Can my computer use 3.0GB sata drive?

wheelthrown

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
no way it has a 1.5gb hd... right click on drive in my computer n select properties... to the far right of capacity will be size... should be 160Gb or larger...
I haven't seen a 3G hard drive over 10 years and if you had one it would be IDE and your system needs a SATA harddrive neway... they have SATA drives at wal-mart for like $100 u can buy one online cheeper depend on what u want... my cell phone has a microSD chip thats about 1/4 inch square thats 4Gb... lulz...

I think your process is 2Ghz and thats where your getting confused... hope this helps .. l8r -J

rozar

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2007
In the very early days of the SATA II spec a few older controllers had problems with some 3GBps (one of the SATA 2 specs). There were also SSC problems but thats another post. Seagate added the little gray jumpers to their drives to jumper them down to 1.5GBps to resolve this issue. If you are worried just buy a Seagate drive and leave the jumper there. Even the latest SATA drives (non SSD and not SAS) do not go above 1.5GB a second anyway so it will not have an impact on performance. The only benefit is reading from cache which is almost a non factor.

wheelthrown

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2008
yeah after I re read and actually used my brain I realize your talking about access speed... newer 3gb drives all can be "switched" to 1.5gb... some have a jumper but most have a swicth that can be acessed via the software disk that comes with them... when in doubt RTFM... sorry for my earlier idiotic post -J