New PC, athlon 64 x2 or Core 2 Duo ?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Movies
  • DVD
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
December 1, 2007 10:38:46 AM

Hey I've just bought a Zune 30gb, and I am looking for a faster pc for converting dvd movies to WMV......With my specs an ATHLON XP3000+, 1GB RAM,geforce 7800 gt 256mb , 300gb disc space,and windows xp, my times for converting a dvd to WMV, is like if a movie is 90 minutes, it takes my pc like 3+ to 4+ hours to convert the movie, that is decrypting and all, I am using cucusoft dvd and video suite to do that , and it takes too much time....

I am thinking about getting a athlon 64 x2 dual core or a Intel PENTIUM dual core, wich one should I GET, thanks, in advance, and I am thinking about buying a pc , not building.

More about : athlon core duo

December 1, 2007 10:56:28 AM

It depends X2's are cheaper, a 5600+ x2 should do well price/performance wise.
December 1, 2007 11:56:04 AM

Heh, your title of the thread is confusing when your saying Pentium dual core. C2D are not Pentium D's.

If your really into encoding video, you might want to consider a quad core setup, or Intel Q6600 Kentfield.

But if you don't want to build, I can't really say what to recommend. Dell seems to be an okay option.
December 1, 2007 11:56:44 AM

well, what socket is in your mobo? (intel will be out of the question considering what you are using now)
December 1, 2007 12:03:57 PM

He did mention XP3000+, so he can't drop a AMD64 X2 CPU in there.
December 1, 2007 12:04:38 PM

As I stated, I am not building, cause my current rig does not allows for upgrades, its an emachines.....
December 1, 2007 12:14:40 PM

XPS 420

Quote:
PROCESSOR Intel® Core™2 Q6600 Quad-Core (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB) edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium edit
MEMORY 3GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz - 4 DIMMs edit
HARD DRIVE 320GB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache edit
OPTICAL DRIVE Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability edit
MONITORS No Monitor edit
VIDEO CARD 128MB ATI Radeon HD 2400 PRO edit
SOUND CARD Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio edit
BLUETOOTH AND MEDIA READER Dell 19 in 1 Media Reader with Bluetooth edit
KEYBOARD Dell USB Keyboard edit
MOUSE Dell Optical USB Mouse edit
WI-FI AND MODEM 56K PCI Data Fax Modem edit
My Software & Accessories
SPEAKERS No speakers (Speakers are required to hear audio from your system) edit
ADOBE ELEMENTS STUDIO Adobe Elements Studio for XPS™ 420 edit
ANTI-VIRUS & SECURITY Trend Micro Internet Security 15-months edit
PRODUCTIVITY Microsoft Works 8. DOES NOT INCLUDE MS WORD edit

Dell Recommends
Upgrade your software!
Upgrade to Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2007 [add $149 or $5/month1]
My Service
WARRANTY AND SERVICE 1Yr In-Home Service, Parts + Labor,24x7 Phone Support edit
DATASAFE ONLINE BACKUP Free 10GB DataSafe Online Backup for 1Year edit
DIAL-UP INTERNET ACCESS No ISP requested edit
ALSO INCLUDED WITH YOUR SYSTEM
FLOPPY & MEDIA READER Dell Media Card Reader included in Dell Bluetooth Package
Labels Windows Vista™ Premium
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 8.1
PHOTOS, MUSIC & MORE! No Entertainment software pre-installed

Quote:
Starting Price $999
Instant Savings $100
Subtotal $899

As low as $27/month

Perhaps you can reuse some of your current compoents in that dell, for example the 7800GT.
a b à CPUs
December 1, 2007 12:26:18 PM

Grimmy wrote :

Perhaps you can reuse some of your current compoents in that dell, for example the 7800GT.

Unfortunately, his 7800GT would be incompatible since it's AGP, but he can certainly still make use of his 300GB hard drive capacity.

