Will this work

drcal

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2004
My daughter assumes that since I built my computer that I can answer all her problems. Please help me with this.
She wants to do a wireless connection between her laptop and her HP Officejet 6110 (old house with no way to run wire). She found the Netgear FWG114P that combines a wireless access point, router and USB print server and it seemed ideal, but...
As I have researched this folks warn about the lack of bidirectionality, why should I care?
She is not concerned about scanning or faxing or copying wirelessly, she can go to the den and connect directly the few times she wants to do that. All she wants to do with the wireless connection is print, and that would pretty much just be B&W documents for work and school.
Would this be possible?

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
I think that what is meant by lack of bidirectionality is that the printer cannot talk back to the computer. Usualy, printers (if they are relativily recent) send to the computer their status (ex. ink level, problems ...). If you don't have bidirectional port it won't be able to send that.

In ancient times they had no statistics so they had to fall back on lies

G4t3k33p0r

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2004
<b>
Poster: kwebb
Subject: Re: Will this work

For starters, re-read his post....carefully.</b>

Good point, kwebb. Instead of answering HIS question, I gave him an answer to his <i>daughter's</i> question.

To be honest, kwebb, I thought that the way you started your post was a bit condescending. I am sorry if I have offended you in some way. That is not my intention.

g4t3k33p0r