VID1.2000=Colder than ice: 1.325v for 3.6GHz on Q6600 G0! Believe it!

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
For all you VID doubters out there, I have a LOW, mid and high VID G0 q6600. (1.2000, 1.2625, 1.3000) And with out a doubt the lower one is insanely awesome! I decided I was bored and did a whopping hour of actual testing! While my results are far from conclusive, it gives you a general idea of the power of VID!

First, I measured the temps in my room, I seem to favor 81 degrees, so I opened the door and it liked 70, so 21c is where I left the temps, and adjusted via air if the temps went up or down. Then I fired up the 1.2000 at stock and took the readings with all but Core temp, because I forgot to start in disable driver signature mode. The VCore is amazing, how low its stock settings are, and the temps on a miss seated TRUE with one Kaze fan. Look at those Temps!

Stock Loaded: http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/Lupiron/teststockopendoor24Loaded.jpg

Stock Idle: http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/Lupiron/stocktestdonepausedfor5minsopendoor.jpg

Now after peeking at stock settings. (Stock settings for the RAM and CPU. MB options adjusted properly. 3.6 was still stock on ram, and just fsb of 400 with the x 9 multi. Very simple and basic. MoBo is a P5k-e wifi, power is an 850 thermaltake. Ram, 1066 GSkill 5-5-5-15) I decided to just jump straight to 3.6 and was targeting a 1.3250 Loaded VCore. Just to be at the highest VID rated processor. (Looks like it goes from 1.18 to 1.3250 max. With about 20 steps between in VID's.) I actually made a mistake and didnt enable load line calibration which partially corrects the vdroop, thats why its so Low!! I DID NOT think that it would last 10 seconds fully loaded at that VCore!

3.6 Idle : http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/Lupiron/36testidleopendoor.jpg

3.6 Loaded: http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/Lupiron/loaded36LOWVolttest.jpg

The temps speak for themselves. I dont need to say anything more than try and set your VCore to droop that low when fully loaded and see for yourself what happens! I will add to this as I get time for longer testing and all that junk. But from the lil testing I did, WOW!!

And anyone knows that though it may not be stable for 8 hours that low, it wont take to much more, if it needs any! And anyone who tests will look and see that its pretty obvious. I LUCKED out with this VID! I am sooooo Happy!!

I Look forward to your thoughts.

--Lupi

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
I sure the heck will when I get it to sit right. For some reason I have to fight with the thing to get the TRUE mounted right. I can tell be cause the TRUE's delta was 17, with a low of 16. The 17 manifests at higher temps, because its effective at keeping the TCase so cool. However, when its not seated properly and making full contact with the processors IHS, the delta is lower. Its 15 when Loaded and hot, so that isnt seated right.

I tested that theory because it took me 30 tries to get the TRUE on my 1.2625 where it was FULLY effective. And I know what its delta is because the temps were WAY higher than these. The Delta get to the 17 loaded, but remains low when idle.

Anyone else have any info on delta and its number when its performance is higher?

--Lupi!

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008

He's too busy bragging to talk. Is this the third thread about this now? :p

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Isnt that nuts? Once I wanna take the boring several hours to get the TRUE seated right, this thing is gonna smoke. I actually thought I had speed step on when I saw the VID, LOL!

And now I know that it does mean better OC, just because its cooler, because of its low voltage requirements! So lets just say that it does nothing else. Its simply better because its voltage is so low. 1.16 in windows, lol!!

I wonder what the odds are for getting the different VID chips. to bad there is no way to know how many out of a batch passed intels testing at this voltage. Because they can all test differently!

Nuts!

--Lupi!

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
As an additive, it appears that there really is a sliding scale for voltage. Think on this: The hotter the cores, the more voltage it needs, the higher the speed, the more voltage it needs, the more heat it produces. On and on as far as I can tell.

Starting at 1.2000 allows the processor to not need as much voltage because its cooler, and needs less voltage. As the voltage ID gets higher, you automatically need more VCore to reach a speed.

For instance, my 1.2625 needs 1.38 loaded to be stable at 3.6, (The 1.2000 was near that 1.30)So we have .2625 difference, yet it needs an additional .02 to be stable. Why is that? As I was saying, it appears that simply starting higher makes the voltage less efficient, and it creates more heat. That extra heat and the fact that the voltage is higher requires more voltage at a given speed.

The same applied to my 1.3000. It needed 1.45 at 3.6 to be stable. We can compare that to the 1.2620, and the 1.2000 and we see that not only does it need that full .1 for being 1.30 vs 1.20, Yet it needs .45 more. Could that be our higher starting voltage requiring more voltage off the top for simply being higher? I guess higher means a higher loss of efficiency. Then the heat causes it to be less efficient as well... and there you have it!

