Built my system but It doesn't turn on is my PSU too small?

lorthus

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
My specs are

Gigabyte 965P- S3
Intel Pentium Dual Core
2GB A-Data Ram
400GB Western Digital
Nvidia Geforce 8500GT
Winfast TV2000 Expert
SATA DVD Burner
Raidmax Sagitta
450w PSU (came with case)

Everything seems to be in place.
When I try to turn the computer on it turns on and off a few times... (stays on for 5 secs shut off, again and again) and then it stays on.... but I get nothing... nothing on the monitor... no beeps... the computer runs but nothing happens....
Should I get a bigger and better PSU ? or could it be something else??? I would really appreciate on some advice... as u can see this is a budget system so the cheapest PSU that would solve my problem would be the best choice.

Uber_sven

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2006
1st check to see your CPU is seated correctly, all the lock pins are pushed in fully, and that the CPU is aligned correctly in the socket.

If that fails, check to see that the pins on the CPU socket aren't bent.

a 450w PSU is more than adequate for this system. Maybe experiment with disconnecting the DVD and HDD power cables and see if it fires.

Also, did you connect the ATX (4 pin) plug to the mobo? often easy to overlook.

and i take it these parts are brand new? i find that second hand parts(esp. mobos) have very high failure rates (even if they are my own recycled parts !)

Try one stick of ram, and disconnect all drives. If that doesn't work, remove the board, and place on a non-conductive surface, such as a phonebook, and use just the cpu/heatsink, one stick of memory, and video. Be sure to hook up the case speaker wire to get some beep codes.

lorthus

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
I tried turning the computer on with one stick of ram and video and I still got nothing, I have the 4pins connected, the first time I turned the computer on I forgot about it then I noticed it, I know this sounds weird but when I connected the 4pins and turned the computer on, the processor heatsink wouldnt work and the computer would beep and shut off. Now I can't get it to beep....

Basically I did everything said above except taking the board out and putting on top of a notebook I will try that now...

Is it possible that the RAM isn't compatible with my system???? The ram was on sale for like $44 - 20mail in rebate for 2GBS!!

Why is that I get no beeps????? speakers are connected

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Yeah, check stand-offs(I'm not sure he would POST if he didn't use stand-offs, but it's worth checking anyway) and make sure the 4-pin is connected. The beep means you're getting a POST (Power on Self Test) that will do a series of beeps if it detects a hardware problem. Tell use what the beep code is.

*edit* I doubt it's the RAM, but what kind of RAM is it? 2GB is the ammount of RAM, but what about it's speed? (Should be PC6400 DDR2 or something along those lines)

lorthus

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
What do you mean by stand offs??? I'm not getting any beeps...
The ram is 2 sticks of 1GB A-Data DDR2 800mhz
I'm starting to think its the motherboard....
thank you all for the help

rgeist554

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2007
Um, stand-offs are the small brass pegs between the motherboard and case. Are you telling me you just put the motherboard against the case and started screwing it in?

lorthus

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2005
Oh no I definetly used the stand offs, I'm a little inexperienced but I've built about 25 systems in the last 5 years or so... this is about the third time I'm having a problem...

Torbjorn

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2007
Just a small hint that you probably allready checked. The PSU might have 20+4 pin configuration. If your motherboard only accepts 20, you cannot put the spare 4pin into the 4 pin slot meant for cpu power. You need to use a dedicated one. Usually the motherboard power plug (the +4 pin one) wont fit though so its impossible to make that misstake.

/Torbjörn