Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Are there some useful optimization softwares?

Last response: in Windows XP
April 22, 2010 9:30:19 AM

Are there useful optimization software?
I have used several optimization software,like SpeedUpMyPC,tweak7,tune up......But I found they didn't work as well as some people say.Are there any other useful optimization software?Would you please recommend some good optimization software to me?

More about : optimization softwares

April 22, 2010 9:42:11 AM

I have been using the PowerSuite 2010 for a long time to optimize my computer,I think it is pretty good ,maybe you can have a try.
Score
April 22, 2010 10:28:48 AM

galecary said:
Are there useful optimization software?
I have used several optimization software,like SpeedUpMyPC,tweak7,tune up......But I found they didn't work as well as some people say.Are there any other useful optimization software?Would you please recommend some good optimization software to me?

Frankly, I've always found the best recipe for optimisation is not to clutter up the machine with utilities that claim to make it faster. Think about it - just putting it in there slows things down. Keep the day-to-day clutter down with something like CCleaner or ATF Cleaner, keep it up-to-date by having Windows Updates turned on and regularly scan for malware and you'll be surprised at just how optimised it will be.

Score
Related resources
April 22, 2010 12:01:52 PM

ccleaner is a good program to help clean up clutter, and to help clean the registry.
Score
April 22, 2010 6:31:50 PM

And WinPatrol.
Score
April 22, 2010 6:58:06 PM

Yep, Winpatrol is another nice one. One of the features I like about that, is the notification when something tries to alter your system.
Score
April 26, 2010 1:45:51 AM

jemma said:
I have been using the PowerSuite 2010 for a long time to optimize my computer,I think it is pretty good ,maybe you can have a try.

Thanks for your advice,maybe I will have a try.
Score
April 26, 2010 1:48:35 AM

Saga Lout said:

Frankly, I've always found the best recipe for optimisation is not to clutter up the machine with utilities that claim to make it faster. Think about it - just putting it in there slows things down. Keep the day-to-day clutter down with something like CCleaner or ATF Cleaner, keep it up-to-date by having Windows Updates turned on and regularly scan for malware and you'll be surprised at just how optimised it will be.

Thank you, but I think it will be troublesome for me to scan everyday....................
Score
April 26, 2010 2:14:27 AM

It really doesn't take a lot of programs. I use Avast, ccleaner, revo uninstaller, and Malwarebytes. They are all free, and all help to keep the PC clean.
Score
April 26, 2010 7:14:36 AM

galecary said:
Thank you, but I think it will be troublesome for me to scan everyday....................

[#000ff]Once a fortnight will be quite adequate. It's the build-up of clutter that slows things down.[/#000ff]
Score
April 28, 2010 1:45:19 AM

Saga Lout said:
[#000ff]Once a fortnight will be quite adequate. It's the build-up of clutter that slows things down.[/#000ff]

Really? But such kind softwares will take a long time to scan your computer everytime and my computer will run pretty slowly when it is scaning. That's what I can't tolerate! At the same time, the configuration of my computer is too low. So when I use it, I may become crazy because it's too slow. Maybe I need a software which will not use too much memory of my computer. Thanks!
Score
April 28, 2010 1:47:03 AM

aford10 said:
It really doesn't take a lot of programs. I use Avast, ccleaner, revo uninstaller, and Malwarebytes. They are all free, and all help to keep the PC clean.

You say they are all right. Would you please intrduce those softwares you mentioned to me in detail?
Score
April 28, 2010 2:00:33 AM

Sure...

Avast is an active antivirus scanner, including internet security. It's light on resources, and has live updates.
http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

Ccleaner is a multipurpose tool. It has a very good registry cleaner, cleans windows files, cleans browser files, and can uninstall programs.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Revo uninstaller is simply that. It's for uninstalling software, including software that other uninstallers can't remove. It also cleans up all file traces and registry entries.
http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_do...

Malwarebytes is a top notch malware scanner. It doesn't provide real time protection, as Avast does. However, if you have an infection, scan with Malwarebytes in safe mode with networking, and it will remove almost anything.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

All serve their individual purpose, and all are free. :) 
Score
April 28, 2010 2:16:00 AM

aford10 said:
Sure...

Avast is an active antivirus scanner, including internet security. It's light on resources, and has live updates.
http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

Ccleaner is a multipurpose tool. It has a very good registry cleaner, cleans windows files, cleans browser files, and can uninstall programs.
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Revo uninstaller is simply that. It's for uninstalling software, including software that other uninstallers can't remove. It also cleans up all file traces and registry entries.
http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_do...

Malwarebytes is a top notch malware scanner. It doesn't provide real time protection, as Avast does. However, if you have an infection, scan with Malwarebytes in safe mode with networking, and it will remove almost anything.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

All serve their individual purpose, and all are free. :) 

Thanks for your introduction very much! I saw all the softwares' recommendation information you mentioned above. But I found all these softwares are just for cleaning antivirus or malwares. What I want is some optimization softwares have functions like backup systems and datas, disk cleanup and any other functions.Not just for antivirus. Thanks!
Score
April 28, 2010 2:31:44 AM

galecary you say you want some optimization softwares have functions like backup systems and datas, disk cleanup and any other functions.Not just for antivirus. The optimization softwares you mentioned above I think maybe OK. But if you want me to recommend a better to you. I think I will agree with jemma's introduction.PowerSuite 2010, I have used this software now. It may provide all the functions which you mentioned above. But it is not free.However, most of useful softwares in market are not free. I guess if it really can solve your problems, you will not care if it will cost a fee. After all, it's fee is reasonable.
Score
April 28, 2010 3:24:01 AM

CCLeaner does the optimization you're looking for. For backup, EASEUS and Paragon are free for backing up images. Or you can pay for Acronis. Karen's Replicator is great just for backing up just folders on a schedule.

