Acer windows 7 wireless signal loss

transcendx

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Hi,
I have new Acer Aspire 5739G laptop and fresh Windows 7 on it.
The wireless card is Intel WiFi Link 5100.
The problem is that wireless works only in short distance with access point - max distance is about 5 meters.
In that distance everything works fine.
But if I go farther or to another room it disconnects.
With other laptops all works fine even on very large distance.

I tried such things (nothing helped):
* uninstall, reinstall or update drivers
* install newest drivers from Acer site
* install newest drivers from Intel site
* tested with xp & vista drivers
* on network connection properties unchecked all things except tcp/ip v4 protocol (microsoft networking,sharing, link layer topology,QoS, TCP/IP v6 ..)
* disabled homegroup
* on adapter properties changed signal frequencies (1,6,11),
* on adapter properties changed standard type to work with: 802.11 b or g
* on adapter properties changed signal to MAX, don't use power saving
* disabled internet security, firewall
* Changed access point signal broadcasting with no encryption or wpa
* it disconects from another access point the same way (problem with system not wifi AP)

Maybe something forgot to say, but there was few hours of testing and can't fix it :(

Waiting for Your advice

Solution
G

Brought it back today to Harvey Norman. They tried it and agreed that it was faulty and gave me a new laptop, same make and model, without any debate. The new one is working perfectly.
G

transendx has described the same problem and tried the same fixes as I have spent the last 2 days suffering. Its going back to the shop tomorrow

transcendx

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009

Yes, these were my options to do too:
-> check with XP
-> if doesn't work, get Acer support

It doesn't work with XP too. It seem's that I have to go back to the shop.

The same as spmcol2007 said.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
I would wager that the antenna is physically disconnected... they typically run (internally) up the sides of the screens on laptops. After reassembling a laptop after an LCD swap, I nearly forgot to connect this back. That (besides MASSIVE RF interference) is about the only thing that could explain your ultra short range.

G

Brought it back today to Harvey Norman. They tried it and agreed that it was faulty and gave me a new laptop, same make and model, without any debate. The new one is working perfectly.

Solution

BeagonBoy

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I have this exact same problem. Got the thing on Tuesday finally, and discovered yesterday that the range is appalling. After much fiddling and driver downloading and such, phoned Acer and they told me to reinstall 7. Had no effect, and now Acer close their call centre at 5.30 so I can't phone back till tomorrow. So yeah, going to either have to send it off to Acer, or call Microdirect, although after I purchased this model, they went out-of-stock on it so I think it was the last one.

vchris88

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2009
i have the same problem with acer aspire 5735. i baught this one month ago from ebay and yesterday i tried to move my laptop away from wireless router so i discovered this problem with my laptop. is there any way to fix it? i have the same problem with windows vista and windows 7.. do u think changing the internal wifi card will fix the problem?