Sign in with
Your question

Seeking some cooling advice

Last response: in Overclocking
April 5, 2008 4:52:29 PM

Hello all,

I just finished upgrading my PC, I installed a new AM2 6400 Athlon processor, along with dual SLI EVGA 9600 GTS's, and 4 Gigs of RAM. For the most part I'm pretty happy with my setup and I'm not experiencing hardly any problems, except for 1 the temperature inside of my PC is around 75 degrees. With my side panels removed and a portable fan blowing temperature is down to the 60's, still too hot for my taste. Internally, I have 4 fans blowing not including the standard HSF on my processor, PS fan, and 1 fan on each of my video cards.

I haven't had any temperature problems in the past when building PC's, then again I'm going it's my 1st time having dual SLI and a processor as good as this one. So shamefully I don't know how to fix my problem, after reading many post here I'm see a lot of people are recommending a liquid cooling system with dangerden being the best company. Again, this is a gray area for me, and I what to be 100% sure I'm buying the right equipment. So if someone can point me into the right direction for buying a external cooling system to install around for $200 I would be grateful.

More about : seeking cooling advice

April 5, 2008 4:59:37 PM

are you using the stock heatsink for your 6400?even though i dont have a amd system.i recommand getting the Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro to try things out.since its pretty cheap anyway and offer very good performance for that price(you can throw it out the windows if you dont like it).

what case you using?how many case fan you have in your case?the 9600GT could producing lots of heat as it doesnt blow blow like the 8800GTS or any dual slot fan do.
April 5, 2008 5:32:29 PM

Yeah, I'm just using the stock HSF for the 6400 for now. I'll take a look at Arctic Cooling in a few minutes and see what I can find.

Currently, I have 4 case fans and I checked the temperature in my case earlier, overall most of the heat is centered around my processor and ram.
Related resources
April 5, 2008 5:41:35 PM

make sure you have a configuration of the fan enter from the bottom at the front and go out at the back near the top.dont have fans set up with everyone of them blowing inward.otherwise heat will just build up in the case.ok?
April 5, 2008 5:58:01 PM

Looks like I go with either the Freezer 64LP or Freezer 64PRO not totally sure which. The 64P has dual fan cooling with fan speed up to 3000 RPM, 3 Heat pipes, and 25.4 CFM flow. While the 64PRO without dual fan cooling tops at 2200 RPM, 6 Heat pipes, and 40 CFM flow.

I have the 2 fans in the back blowing inward, the one on the side is blowing outward, and the front one is outward too.
April 5, 2008 6:05:20 PM

This one!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

its actually 3 heatpipes btw!pretty good value.

and you should reserve all of you fans config.back =outward.side+front inward!thats a must!change it and see how the temp change!!!OK?thats what you must do before buying another cooling device!!!!do it now before any feedback!
April 5, 2008 6:37:38 PM

iluvgillgill said:
This one!

its actually 3 heatpipes btw!pretty good value.

and you should reserve all of you fans config.back =outward.side+front inward!thats a must!change it and see how the temp change!!!OK?thats what you must do before buying another cooling device!!!!do it now before any feedback!

Unfortunately, the Freezer 7 series isn't for AMD, it's Intel only the 64LP and 64PRO are the only one for AMD made by Arctic Cooling.

The 2 fans in the back are directly next to my processor, the one fan in the front is on the bottom in the path of my HDD's and my video cards.
April 5, 2008 6:52:18 PM

sorry this is what i meant.

i know where fans are located.you need to use the rear 2 fan to suck all the hottest air in the case out!which is produce by the cpu.so the temp inside the case is cold which supply to the CPu cooler.also hot air rises so the hot air is not going to come out the bottom of the case at the front.

or you just dont believe me and cant be bother to change the fan configuration.

I stress it 1 last time!
MAKE THE FANS AT THE BACK BLOW OUTWARD AND GET FRESH AIR IN FROM THE FRONT!!!
get some ideas from here!
http://www.marnscda.com/airflow.htm

change the fan before you post again.i dont think anyone will reply to you when you dont even get the basics right.its abit time wasting.
April 5, 2008 8:20:24 PM

That's a good link iluvgillgill. I was lucky someone pointed me there when I was working on my case flow.

I found that the negative pressure thing (more CFM out than in) works best for me and my case. If you have a lot of vents (holes without fans) the negative pressure is the way to go.
April 5, 2008 8:24:47 PM

i wonder if the poster have change its fan config.did you see his fan config?
April 5, 2008 8:39:42 PM

Yeah, that sucks. I hope he changes it. I had a friend who did the same thing because the air at the back of his case was cooler and he wanted to use the exhaust out the front to help warm his room.

