Sign in with
Your question

Data trasnfur problem - Freezes (XP)

Last response: in Storage
August 21, 2008 5:39:12 PM

Hey guys,

using XP with all updates and service packs. Had this problem using both XP and Vista.

Just bought a new samsung spinpoint F1 500gb Hdd today to store media on.

Got roughly 250Gb of content on my external HD.

However i cant even transfer a film from my external HDD to an internal HDD.

It gets half way or so, then just stops, with the remaining time staying the same, with no progress being made.

Has anyone any idea's?

Many thanks
August 21, 2008 8:09:02 PM

so u added spinpoint as second (non-boot) drive to machine??? have you partitioned or formated it? They dont come partitioned or preformated... but it should have a drive letter until you partition it...

What type of format is on second drive verses boot drive there are some combinations that dont work well together... I would try reformating spinpoint to same type of format as boot drive for consistancy... External drive format shouldnt matter
August 22, 2008 12:16:19 PM

Yes, the spinpoint was added as second non boot drive to my computer. it has been formatted fully and successfully.

Both are local disks using NTFS, but i'm not quite sure what you mean by this, what different types of format are there?

Thanks for your help
August 25, 2008 5:29:23 PM

NTFS, FAT16, FAT32, exFat and someother less common ones... the within formats you can have different cluster sizes as well... I would double check your formating. If boot drive is NTFS then if second drive is NTFS or FAT16 shoudl be a problem, but if its exFAT or FAT32 depending on the cluster size that might be your problem.
!