Sign in with
Your question

$1000 new build with longterm use in mind

Last response: in Systems
November 23, 2007 12:58:01 AM

I have budget of about a thousand dollars to build a new system. The unique thing here is that I need this computer to last me ~5 years while I finish up grad school. A lot can change in 5 years so I was hoping you could all get out your crystal balls and help me get the most for my money.

I guess I should explain while I am willing to buy unnecessary hardware now, but then want it to last five years. Its simple really, other peoples money. I am a grad student trying to support a family on my stipend, but I have a fellowship with a little money that I can use to buy a computer. But once that money is spent i won't have the money to buy a new computer (or even do serious upgrades) until I graduate and get a real job.

Here are my thoughts so far:

Core 2 Quad Q6600 (right now going with a quad gets me almost no advantage over a dual core unit, but I'm hoping that multi-threaded programing is the way of the future and that in a year or two having the extra cores will pay off)

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L (seems like a good solid board)
2x 2x 1GB PDP Patriot Extreme Performance PC2-6400 Low Latency (4 GB total in four chips)
Sony NEC Optiarc 18X DVD±R DVD Burner
2 x Western Digital Caviar RE2 WD5000YS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

I'm a little torn on the graphics card, part of me says go with the 8800GT, but I don't play games that much (nor does my wife like me playing violent video games) and it seems overkill for everything else. Of course overkill now may pay off in a few years.

I would like recommendations on case, power supply and fan. Again I'm not planning on overclocking, but getting a rig capable of the stress of overclocking seems like it would help make sure it will last. I would like something kinda quiet, but longevity and performance comes first.

I'm also interested in what you think about going with Vista64, again right now it gains me almost nothing, but I'm hoping the industry will finally wise up and start writing more for 64-bit. Let me know if your crystal ball shows something different.
November 23, 2007 4:12:27 AM

Looks awesome mate, dont change aything, its a solid build
however u didnt mentioned Case and PSU
November 23, 2007 11:38:55 AM

If I had to do it again, I'd do it different this time. Take it from a dropout. Get a lowly crap non-gaming pc/laptop for college. When you graduate & get a high-paying job, you can have the most expensive computer in the world. Don't look at my sig. *violin notes*
Related resources
November 23, 2007 12:49:51 PM

Change the Sony to a Samsung SH-S203B. The rest is great.
Antec 900 is a good case, it will keep that 8800 GT cool.
You don't really need a CPU cooler+fan since you're not overclocking.
PSU: Corsair 550VX or PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610W.

Vista 64: I'd go for it. 5 years from now XP will be history - no more security patches for example. The only problem with Vista 64 is if you have some older devices or applications that only work with XP.
November 23, 2007 12:55:28 PM

akhilles said:
If I had to do it again, I'd do it different this time. Take it from a dropout. Get a lowly crap non-gaming pc/laptop for college. When you graduate & get a high-paying job, you can have the most expensive computer in the world. Don't look at my sig. *violin notes*

If I understand him right, he'd have to give back any money he saves this way. Nah, let the guy enjoy his gift from the government. Once he gets a job he'll pay it back in taxes 1000 times anyway :lol: 
!