CPU Temp Reported Too Low

hachkc

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
I have a GA-P35C-DS3R board with an Intel E6600 and my bios and related utilities are reporting my CPU temp around 15c idle when the overall box temp alone is over 30c.

Here is some background info related to the issue. I just moved this CPU from a GA-965P-S3 board that had died. I had no issues with the CPU temps on that machine. I was using the stock intel fan in the old board but changed to a coolermaster fan that is similar in nature to the stock fan. I also used Antec's thermal grease with the new fan. I just rebuilt the system last night and played Crysis on it for bit and the CPU temp jumped to a whooping 19c.

Any ideas what the problem here is? I'm safely assuming the temperate reading is just plain wrong.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
hachkc, since C2D's have 2 separate sets of temperatures, CPU (Tcase) and Core (Tjunction), which always have a 15c difference between them for the E6600, it's important to be specific as to which temperatures you're referring. As you stated CPU temperature, then I must assume that is what you meant. CPU temperature is BIOS dependent, and Core temperatures are factory calibrated in the Digital Thermal Sensors (DTS).

Scotteq, thanks for a good try, but your quote from my Guide doesn't apply. The E6600 is B2 Stepping, which is Tjunction Max 85c, and not 100c. From the Guide:

Section 6: Scale

Scale 5: Duo

E6x00: Tcase Max 60c, B2 Stepping, Tjunction Max 85c, Vcore Default 1.3525, TDP 65w, Delta 15c

-Tcase/Tjunction-
--60--/--75--75-- Hot
--55--/--70--70-- Warm
--50--/--65--65-- Safe
--25--/--40--40-- Cool

evongugg, good recommendation, which I will second. hachkc, try a BIOS update, and be sure that ACPI, APIC and PECI (if equipped) support are enabled in BIOS. Regardless of whether an update corrects your temperature problem, if you follow the Core 2 Quad and Duo Temperature Guide - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/ [...] ture-guide - you can accurately Calibrate your temps, so that you'll know they're correct and reliable.

Comp :sol:

hachkc

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007

Per the bios (PC Health Status) and Gigabyte's Easy Tune utility, they report the CPU temp (not system) between 15-20c depending on usage. Now if there are multiple temps/ways of measuring them, I don't have access to them with what I currently have installed.

I'm at the F2 level and looked at the other levels but didn't see anything related to temps not that gigabyte's online support is the best for researching for problems on.

What do you mean by ACPI, APIC and PECI? I should qualify my questions as I fairly new to this stuff. The board I replaced was the 1st and only system I've built (6mos ago).

Thanks for the advice so far.

hachkc

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
Here is my speedfan output:
speedfwl4.gif

I'm guessing core is the value of interest to me as that changes the most here. It hits the mid-50s pretty quick which doesn't seem too good. I may not have set the cpu fan/heat sink very well.

Thanks for the help.

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Mid 50's was average for my B2 stepping e6600, with a good fan@ 3.01. Changed to Water, got it to mid 40's.

Got an e6750, @ 3.4, hardly ever tops 33c.

I think my e6600, bought launch day, was just not right from the start. Most other folks reported temps 5-10 below mine on the same cpu. Also never would post above about 3.1.

randomizer

Champion

That sounds alot like my dads E6600. He can't get it to run cool no matter what cooler he uses. Reseated a hundred times. And it's not really stable above 3GHz. Still, up to 65C is safe and it only hits that with Orthos or something.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
hachkc, if you complete the following information, it will help to clarify your situation:

Results

CPU (Tcase) = Idle 17c / Load ??c
Hottest Core (Tjunction) = Idle 27c / Load ??c

Variables

Ambient = Room Temp ??c
Chipset = P35
C2Q / C2D = E6600
CPU Cooler = Coolermaster ???
Frequency = CPU Clock ???
Load = Prime95 - Small FFT's - 10 Minutes
Motherboard = Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R
Stepping = B2
Vcore = CPU Voltage ???

Please use Prim95 Small FFT's - http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=8981 - to test your system for 10 minutes to find your Load temperatures.

@OP: The Gigabyte BIOS temps are usually not correct! On my DS3L I get 100C on CPU :lol:, but SpeedFan says it is only 35-40C. I measured it with a IR Thermometer and it says the CPU is at 32-43C, close to the SpeedFan readings.

rambo_or_mark

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
MY CPU is an AMD athlon 6000+ dual core, it runs idle at 22C to 27C. The max I have ever got it too is 47C. That was playing crysis, 3 virus scans, 1 spybot scan, defragmenting, itunes, msn, teamspeak, utorrent, daemon tools, playing a movie, speedfan, asus probe, cpuz, fraps, nvidia ntune monitoting temps. Is that a good safe temperature?

:)

jbj190

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
I'm having temperature reading problems with my Pentium D OC'd to 3.6ghz stock volts (1.25v BIOS, 1.2 CPU-Z) on a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L using a dinky Rosewill tower HSF. In ambient temp of 20C, I get 27C idle and 38C load I've been expecting temperatures in the range of 40-60 but on all of my monitoring programs including BIOS, I get consistent readings which makes me believe that the temperature diode on the mainboard is incorrect. Does anyone have a solution?

hachkc

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007

Thanks, I'll see if I can get the info later this evening.

hachkc

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007

Let me know if there is anything that is missing or looks strange.

Thanks again.

CompuTronix

Intel Master
hachkc, apparently you have a simple offset problem of just a few degrees. If you follow through Section 9 in the Guide and perform the calibration procedures, you'll be able to correct your temperatures.