Comp :sol: 
December 1, 2007 12:46:29 PM

CompuTronix said:
Grimmy wrote :

Unfortunately, his 7800GT would be incompatible since it's AGP, but he can certainly still make use of his 300GB hard drive capacity.

Comp :sol: 

Errr Ummm... I thought the 7800GS was AGP. The GT should be PCI-E? It's been awhile since I looked back at them. :heink: 
December 1, 2007 12:50:55 PM

I was thinking about the pc graphics card, it's agp, I know, but the graphics card does not help at all when it comes to video transcoding right, cause , at this moment I will use the onboard video or the default card that comes with the new pc, I am not thinking about gaming cause I am already tired of upgrading videocards every 1and a half year.....
December 1, 2007 12:52:52 PM

Grimmy said:
Intel Q6600 Kentfield.

I totally agree there. For encoding, which is highly multi-threaded you need a quad-core. AMD quad is a joke.

If you end up going dual-core AMD and Intel would be a good choice, they're prices are pretty much matched up. However, I'd go with Intel for a better quad-core upgrade path later.
December 1, 2007 12:53:09 PM

Are you sure, it's 7800GT? Or GS? I did a search and indeed see that the 7800GS are AGP. I didn't really see any AGP that are 7800GT though. :cry: 
December 1, 2007 1:23:25 PM

Don't go with the office max. It has a Pentium D. All Pentium D's suck, period. Go with a AM2 Athlon X2 or Core 2 Duo, at the least. But I still highly recommend the Core 2 Quad.
December 1, 2007 1:25:45 PM

Will look at mobo's and cpu's alone, don't know now what to do........
December 1, 2007 3:11:23 PM

if you want to do overclocking, or you want the fastest system possible then go core 2 or core 2 quad.... iif ur not going to overclock and you want a cheapish midrange system possibly go for amd...

but look at some benchies for dvd conversion. ill bet that procs based on the core 2 architecture are faster per $ (including mobo) because core 2 has superior sse3/4 instructions and generally, clock 4 clock it rapes athlons in multimedia benchmarks and applications.

also id check if your dvd program is multithreaded... you will see little to no speed advantage buying an amd x2 system at the same clock speed as the 1 you have if the dvd conversion program cant take advantage of multiple cores
December 1, 2007 4:51:12 PM

OK, I am kind of lost, what's the difference between dual core and core 2 duo ?
December 1, 2007 5:41:38 PM

It depends on what u mean.

The Pentium D are intels old arcitecture they run hot and use alot of power.

The Intel dual-core is basicaly a striped down Core 2 duo with only 1mb l2 catch however, they are known to overclock like crazy. This is ur best price to performace ratio in my opinion.

Someone correct me if im wrong.
December 1, 2007 6:03:17 PM

Vor Atreides said:
OK, I am kind of lost, what's the difference between dual core and core 2 duo ?

The Pentium D(ual) is the older architecture that was based on Netburst. Even though they have 2 cores and run at a higher clock rate, its actually slower the Intels newer Core 2 Duos (C2D). The reason for that is its a different architecture which has a larger shared L2 cache, and it performs 4 instruction sets per cycle (C2D), vs 2 instruction sets per cycle (Pentium D). Intel also wanted to get away from the name Pentium.

Now with AMD X2, they are dual cores as well. The also performed better then the Pentium D's. Its architecture is also different, and is about over 2 years old? It's memory controller chip is on the die rather then in the northbridge. It performs 3 instruction sets per cycle, and is still slower then the new or 1 year old C2D by Intel.

Here's info from Wikipedia:

Core 2 Duo

Athlon 64 X2
Socket AM2
Socket AM2+

AMD's Quad:

Phenom (processor)

Hope that helps.
December 1, 2007 8:43:40 PM

OK, from what I read then the core 2 duo runs faster, cause it runs 4 instructions against 64x2 3 instructions, then maybe I should get C2D and get me a good mobo, and some ram, and maybe I can build a decent rig for overclocking the cpu, what should I look for in a mobo for that C2D CPU ? THANKS, for all the help.
!