Advice on how to best Unistall McAfee

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Hey all,

I have a Toshiba notebook that is running McAfee Antivirus Enterprise Edition in managed mode, and it will not let me uninstall it via Add/Remove Programs because it is in managed mode.

Here's the background:

Student takes mom's notebook to University for 2 weeks while his notebook is being repaired. As part of the network access agreement, they pushed the Mcafee antivirus out to his mom's notebook.

She now has the notebook back, running both McAfee and Norton 360 (taking 15 minutes to load a webpage). She is going to keep the Norton 360 (unless I can convince her not to... I'm trying).

I have tried Mcafee's uninstall utility, but it quits with the message that it does not work on the Enterprise Edition.

I am about to just delete the associated folders and run ccleaner to clean up the registry afterwards, but I thought I'd ask everyone here to see if there is a 'cleaner' way to remove McAfee.

Thanks for your input!

Solution
Go to the task manager and make sure none of it's services are running. I would even do it in safe mode, so there is no network connection, and it can't try to look for updates. Then try using revo uninstaller.

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

Thanks Grumpy9117,

I tried the downloadable utility from your link and i received the same result:

McAfee Enterprise software detected
Cannot continue. Please contact McAfee Technical Support.

While working on other tasks, I spent 4 hours on hold with McAfee earlier today. I think they are being swamped with their current update rebooting the computer issue as reported in Tom's News.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion and I'm all ears if you or anyone else has another idea.

Cheers!

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Thanks aford10. I will try that as soon as I get back to the office and let you know the outcome. Go figure that someone would wind up with two of the most resource hogging (imho) antivirus packages running on the computer at the same time.

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Ok... so from Safe Mode, when I use Revo uninstaller, it lets me select the McAfee to uninstall and asks me to confirm uninstall, then it throws an error of unable to run the Windows installer. So I tried Revo on another unnecessary driver updating utility and it uninstalled it fine.

I am going to try the Revo in normal mode to see if safe mode was hampering the Windows installer...