Sign in with
Your question

Questions about TV LCDs

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 30, 2007 11:09:41 PM

What are the limitations for say a 40-46" lcd as a computer monitor? What should i be looking for?

I know a few things such as i would want a card for dual display.

Would dvi into the tv lcd work the best? can that provide a hd signal? Is there a conflict that can occur with the resolution on the tv lcd?

My main goal at this point is to be able to hook up, a xbox 360, tv signal, and computer into one 40-46" lcd. Is this even a realistic possibility? just curious as well but can you get 15-20' dvi cables?

Sorry if this seems scattered but there is a lot i am unsure of in regards to these new hd lcd screens.

Thanks for any help and i would be glad to clear up anything in the above.

ps

has anyone got a setup like this running? if so how is it functioning and how do you like it?

johnny

More about : questions lcds

December 1, 2007 12:14:21 AM

Most TVs don't have DVI, except for the older Westinghouses and some others, but you most likely would need a DVI to HDMI connection if your TV doesn't have a DVI slot. Most TVs support VGA now though so this might be an alternative, though I don't know what resolutions you'll get exactly.

You can grab some cables from newegg at 25' (DVI to HDMI) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... for about $35. I've heard good things also about Blue Jeans Cables (bluejeanscable.com), except for their website.

The only other thing is that if you're running stuff (video) off of your computer the audio from your computer doesn't go anywhere unless you have PC speakers or a cable into your receiver/amp.

December 1, 2007 12:33:48 AM

I have a new samsung T4061 1080p TV as well as new sammy 931c monitors. You will want to get an DVI to HDMI cable for best resolution, also be wary of PC inputs, some with those only support some resolutions while hdmi covers the highs. When I was shopping back in Q1 the sony xbr, the sammy i bought and the sharp aquios panels were and as far as I know still the three best out. The sharp dose not specifically support but the sammy and sony do, I got the sammy as it looked as good and was a grand cheaper. I have had some issues usin dual mon with the 2 screen being so much diff in size, I never had to resolve as I moved my old gaming rig to the tv and run dual matching mons on my main rig.

good luck
Related resources
December 1, 2007 2:01:52 AM

Well honestly you questions are a bit hard to follow so I'm sorry in advance if I don't answer correctly.

I think the most important thing you need to know is yes, everything (as I understand it) that you want to do can be done. Large HD displays look great hooked up to the sources you mention.

I've got 2 computers and a dish signal going to a 50" plasma so my situation is not exactly the same but is hopefully similar enough that I might be able to give you some insight. Both computers are also each connected to standard LCD monitors (one is 20" the other 22").

All you need to do is look at the OUTPUT of each device you want to hook up to your new LCD and purchase an LCD with enough INPUTS to accommodate all your device's OUTPUTS. This should be no problem.

DVI and HDMI are both basically the same thing signal wise (except DVI lacks audio and uses a different connector) and are the best quality connections. VGA and component are similar and are very good quality. A big step down from these is S-video and another step down is composite.

So you want an LCD with at least 2 DVI or HDMI inputs. My Plasma has true DVI inputs so I just run a straight DVI to DVI cable to the computer. I guess a DVI input is rare these days but that is no problem so long as your LCD has hdmi inputs. Then all you need is (depending you your video card) an hdmi to DVI cable.

If your computer (or any source really) only has VGA don't worry VGA still looks great.

Really instead of me running on about each type of connection why don't you tell us what outputs each of your sources has and what type of connections the LCD panels you are looking have.
December 1, 2007 6:44:26 AM

Wow i am pumped that this can be done, thanks for all the help guys.

I will be using a dvi from my video card that provides dual dvi jacks, and i think the xboc has a second set of 3 wires for hd (not sure never tried them) and i am planning to use the reguar old coaxle cable jack on the tv for the old cable subscription.

I guess all i will have to do is get the tv i like and make sure i check the specs for, 1 hdmi input, whatever the xbox jacks are called, and an old school coaxle jack.

One thing I am not 100% on, is the HD tv service a HDMI connection or something else? I will need 2 hdmi jacks in this case for future service upgrade correct?

thanks guys for the help, hopefully i cleared up my plan a little bit.

