Sign in with
Your question

Raid0 complication

Last response: in Storage
August 24, 2008 7:28:32 PM

Hi, I have the gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 rev 1.0

http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_...

Just set up a raid0 with 2 wd 320's, no problems there, the problem arises with having my optical drives on the sata ports as well. I get bsod's when i use the roms, id love to use ide roms but as u can see by the pic of the board, long video cards block the stupid ide port (such a well designed board....).

Is it actually suppose to be possible to use sata drives while using raid, or am i just better off getting a new board

More about : raid0 complication

August 24, 2008 8:09:22 PM

Make sure the SATA ports your using for the optical drives are not part of the RAID array.

August 24, 2008 8:26:53 PM

well during start-up, it shows the part where i can press ctlr+F to set up raid, it has my 2 hd's in 1 and set as functional, then it shows both my dvd burners under it, flashing, with no writing next to it, im thinking it just made all 4 ports for raid no matter.
If youwish il take high quality pics of my start up and show them.
Related resources
August 24, 2008 8:30:46 PM

Double check your Mobo manual, and see which ports are for which raid controller. Like Hesskia said, your optical drives should be on a seperate controller from the raid.

-PM
August 24, 2008 8:43:34 PM

bah, all 4 ports are on 1 controller, so i guess im screwed

any advice on an am2 board that lets me do what i want to do?
August 24, 2008 8:47:22 PM

Just buy a PCI or PCI express 1x Sata controller card. put your optical drives on that. Cost you less than a new mobo.

:bounce:  :hello: 

Cheers,

-PM
August 24, 2008 11:30:45 PM

i would but this mobo blows, both nbridge and sbridge heated to 70+ so i had to change both sinks, vregs heat up more than a 4850 on stock fan speeds, plus all these problems, i didnt expect much for 105 bucks but i still expected more than this....
August 25, 2008 12:10:13 AM

Fair enough,

A new Mobo sounds good.

I have the MSI K9A2 Platinum. 150 USD, and it works like a charm

NB = 45
SB = 30

Thats under load.

Cheers mate,

-PM
!