck on or turn off). But after about 10 seconds it resumes where it leaves off.

In CoD4 the games starts back up where it leaves off, the problem can actually be forced by myself by changing the resolution or by changing an other graphic option. In Bioshock the game crashes with an error.

I've heard people are having 8800GT errors is this one of the common ones? Planning on upgrading from 1 gig of Ram to 2 gigs today, just don't want to do more upgrades when my newer ones are causing problems.

Any help would be appreciated. :) 

More about : temporary black screen keyboard freezing 8800gt

November 30, 2007 10:30:21 AM

wht drivers are u using?--i've got a nearly similar setup like your's-check my config.check the temperatures too.
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2007 10:55:45 AM

If you're using Vista, that memory upgrade will help a whole lot.
Related resources
November 30, 2007 11:41:10 AM

Lol yep, our systems are almost identical, especially when i get my extra gig of ram... Using XP though and I just updated the drivers last night, but it was doing it before also with the drivers that came on the CD.

So current driver version is 169.02.

Oh and under load the temp is 62 degrees.
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2007 12:33:26 PM

Is your CPU voltage at 1.30/1.35v?
December 1, 2007 2:51:22 AM

Sorry for not responding earlier, not sure how to check the voltage, surprisingly after all these years still a noob to the hardware part of things.

Using my motherboards PC-Alert program though it shows voltages as this

V-Core - 1.35
3.3V - 3.38V
+5V - 5.05V
+12V - 11.89

The V-Core which seems to be the closest to what your asking is slightly fluctuating from being 1.35 to 1.37

If theres any way to check directly I will, just tell me how, thanks for the help. :hello: 
December 1, 2007 10:21:21 AM

Heres a small update.

Was just playing CoD4, now rather than screen turning black, it simply just froze, the sound sounded slightly scratchy and torn and was also froze, keyboard was locked up again. It would pick itself back up and on every 20 seconds (unlocked keyboard, resuming sound, and graphics moving normally).

No idea whats going on :cry: .
December 1, 2007 11:43:45 AM

scratchy sound? is it an nvidia nforce4 series mobo? i had the same issue with my board-upgrading the bios version got rid of the scratchy sound.
do get ur board checked.
December 1, 2007 2:42:19 PM

Personally, I *think* it's a temp issue. I had the black screen when playing COD4 twice. Both times I did not have Rivatuner turned on to control the fan speed.
December 2, 2007 3:24:19 PM

I really don't think its a temp issue atm. During CoD4 highest its ever gotten was 65 degrees and that was before I had rivatuner turned on.

It's just really strange that when my computer must change resolution that the slight freeze up starts. I even went to play Diablo 2 and the resolution in game was different than my desktop so it had took about a minute and a half for the game to load while the screen went black like usual with what seemed to be changing the resolution.

Just dunno why my keyboard is locking up when its doing that, or why its taking so long for it to even change.

Could it be my mobo is only 1.0 or 1.0a (not sure which) PCI-E compliant?
------------------

Edit: Well I changed my desktop resolution to the same thing as Diablo 2 was set up and it still did the lock up thing. But even changing the desktop resolution itself resulted in a temporary lock up.
March 11, 2008 10:31:59 PM

Sergey5 I have been having VERY similar problems as you are... I have an Inno3D 8800GT Overclock (overclocked in the factory) and i think there was about 3 weeks that it worked fine... then i started getting black screens while playing CoD4 (the only game i really play). It would occur randomly and sometimes every 30 minutes and other times not for hours on end during gameplay.

My experience was the screen goes black then 5 or so seconds later it flickers back on and I get a "connection interrupted" sign on CoD4 for the next 10seconds or more and then the connect is back to all good...

RECENTLY THOUGH... i updated my drivers to 174 from guru3d and it's been happening every 1minute or so...

I know it's not my RAM because i just got 4GB of it and it's not my PSU because I just got a new one when i got new ram...
I have a feeling that it is either my motherboard (680i chipset) or the graphics card.

I'm running VISTA and have a secondary install of XP on another drive. last night i started up XP and tried playing CoD4 on that... no luck. it was even worse.... the graphics went absolutely screwy...

it's not heat either because it's running very cool (about 70 degrees during game) and the side of the case is off too.

I will definately go get this card replaced but i can't afford to at the moment cause i need it for work.

Does anyone here know a solution???????

Thanks

UPDATE!

My mate came over last night and we uninstalled the chipset drivers for my mobo in vista and restarted... immediately following that vista was blue-screening on start-up and entered a perpetual reboot.
the fix to this was the put the vista install cd in and run the repair on the install... then I upgraded the chipset after it all was fixed.
so far i've done about 45 minutes of gaming and haven't got something yet. though i'm still skeptical because it's gone several hours in the past without blacking out...

March 11, 2008 11:07:53 PM

Sergey5 said:
I really don't think its a temp issue atm. During CoD4 highest its ever gotten was 65 degrees and that was before I had rivatuner turned on.

It's just really strange that when my computer must change resolution that the slight freeze up starts. I even went to play Diablo 2 and the resolution in game was different than my desktop so it had took about a minute and a half for the game to load while the screen went black like usual with what seemed to be changing the resolution.

Just dunno why my keyboard is locking up when its doing that, or why its taking so long for it to even change.

Could it be my mobo is only 1.0 or 1.0a (not sure which) PCI-E compliant?
------------------

Edit: Well I changed my desktop resolution to the same thing as Diablo 2 was set up and it still did the lock up thing. But even changing the desktop resolution itself resulted in a temporary lock up.

8800GT's cook the memory, doesn't matter what the GPU Temp is the GPU can withstand the heat the memory cannot....get the card replaced it's shot
!