Sign in with
Your question

Computer Losing Track of Time

Last response: in Motherboards
December 15, 2007 7:22:32 PM

I'm not sure where to put this...but my computer seems to be slowly drifting out of time. Every week or so, it loses about 4-5 minutes (this is the Windows clock, I'm not sure if that's based on the BIOS or not) early. Besides that, I've had no other relevant problems. Any way I can fix this annoying problem?
December 15, 2007 7:49:56 PM

You motherboard battery is starting to die. Take it out and buy a new one. If you don't when it dies all the way you wont be able to post at all.
a b V Motherboard
December 15, 2007 8:31:26 PM

roadrunner197069 said:
You motherboard battery is starting to die. Take it out and buy a new one. If you don't when it dies all the way you wont be able to post at all.

Load of BS - take the battery out of your computer and try starting it and come back to us with what happend.

Out of the thousands of motherboards i have worked on only one motherboard (PC-Partner, Pentium 2 days) didnt post because of a dead battery.
Related resources
December 15, 2007 8:43:08 PM

Good for you. But as we know it can happen. Info that op needs to know. Some boards rely on the battery to boot the cmos. New boards generally dont but hey. Does it look like he posted his stats? I've seen plenty of boards that wont post upon dead battery. So unless you have better info for OPs trouble, have a nice life.
a c 124 V Motherboard
December 15, 2007 8:43:09 PM

1. Battery. check Vbat in the bios...should be over 3
2. Spyware ect.... there is allot of trash out there that changes the time.....
3. Are you not syncing to MS? your time should always be accurate.

I have never seen any modern board not boot without a battery, just checksum and reset defaults.....and most when plugged into a wall use the psu power.....
a c 124 V Motherboard
December 15, 2007 9:47:33 PM

Tested 3 older boards with no battery :) 

A64 3200+
Celeron 266(yeah, its old)
Celeron 800 @ 1.06

December 16, 2007 2:21:14 AM

Sorry, I should've been more clear. I have a new (2 monthsish old) Gigabyte P35 DS3R. I'll check Vbat right now. Also, how do I sync to MS?

EDIT: Found no mention of vbat in the manual or the BIOS.
December 16, 2007 2:41:45 AM

To sync you click setting in your clock program, then click the internet time tab and make sure its set up to sync. It should be by default.
a c 124 V Motherboard
December 16, 2007 3:15:49 AM

Speedfan should show your vbat. double click on the clock to check if internet time is on.....Maybe MS time is too fast....you can try with it off :) 

EDIT, just check the bios. No vbat. Asus spoiled me......either way on a new board its unlikely to be dead or even low....
December 16, 2007 3:25:09 AM

Alright, it's synced up, seems like it was only doing it every few days or something. Vbat is at 3.09.
a c 124 V Motherboard
December 16, 2007 3:26:33 AM

you should be good down to at least 2.8 in most cases....maybe even lower....with that said, I have only ever changed a PC battery once....the computer was made in 1993 so it was due....and even it was not loosing time yet......
December 16, 2007 3:28:37 AM

Well, I guess since the battery is fine I've got nothing to worry about. Looks like I'll just be setting time manually from here on out. Thanks for the help.
December 16, 2007 3:31:18 AM

Maybe your firewall is preventing you from connecting to time server.
December 16, 2007 4:08:33 AM

If taking the battery out of the mobo causes it to not boot, then either put it in the Smithsonian or throw it in the street.
December 16, 2007 1:09:37 PM

Zorg said:
If taking the battery out of the mobo causes it to not boot, then either put it in the Smithsonian or throw it in the street.

I disagree. Maybe to some but most motherboard will boot without battery. Battery is for time only. BIOS setting is thru EEPROM which means no need power to maintain data like HDD.
a c 124 V Motherboard
December 16, 2007 5:54:11 PM

pogsnet said:
I disagree. Maybe to some but most motherboard will boot without battery. Battery is for time only. BIOS setting is thru EEPROM which means no need power to maintain data like HDD.

Its a well known fact that bios "settings"(not the bios it self) are volatile thats why you can remove the battery to clear it(unplug the psu and hit power to discharge as some boards use the psu to keep it alive)

So the bios itself is stored in EEPROM(Electronically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory) but the settings are in in volatile cmos memory.
December 16, 2007 6:09:28 PM

Well, I've lost 35 seconds since I synced it last night. Oh well...anyways, does anyone know how to up the frequency that Windows syncs its clock?
a c 124 V Motherboard
December 16, 2007 6:24:41 PM

windows by default syc's once a day

It may well be a defect....if it bugs you. try to see if you can rma it....better yet to rule out windows, leave it overnight in the bios(on the screen where you see the time) and see if it looses anything in there....if it does its a defect....There is a little silvery capacitor looking thing(do not know the name for it, but its in watches too, it keeps time :)  ) that keeps time....they can be defective....but are not user replaceable for the most part

this little sucker
December 16, 2007 10:12:13 PM

nukemaster said:
windows by default syc's once a day

It may well be a defect....if it bugs you. try to see if you can rma it....better yet to rule out windows, leave it overnight in the bios(on the screen where you see the time) and see if it looses anything in there....if it does its a defect....There is a little silvery capacitor looking thing(do not know the name for it, but its in watches too, it keeps time :)  ) that keeps time....they can be defective....but are not user replaceable for the most part
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/2884/hpim1550pi9.gif
this little sucker

I believe its a Crystal oscillator
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_oscillator

I have heard them called something else but cannot recall the name
a c 124 V Motherboard
December 16, 2007 11:00:31 PM

yeah thats it :) 

[/hi-jack]
December 16, 2007 11:45:41 PM

roadrunner197069 said:

Wow. I'm speechless.
December 17, 2007 12:20:41 AM

Windows is syncing every week for me. Not sure what setting can up the frequency it does so at.
December 17, 2007 2:48:32 AM

Daves255 said:
Well, I've lost 35 seconds since I synced it last night. Oh well...anyways, does anyone know how to up the frequency that Windows syncs its clock?
Hey Dave, apparently you completely ignored my post. I gave you a perfect program and the list of NIST servers. The program that I gave you can update as often as every one (1) second, however you are limited by NIST to a minimum of four (4) seconds. Is that fast enough for you? The program has virtually no overhead, and can be loaded at boot. You go ahead and keep screwing with the windows time synchronizer, have a good time.
December 17, 2007 3:00:41 AM

Zorg said:

pogsnet said:
Clearly, you are more than a little confused. :pt1cable: 

If you read it again more closely you will see that is exactly what I am saying.

And it's not some, it's all but the most ancient motherboards, hence the reference to putting it in the Smithsonian.

Get it?

P.S. The battery doesn't just hold up the time, it holds all of the changes that have been made to the factory default settings, hence removing the battery to reset the BIOS to factory defaults. Some mobos do have a super capacitor that will make the battery removal procedure not work, but I think that it works with most, if not all, of the newer mobos.
!