Geforce 8600M GT has low fps, HELPPP

zachsm

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
Ok, recently my Inspiron E1705 was replaced with a 1720 under warrranty (they replaced it without talking to me). My Inspiron E1705 had a Geforce Go 7900GS with 1.7 core2duo and 2gig 533 DDR2 RAM with Vista. Sometimes Id use this system to play games like css and halflife 2. My old system played these games at around 100+ FPS average.

My new system, the 1720, has a 8600M GT, 2GHZ Core2Duo and 2GB 667 RAM with Vista. When I play I see that it is noticably slower, and I recieve around 50 frames per second average with Vertical Sync on, and 70 percent with vertical sync off in counterstrike source in the video stress test. The game is mostly in the red when the cl_showfps command is run in console.

Is there an issue with my graphics card? Ive tried both drivers from tweaksrus.com, and the standard driver from nvidia. They all are around the same. Is it Vista? They sent me my old powersupply back, is the standard 1720 powersupply rate at 90W? I wish i could try the driver from laptopvideo2go but it is currently down.

if you need any more info, just ask. Ill take any screenshots/etc needed. Ill appreciate any help I can get. Thanks

MrCommunistGen

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2005
The 8600M GT is a slower card, and Vista's higher system overhead probably didn't help either. At least on the desktop an 8600GTS is roughly equivalent to a 7900GS. All my games run slower in Vista although most still run acceptably. A few like Lost Planet and Oblivion took a pretty big nosedive.

I'd complain. Dell does stupid things all the time and usually gets away with it because most people don't know the difference. Several years ago a friend of mine ordered a GeForce 3 from Dell for his Dell tower. This was right when the GeForce 4 came out and they changed his order to a GeForce 4MX because they were out of stock. At the time I hadn't even heard of a GF4 and assumed it was faster but after doing some checking found out that the MX series was just a glorified GF2. I've also had numerous problems with their hardware and tech support and always recommend AGAINST buying a Dell.

-mcg

slim142

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2006
I would say that you were experiencing better FPS because NVIDIA supports directly the 7900GS with their drivers, unlike the 8600M GT, you need to get your drivers from the manufacturer.

Go to laptopvideo2go.com and download the latest drivers (169.09 are recommended) and make sure you read how to install it since you need the modified .Inf file.

I guarantee to you that you will get a perfomance boost.