PCI-X card in PCI slot

DavidMS

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
I have a old Adaptec 2410SA (PCI-X 3.3v card) that I installed in a VIA KT333 (PCI 32bit slots) based system that I am using for a test server as I study for the MCSE. Needless to say neither the BIOS or Windows 2003 detected the card which I haven't tested but as far as I know is good. From what I know most PCIX cards work in PCI slots. Did I break anything? The server works fine, I am worried about the SATA raid card. When I removed it from the system, the processor was warm so it was getting electricity.

Is there a way to make it work? I hope I didn't fry the card.

Thanks,

David

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007

DavidMS

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
Thanks, that worked. On the downside shortly thereafter the old board refused to boot :( . I now have to hit Newegg for a replacement CPU/Heatsink/MB/Ram. If I pull everything out and it still flashes error messages not properly listed on the MSI website, its time to replace.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
I suggest the PCIe (1x-16x) cards. I never heard anything good about the PCI-X. (even though I never used PCI-X)
Ok, not a helpful post. But I still beleve the PCIe is 100x more common and should be fast enough.
I will personally get a PCIe SATA RAID card as soon as I need more SATA devices because all ports are full using RAID-5 and adding RAID-0 and those Blu-Ray drives that use SATA rather than parallel.

DavidMS

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2007
PCI-X works in servers well enough. But most machines today use PCI-E. When I get the machine up and running, I will probably hold off until summer to get a PCIE raid card.

Thanks for the advice.