Aford, Saga Lout and I have worked collectively on thousands of computers, whereas the 2 younger members have one post apiece and presumably are not in the IT field. The 3 of us have a combination of maybe 60 years experience. Your choice.

If any program runs too slowly, run it when you're not using the computer. After a while, it will run faster anyway.
Score
April 28, 2010 3:53:14 AM

I appreciate the sentiment graywolf. However, I was also once a newcomer with my 1st post. I don't think post count should dismiss the other members' input.
Score
April 28, 2010 5:04:25 AM

Badly worded. How about experience?
Score
April 28, 2010 5:08:08 AM

I don't know what their experience is.
Score
April 28, 2010 5:08:11 AM

Galecary--you said you were concerned about memory usage. How much memory do you have?
Score
April 28, 2010 6:17:54 AM

graywolf said:
Galecary--you said you were concerned about memory usage. How much memory do you have?

My memory is 512M.
Score
April 28, 2010 6:21:45 AM

aford10 said:
I appreciate the sentiment graywolf. However, I was also once a newcomer with my 1st post. I don't think post count should dismiss the other members' input.

I agree with you, we can't identify if a person's words is worthy through how many posts are he/she attach.
Score
April 28, 2010 11:50:59 AM

galecary said:
My memory is 512M.

That's a little low. I like having at least 1GB for XP.
Score
April 28, 2010 4:26:36 PM

aford10 said:
I don't know what their experience is.

In distinguishing among the various answers offered, galecary, would you be interested in each replier's experience they have on various computers, how many they've repaired, and how many years they're using XP, etc?

Or would you just like to use the fastest program that uses the least amount of memory?

Power Suite2010, BTW, is on a site with a low WOT Rating, meaning they have negative, reliability, trustworthiness, and/or privacy settings.

Score
April 28, 2010 4:37:43 PM

aford10,

You knew d---- well what I meant by my reply. Instead of helping me out, you're trying to one-up me. I'm going to answer here what you should have written to me privately. All replies are not EQUAL, despite the supposed "wisdom of crowdsourcing."

I don't mean anything personally against jeamessmi and jemma, and that fact that they're here means they enjoy helping people. :hello:  I'm far from a computer expert, still learning, but I'm a sponge for all things computer, I read, I research, I compare, I go to workshops, I consult with IT friends. There's a basic problem here that exists on all forums: whom should we trust for the best answer?

With maybe 5 or 6 answers to a query, how do you choose? We have people who just bought their first XP, or even their first computer, for instance, competing with folks who have used computers 30 years, and people in the IT field who know computer architecture inside out. They all produce replies.

If you were putting out your first query here, and you knew very little about your system, how would you choose an answer?
Score
April 28, 2010 5:13:25 PM

Let's not hijack this thread. I'll PM you.
Score
April 29, 2010 1:32:17 AM

graywold, do you feel you have little excessive of what you say? OK! Maybe you think jemma and I are just not as familiar as you with computers. But what I want to say is we just simply want to introduce our ideas to gale, but you denied our advices and belittled us. Do you mean what you say is right, but any others' is wrong? I can't agree with you! I stick to my own opinion.! Who says small softwares are useless? At least I feel good with them.
Score
April 29, 2010 2:01:52 AM

You can suggest whatever you like and use whatever you want. You'd better read my replies again as I did not belittle you, I did not say "small softwares are useless" I absolutely didn't say "softwares" at all. Would you like to quote the sentence where I belittled you? In fact most of the programs we suggested are far smaller than Power Suite. But they also do the same thing better for free.

I said the company that makes the program is sleazy, it's actually called Uniblue, and it goes by 41 other aliases. I also stated that WOT gives the site a red rating. You can look up the WOT rating yourself.

I also know that Saga Lout and Digital, who are friends of mine and have a combined experience of over 70 years in the IT field, have used some combo of our suggestions on literally hundreds of computers. I have myself used those programs on fewer computers, and also on my own builds. Aford has recommended those programs to hundreds of users here. The OP can then choose what he wishes, but he should have some facts first.

BTW--I suggest you show a more modest photo of yourself as your avatar. This is a family-friendly site, and some of our users are as young as 14.
Score
April 29, 2010 2:23:35 AM

Aha, I just pulled up some background on aford10 from another thread:

-Vo-tech training in A+ and Novell networking
-2 years in college of programming in COBOL, visual basic, and CIS core classes
-Works in a bank IT department.
-Also his own small side business in PC repair and custom building.

Score
April 29, 2010 2:40:17 AM

OK, I apologize for my avatar. But the reason why you display them to us wants to tell us what? To let people believe what you say and deny what I recommend? OK, I admit and I respect the persons who with much experience on this field. But you say "the company that makes the program is sleazy"? I think you deny all the programmers of that product! We should respect other peoples' work. You can say this product is not so good, but you should't say "the program is sleazy"!
Score
April 29, 2010 2:49:56 AM

I think all of you have your points. I will think over of your advices. Thank you!
Score
April 29, 2010 3:19:18 AM

Alright guys and gals, game over.
Score
April 29, 2010 3:20:23 AM

This topic has been closed by Aford10
Score
!