Also, just curious how it works for gaming, are the response times good for vids? Are there PC games in HD?
December 1, 2007 7:52:06 AM

For HD TV content you can go two ways: Component (Green, Red, Blue) or HDMI. The only real difference is an analog and digital signal though picture quality remains the same as they both can output HD signals.

So if you run out of HDMI ports just use component (YPbPr).
December 1, 2007 9:12:54 AM

I sounds like the X-box has Component output as the "second set of 3 wires". Like Pigs said Component video is Red, Green, Blue (all 3 video BTW). If the 3 wires are Yellow, White and Red than they are "old school coaxle" Composite video (as opposed to Component), and audio left and right.

It only takes a cable to convert between DVI and HDMI. Likewise it only takes a cable to convert between VGA and Component. All 4 of these are high quality with DVI and HDMI being the best.

That old school connector is going to have a much, much lower quality signal and once you get spoiled by all the better quality stuff you will hate whatever device only outputs composite video.

Anyhow 2 hdmi would be best but 1 dvi/hdmi and 1 vga would be OK too, so long as you also had your composite and component iputs as well. Inputs have come a long way since I purchased my sets. You should have no difficulty finding a HD monitor that has plenty of HD quality inputs.

What do you plan to do for audio?

December 1, 2007 11:11:06 AM

Correct me if I am wrong becasue I have never tried this, but doesn't he want to be sure to get a 1080p as opposed to a 720p. It would seem the 720 would be a pretty low resolution for typical PC stuff.
December 1, 2007 4:09:40 PM

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong becasue I have never tried this, but doesn't he want to be sure to get a 1080p as opposed to a 720p. It would seem the 720 would be a pretty low resolution for typical PC stuff.

Yes I would be deffinately interested in 1080p for all components, as i plan to use the pc to watch dvds and games, so most likely connect xbox with the components, pc and tv with DVMI.

For Audio I plan to use the built in tv speakers for tv, surround sound for all pc applications. The only problem with that is that the xbox wont be in surround sound, but i can deal with that as i really only play nhl2008 on it.

Thanks for all the help guys, you have erased all worry in me for attempting this plan. Now it seems quite simple to hook up, the biggest problem atm is getting the right dvi/dvmi cables. Should be cake.

Thanks again for all the help.

Johnny
December 2, 2007 12:51:10 AM

Finding a 1080p LCD that size is not going to be a problem. My 50" plasma is "only" 720p and honestly it looks great for games or movies, but yeah 1080p would be even better.

One thing to watch out for are 720p sets that are boasting 1080 "ready" or 1080 "compatible". Such sets do not actually have full 1080 resolution but they can take a 1080 signal. They reduce the quality and display the picture at 720 not 1080. In fact this is what my plasma does. When I purchased my set, plasmas with true 1080 res did not exist. Now you can find LCD and plasma sets with true 1080 displays, no problem.
December 2, 2007 2:04:58 AM

johnnyinternet said:
What are the limitations for say a 40-46" lcd as a computer monitor? What should i be looking for?

I know a few things such as i would want a card for dual display.

Would dvi into the tv lcd work the best? can that provide a hd signal? Is there a conflict that can occur with the resolution on the tv lcd?

My main goal at this point is to be able to hook up, a xbox 360, tv signal, and computer into one 40-46" lcd. Is this even a realistic possibility? just curious as well but can you get 15-20' dvi cables?

Sorry if this seems scattered but there is a lot i am unsure of in regards to these new hd lcd screens.

Thanks for any help and i would be glad to clear up anything in the above.

ps

has anyone got a setup like this running? if so how is it functioning and how do you like it?

johnny

Nearly every 1080p LCD out there has at least 2 HDMI, 2-3 Component (red/green/blue), standard cable jack and some S-video and Composite (yellow/red/white) hookups. Some also have a VGA PC input, though the resolution they accept on 1080p models is sometime limited to 1366x768 (which is why most people use a DVI-HDMI converter).

If you have a home theater receiver you can hook up every sources audio to it and have surround sound for every source by changing the input selection.

If you want the best prices for cables, go to http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_i...
December 2, 2007 4:51:41 PM

Thanks kids I appreciate the heads up about the "1080p ready" catch. You guys have instilled so much confidence that I cant believe I hadnt tried this before.

Ill let you all know how it works out and maybe somw pics of the set up so others can see what the benefits are and how it looks.

thanks again

johnny
!