I have no way to measure the precise amount of difference, just noticeable amounts, but it seems obvious that something is at work here.

So again, Lower VID is meaning a better over clock, simply because it appears to be more efficient for needing less starting voltage! (Not to mention the 16 voltage steps in my bios between 1.2 and 1.3! To make it simple, I get to use them, and you wouldnt.)

If that doesnt make you re think the VID thing, I dont know what will!

--Lupi!

papasmurf211

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
my G0 is 1.2250 VID, congrats on the great VID. Btw i run @ 3.6 @ 1.2975v (bios) 1.27v real. Interesting what you found though, if the cores are producing more heat does it really cause it to require more voltage? If this is true do you know how much of a difference in voltage this can need?

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

Normally, higher temps will increase more resistance in the copper and such, which means more voltage required to power it. As for the difference, I'd imagine it isn't very large, depending on how large the temp diff is.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
anything that produce heat means there is resistant.and to overcome that you need to rise the voltage to lower current hence reduce the resistant and wasted heat.the best example would be the national grid are carrying eletricity in thousands of volts through many miles.

and event though in the cpu core is made up of silicon but there are current going through it.and while some of the current is passing through the parts inside the cpu,and some of the power will transform the current to heat due to resistant

for example if you want to achieve 3.6ghz you need 1.4V but when set 1.4v to go through the cpu let say 0.05V gets wasted through the resistant so the cpu is only getting 1.35V and thats not sufficient for the cpu to run at 3.6ghz.so your cpu will crash or freeze.so you need to set a higher voltage (1.45v)to compensate what it is intended to be (1.4V).

the above example just a simple explaination,of course there are other things to consider like the vdroop are there to overcome the fluctuation in power.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Yeah, and wow, I am on dial up because I moved to a new location! F'ing slow! The need in voltage seems to be just a little bit more. I guess I cant equate it, really. Its just there, and when playing with so many different VIDs you see that there is more VCore needed for the higher VID ones than the difference in VID alone.

Like the 1.2000 vs 1.3000 You'd think that since one needs 1.30 for 3.6, the other should just need 1.40. The difference in starting voltage, but that doesnt work. It needs a little more for whatever reason. I am sure its attributed to several factors, but mentioning it here may cause someone else to play around and add to it!

BTW, so far my board hates 3.8 and higher! It always fails prime. I kept my 1.2625 VID at 3.8 for a good amount of time and had no real problems, other than it couldnt pass primes test 4. It did everything else! And now with that super low VID one, the same thing, cant pass prime at 3.8, and I can take it up 10 more notches of VCore beyond my 1.2625!

Conclusion? Its the Board. I am not positive of that, but I dont think its the processor, unless they all begin to fail at 3.8. The p5k-e, while very good for OCing, is an older board, and these newer ones were designed for more speed!

Damn, I have a maximus formula... the only reason I dont use it was because its FSB didnt boot after 450. BUT if I use the x9 multi, thats more that enough! Kewl!!! I will have to do that. I have a new work room thats like 60 degrees! And would take 10 hours to heat back up because its solid brick!

I wont be around much... Miss you guys! ::Sniffsniff.::

Dont get lax without your master around, Evil! I shall assign you a task soon! I just got a phenom HD8400? What the hell is that? Is that the errata corrected one? My other one is a 9 series, 9500. Gonna google it now! Later!!

--Lupi

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
WTF?? Its a TRI Core Processor? Thats friggin' weird!! What the hell can you do with three cores that you cant do with four?? Anyone else have one of these creepy things??

--Lupi

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Woo hoo! Scored a pair of q6700! Now I can make a new thread... again, and see if the q6700 VIDs are as random at the q6600, of if intel just OC'd their own q6600.

--Lupi

Evilonigiri

Splendid
Jun 8, 2007

Haha...uhh...

A TRI core is a crippled Quad core Phenom...it's a B2 btw.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
LOL, niiiice! See, its 920 are yer gone already! Got another q6600, gonna VID it here in a min. Triple cripple, lol, I Love it, but hey, if you cant beat intels quads, beat their core duo, lol! Three is better than 2! Nice tactic, dont you guys think?

--Lupi!

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Hmmm, its okay, 1.2500. So now I have a real set. 1.2000, 1.2500, 1.2625, 1.3000, 1.3250!

Think I can get some reliable testing from a whole series, Low, semi low, mid, mid high, high and very high!

--Lupi