I though, that's a great idea.....until I did it. CPU temps went up 12C! Then someone pointed out that link. Who ever that person was...Thanks!
April 5, 2008 8:48:24 PM

unless he put his case upward.so the back is facing downward and front is pointing at the ceiling.then it will work.other wise no!
April 5, 2008 11:51:52 PM

After spending time reversing the fans and trying other ideas nothing work. In fact my temperature went up to 78 degrees when I changed according to what iluvgillgill said. I placed my fans back the way I had it and it went back down.

I called up a friend that has the same case as myself come to find out that his fans are configured the same way, but his temperature is around 34C with a stock HSF. Other then the fact that I'm running a 6400 with dual 9600GTS's, while he is running a 3400 with dual 7900 GTS's our systems are pretty much the same. Hate to say it but the basics of air flow failed for me.

Are there any more suggestions I can try?
April 6, 2008 12:34:50 AM

try reseat the heatsink again.you corrected the air flow now?
April 6, 2008 12:36:50 AM

and 6400 to 3400 is big difference!!!higher frequency means more heat.so maybe thats why.but give it a try anyway.

7900gts?never heard of that!you mean 7900GT?or 8800GTS?

have you bought the AC7 heatsink yet?
April 6, 2008 1:01:45 AM

I'll reseat the heatsink and try that with the corrected airflow, and it was 7900 GT OC actually. I'm holding off buying the AC 64PRO, since it's Saturday and I received PM's on other HSF's to buy.
April 6, 2008 1:19:09 AM

just try to reseat and see how the temp change.if not just try the 64PRO to try things out.not worth geting a ultra expensive heatsink?
April 6, 2008 1:49:33 AM

I reseated the HSF and changed my fans back/forth in varies ways, the temperature still went up by 2 - 4 degrees. So far changing the airflow from what I had it originally at only increases temperature inside of my case. So put everything back the way I had it.

The other HSF's that were recommended were anywhere from 20 - 55 dollars, still cheap in my book. Someone had also PM me a link for the KINGWIN AS-3000, going to read up on that as well.
April 6, 2008 2:06:38 AM

dont know why your case is acting funny.but the air flow i suggest you is the right way.if you ask any one they will say the same to you.but its your call
April 6, 2008 2:25:31 PM

1. What case are you using?

When I bought my new case a few months ago I replaced every fan in it so I knew what CFM I had going in and out. Check the link that iluvgillgill posted, it's basic physics.

April 6, 2008 5:06:54 PM

The case is made by APEVIA. Yes, I tried the link earlier and the temperature in my case went up a couple degrees.

Had another person loan me a different case last night, this one was a Antec with 3 fans, The temperature for my processor dropped down to about 67 - 69 degrees, still hot. So it is highly doubt that it is the case or the fan setup I'm using.
April 6, 2008 9:36:40 PM

What kind of thermal compound did you use for the cpu heatsink?
April 7, 2008 4:59:01 AM

MASSCOOL Stars-700 Silver
April 9, 2008 2:28:26 AM

Thank you, I installed the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64PRO and it fixed my problem.

CPU temperature dropped from 75 degrees to 53.
RAM temperature dropped from 48 degrees to 32.

The problem wasnt the case or the way my airflow, it just the stock HSF AMD gave me with my 6400. the new Freezer 64 made the difference. Thanks for the help guys.
April 9, 2008 2:47:23 AM

blackgodzilla said:
Thank you, I installed the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64PRO and it fixed my problem.

CPU temperature dropped from 75 degrees to 53.
RAM temperature dropped from 48 degrees to 32.

The problem wasnt the case or the way my airflow, it just the stock HSF AMD gave me with my 6400. the new Freezer 64 made the difference. Thanks for the help guys.

Assuming you have the cooler seated so the airflow goes towards the back of the case, you might want to have that back fan pushing air out of the case instead of blowing in. This way you can create a push-pull effect, so it may drop you temps down by a couple degrees.
April 9, 2008 3:01:11 PM

Evilonigiri said:
Assuming you have the cooler seated so the airflow goes towards the back of the case, you might want to have that back fan pushing air out of the case instead of blowing in. This way you can create a push-pull effect, so it may drop you temps down by a couple degrees.

Do it!
April 10, 2008 7:38:46 AM

Tried it out with the fans in the back reverse temperature in my case went up a couple degrees, but still way cooler then before.

I read over the material that came with the Freezer 64 PRO, according to it AC produces cases with the similar airflow setup that I use. Quoted from Arctic Cooling, "If your are using our Silentium PC case, the Freezer 64 Pro should blow the hot air to the front since cool air is drawn from the back." My case is based on this similar setup in that cool air is drawn from the back, and by putting my Freezer 64 PRO fan so it blows to the front I'm getting the push-pull effect as stated by Evilonigir.
April 10, 2008 2:15:11 PM

Glad it worked out.
!