Daves255

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
I'm not sure where to put this...but my computer seems to be slowly drifting out of time. Every week or so, it loses about 4-5 minutes (this is the Windows clock, I'm not sure if that's based on the BIOS or not) early. Besides that, I've had no other relevant problems. Any way I can fix this annoying problem?

Load of BS - take the battery out of your computer and try starting it and come back to us with what happend.

Out of the thousands of motherboards i have worked on only one motherboard (PC-Partner, Pentium 2 days) didnt post because of a dead battery.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Good for you. But as we know it can happen. Info that op needs to know. Some boards rely on the battery to boot the cmos. New boards generally dont but hey. Does it look like he posted his stats? I've seen plenty of boards that wont post upon dead battery. So unless you have better info for OPs trouble, have a nice life.

1. Battery. check Vbat in the bios...should be over 3
2. Spyware ect.... there is allot of trash out there that changes the time.....
3. Are you not syncing to MS? your time should always be accurate.

I have never seen any modern board not boot without a battery, just checksum and reset defaults.....and most when plugged into a wall use the psu power.....

Tested 3 older boards with no battery :)

A64 3200+
Celeron 266(yeah, its old)
Celeron 800 @ 1.06

nobattwa2.jpg

Daves255

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Sorry, I should've been more clear. I have a new (2 monthsish old) Gigabyte P35 DS3R. I'll check Vbat right now. Also, how do I sync to MS?

EDIT: Found no mention of vbat in the manual or the BIOS.

Speedfan should show your vbat. double click on the clock to check if internet time is on.....Maybe MS time is too fast....you can try with it off :)
timenz9.gif

EDIT, just check the bios. No vbat. Asus spoiled me......either way on a new board its unlikely to be dead or even low....

you should be good down to at least 2.8 in most cases....maybe even lower....with that said, I have only ever changed a PC battery once....the computer was made in 1993 so it was due....and even it was not loosing time yet......

Daves255

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Well, I guess since the battery is fine I've got nothing to worry about. Looks like I'll just be setting time manually from here on out. Thanks for the help.

pogsnet

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007

I disagree. Maybe to some but most motherboard will boot without battery. Battery is for time only. BIOS setting is thru EEPROM which means no need power to maintain data like HDD.

Its a well known fact that bios "settings"(not the bios it self) are volatile thats why you can remove the battery to clear it(unplug the psu and hit power to discharge as some boards use the psu to keep it alive)

So the bios itself is stored in EEPROM(Electronically Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory) but the settings are in in volatile cmos memory.

Daves255

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
Well, I've lost 35 seconds since I synced it last night. Oh well...anyways, does anyone know how to up the frequency that Windows syncs its clock?

windows by default syc's once a day

It may well be a defect....if it bugs you. try to see if you can rma it....better yet to rule out windows, leave it overnight in the bios(on the screen where you see the time) and see if it looses anything in there....if it does its a defect....There is a little silvery capacitor looking thing(do not know the name for it, but its in watches too, it keeps time :) ) that keeps time....they can be defective....but are not user replaceable for the most part
hpim1550pi9.gif

this little sucker

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007

I believe its a Crystal oscillator
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crystal_oscillator

I have heard them called something else but cannot recall the name

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005

Wow. I'm speechless.