Sign in with
Your question

Western Digital GP (Green Power) drives known ATA errors

Last response: in Storage
August 22, 2008 11:48:40 AM

Hi..

I want to get a ReadyNAS NV+ system with 4 1 TB disks to get an easy to use and good disk solution so I can scrap my linux file server.

I'd love to use the Western Digital GP drives, as these have incredibly low energy consumption compared to whatever else I've seen. They're read/write consumption is lower than all other drives idle consumption that I have seen (if my memory serves me correct)

But.. As they say on http://www.readynas.com/?page_id=82

* The WD GP (Green Power) drives that are listed below are not compatible at this time. These drives are known to have ATA errors when disk spin down is enabled.

Western Digital WD10EACS WD Caviar GP 1TB
Western Digital WD7500AACS Caviar GP 750GB
Western Digital WD5000AACS Caviar GP 500GB
Western Digital WD1000FYPS WD RE2 1TB

I don't hear anyone else saying anything about these errors. I have seen nothing on WD site, and nothing in reviews or my usual places.
As I want my disk system for personal use, I want to have power saving enabled, such that I don't have to turn the thing off at night. But the errors mentioned sounds pretty bad.

Anyone know anything about this? Is WD working on fixing this. Or have they fixed it? Should you never enable power saving when you use these disks? I'd assume lots were on the market, so I'm surprised this issue can be bad as I don't see much about it..

Any insights would be appreciated.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
December 30, 2008 11:55:49 AM

Hi,
Do you have any news about that? I just bought the ReadyNas Duo with two 1TB WD GP disks. I just saw that information after order.
They just arrived yeasterday.
Do you think i should change the disks?
Thanks,
December 30, 2008 6:33:57 PM

I didn't dare to try it out.. ATA errors sounds like I could have random corruption in my array. I bought the samsung disks listed to be working.

Maybe it could work without powersaving, but I want powersaving as I want to leave the box on at all times in case I want to access it remotely.
Related resources
February 26, 2009 9:36:20 PM

Quote:
Hi,
Do you have any news about that? I just bought the ReadyNas Duo with two 1TB WD GP disks. I just saw that information after order.
They just arrived yeasterday.
Do you think i should change the disks?
Thanks,

Did it work out all right?

I managed to order the exact same combo (ReadyNas Duo and two WD 1TB GP disks). And just like you I didn't see the information about compatibility until after I received the order.
March 4, 2009 12:56:52 PM

Hi,

I am using a READYNAS DUO with Western Digital WD5000AACS (that's the 500GB green power drive)
and so far so good.

Both disk power off and automatic shutdown at night enabled.

Fingers crossed and backup running...
!