Odd ocing issue Q6600 Maximus

papasmurf211

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
Alright ive had my cpu at 3.6 ghz for a couple months now, (450 x 8) 1.2875v. Ive ran small ffts for about 8 hours and its stable but when i run prime95 blend no matter what i do i can never get it to run more than an hour. I know its not my ram because ive tested both sticks and ive returned the ram to stock. No matter what voltages ive changed it never successfully runs prime95 blend. Ive raised NB, SB, CPU PLL, FSB Term, and all the rest. My main voltage which is stable in small ffts (1.2875v) ive raised up to 1.3000 and it dosnt run blend any longer. When i return all overclocks to stock blend seems to run. Does this make any sense? Ive not seen any instability in any other programs. Could this be some sort of glitch or issue maybe with the Maximus?

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
set vcore to 1.4V or more.i think its not enough voltage to the cpu.i run my small ffts for 24 hours before declare 100% stable.

bwcause of the the vdroop the mobo could be supplying insufficient power to your cpu.

what is your VID?in my case 1.3V for VID and i need 1.3125V in bios to get 3ghz.

dagger

Splendid
Mar 23, 2008
It's the low vcore. It's way too low, even for the best chip you can get.

The conventional wisdom is small ffts are best for stressing cpu. Under some realistic conditions, this is not true. It's best to test with larger ffts for either lowest stable vcore or highest heat level. Larger ffts draw more power and produce more heat.

papasmurf211

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
my vid is (1.2250v) I realized that i also got an error in prime 95 large fft's, by raising the NB and FSB term i got it to run for 3 more hours. Now i raised my voltage to 1.2975v and ill see. The reason why i felt something was wrong was because even when i increased voltage to 1.3000v i didnt see any increase in the time Blend ran.

papasmurf211

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
even after i raised my voltage up to 1.2975v my system passed large ffts for 10 hours and 48 minutes and then failed BTW it always fails on core 3 except on the blend test where it fails on random cores. For some reason even at such a low voltage this Q6600 runs much hotter than any other Q6600 than i have ever owned i have a tuniq tower 120 lapped. I might have to wait for my watercooler to get here before i can test this out at 1.3000v for large fft's. My temps were getting up to 65c in some cases.

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
LOL, Best chip ya can get? Hahaha, oh, sorry, thats an old post, pre 1.2000! LOL! :: Pokes Dagger Via Dial Up, then lags away from the other overclocker!:: Hehe!

--Lupi

Lupiron

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
Woah, LARGE ffts were giving ya 65 c temps? At that nice and low voltage? Thats a bit odd. Maybe its not seated correctly? Maybe the IHS is lopsided like my low VID one! As a matter of fact, I still cant seat my TRUE correctly on it to where it performs at the same level it did when seated on my other quad. (Took me a boring 30 tries to seat it that time, and I am to lazy to take the time to do it again, for now.)

When I lapped the IHS, I noticed that it was a different design than my other chips. My b3 and the 1.2625 were single layered IHS. The new ones Had a support pin through one of the four corners that messed everything up! So... it may start messed up and crazy shaped! I filed forever before the back side was even with the front!

Then again, ya never know! You could give it a lapping and see if it helps. Helped on mine, now I just need to find that one magic seating position where the processor and heat sink stick together like doggies!

I want mt 17 c delta back!!

--Lupi