Can I assign the letters A and B to HDDs partitions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
I dont have a floopy, Im dual-booting XP and Vista.

Can I name hdds, ssds, and otpical drives A and B? My hardware is the following:

1 SSD partitioned in 3
3x 7200RPM gathered in a RAID 0 array
1 DVD-RW
1 blu-ray

My goal would be:

A: XP (1st SSD partition)
B: Vista (2nd partition, main OS)
C: RAID 0 (media files)
D: SSD 3rd partition
E: DVD-RW
F: Blu-ray drive (its actually a Blu-ray recorder and HD-DVD player, dont know if it matters)

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
1. Open Computer Management by clicking the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Computer Management. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2. In the Navigation pane, click Disk Management.

3. Right-click the partition or drive that you want to change, and then click Change Drive Letter and Paths.

4. Do one of the following:

To assign a drive letter if one has not already been assigned, click Add, click the letter that you want to use, and then click OK.

To change a drive letter, click Change, click Assign the following drive letter, click the letter that you want to use, and then click OK.

To remove a drive letter, click Remove, and then click Yes to confirm that you want to remove it.

This is the link to the Microsoft Thread!
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/can-not-change-drive-letter-windows-7/37a22203-6add-46e4-8f1d-997b130db362

If you don't like the letter Windows has assigned to a new drive or you want to organize your drive letters in a certain way, you can change the drive letter.You can assign the letters C through Z to each drive on your computer. A and B are usually reserved for floppy disk drives, but if your computer does not have floppy disk drives, you can assign A and B to volumes. You can see which drive letters are used on your computer by opening Computer.

I have never seen Windows installed on a drive letter bellow C:, I don't even know if it can be. When you run the setup, it's way before you can get to disk management. All you can select is the disk and partition to install on. The setup will always pick C as the drive letter.

Status
Not open for further replies.