Curious P5B Issue

mattk8

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
Hi everyone,

I have a P5B Deluxe WiFi mb with a e6400 overclocked to ~3GHz. This system has been working great since I built it many months ago. Now, I can't get it to POST.

Around a month ago, the system started failing to post after powering on (the system would turn on, it would check the CD-ROM drive, etc., but the monitor stayed blank). However, if you pressed restart, the system would usually (95% of the time) POST and boot up as normal. Occasionally this "restart workaround" failed, and the system would have to be powered down, powered up again, and restarted, which would usually fix the problem. Once the system is up it is totally stable, no problems at all.

Today, I tried updating the BIOS in the hopes that this might fix the issue. I updated to the latest 1226 BIOS after downloading the file and using Asus Update to flash the bios from windows.

After restarting, the computer will now not post no matter what I do (restarting doesn't help).

This may be two different problems (BIOS messed up, plus original problem), I don't know. In any case the computer will turn on and appear to be powering up, but the monitor never displays anything and my old "restart workaround" is not doing anything.

Any ideas??? Thanks profusely for any advice.

P.S. I tried clearing the CMOS by 1. turning computer off, unplugging power connection 2. Removing MB battery and moving jumper to pins 2-3 for 20 seconds before returning it to pins 1-2 3. replacing battery, plugging power back in. The system has identical behavior after this procedure.

The original asus motherboard driver cd should come with crash free, a bios recovery program. Or, asus will reflash your bios chip for $5 if you mail it to them protected. You can also try a pci video card to boot up for reflashing the bios.

mattk8

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
Thanks for your reply!

At the moment the pc won't boot off the cd rom, unless I'm doing something wrong. Sorry for the ignorance, is there a good way to use the bios recovery tool?

Also, any insight into the strange restart issue? (i.e. that computer only boots correctly upon restart, not power on)

mattk8

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
Update: After trying many different approaches, I was finally able to POST and boot up into windows by holding the insert key while powering up. This worked on perhaps try #22! But eventually it did work. Numerous CMOS clears and other approaches did nothing unfortunately. So thanksfully, I'm more or less back where I started, to the perplexing restart issue.

Does anyone have any idea why the computer would boot up after restart but not on power up? To be clear, the computer powers on after pressing the power button, it just never displays anything on the monitor. Then, if you press the Restart button, the computer will usually POST and boot into windows.

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I'm beginning to think that these Asus mobos are flaky, I'm seeing too many posts with boot problems. That's just a gut feeling though. You didn't post your specs so I don't know what you have. It could be RAM, PSU, or mobo. Post your specs. If you have 2 sticks of RAM try with one. Download the Ultimate Boot CD and run memtest86+. You will need to burn the ISO to CD with ISO Recorder v 2.

valis

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005
i've actually had similar issues with a p4b deluxe mobo, but they didn't start until my PS fried. issues started after replacing it, possibly borked something on the board.

it's nearly time for a new comp for me so i'm not too annoyed by it.

mattk8

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
Hi All,

Here are my specs, sorry for not posting them sooner:
- Asus P5B Deluxe/WiFi (BIOS 0804)
- E6400 processor@3Ghz
- Zalman 7700 cooler
- Seasonic 430W PSU
- GeForce 7600GS
- 2 x 1GB RAM AmpX/Wintec 5400
- Antec Solo case
- Sony DDU1615 DVD Drive
- Pioneer DVD+-R/RAM
- Slightly older 250 GB PATA Seagate drive (purchased prior to this system)
- 320 GB SATA Seagate Drive (same age as system)

I will try the various RAM permutations when I get home, as well as well as memtest86+.

@Zorg Thanks for the ref to teh P5K thread. It sounds scarily similar. I'd say the main difference here is that it _never_ works on normal power up, but pretty much always works on restart. Also, I don't get an "overclocking failed" message, it just boots up normally when it does boot.

@roadrunner197069 The power button itself seems to be working (the system does power on when I press it), but I will nevertheless try shorting the power pins on the mobo too to see if that addresses it.

I am also going to try updating the BIOS to 1226 (unless someone tells me this is a bad idea). I'll do it via EZ Flash 2 this time, not AsusUpdate!

I'll let y'all know what I find, and if anyone has any other ideas, I'm all ears. Thanks for your help and patience!

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
This thread sis for a P5N-E SLI mobo and his problem is different, but they mentioned raising the FSB. I don't know if it will help, but it may be worth a shot. p5n-e sli problems... please help a newbie. Here is the quote.

mattk8

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2006
Good News! Simply moving one RAM module to another slot has fixed the issue! Now it will boot up normally after using the power button, rather than having to power up and then restart every time. Thanks to Zorg for suggesting this, and everyone for your helpful tips!

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
I'm happy to hear that the mobo is good, I was starting to wonder about Asus. I don't remember specifically telling you to to move a RAM stick. Maybe it was in one of the threads I linked. It is a good idea, and the first thing to do. One question, do you still have the RAM running in dual channel? Because if you move one stick you need to move the other, in order to keep them in the same bank. Unless, of course, they weren't in the same bank to begin with.

If they don't work in dual channel there's no need to panic. The lost increase in bandwidth is not enough to get upset about.