Stock C2D Cooler problems

tonetone

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
Hey guys I've had my E6600 stock HSF for over a year now and since day one it has not been installed correctly despite endless hours of reinstalling the fan over and over. I've had around 55-60 idle temps and 70ish load for awhile and I was able to live with it but yesterday the temps spiked to 80 idle and it turned off by itself and I spent hours of reinstalling again and I really do believe it is installed correctly this time but it still shows 60 idle temp, I'm just wondering what is wrong? Is it still probably not installed correctly? Because this time all 4 pins clicked and I tried moving each pin and it was very stiff and the whole heatsink was very secure but still showed these high temps. Should I just go get a new HSF? I've been thinking about the Artic Freezer Cooling 7 and I was wondering if that HSF is hard to install. Thanks in advance.

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
have you clean the thermal paste off with alcohol?or thermal paste cleaner?.

and regard to the Artic Freezer Cooling 7 i have that with my quad core Q6600.and its working wonderfully well!cooling the Q6600 at 3Ghz idle 38C load 69C.it seems a bit high for load but i have a VID 1.3V G0 so need more voltage then the others.

tonetone

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
no I havent been reapplying thermal at all is that the reason why? if so what kind should i get? and how would I apply it? For removing the current paste I just use 70% alcohol with tissue and wipe it off the heatsink and processor correct? It just seems weird that the HSF seems more secure than the first time I installed it even if its not 100% installed correctly but still has higher temps.

nzxtlexa

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
Yes thats the problem then. I'm surprised your CPU was only at 60 idle temp considering you didn't have any thermal paste and even more surprised its still working properly! I really don't want to be rude, but when you removed the old thermal paste, did it not occur to you that you would need to reapply it?

Anyway, yes removing it with alcohol like this should be fine. I would recommend Arctic Silver 5 as a thermal paste. With a dual core processor, you need to apply the thermal paste in a line over the two cores, then place the heatsink on top and this will spread the paste out. Its all explained here:

http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appinstruct/as5/ins_as5_intel_dual_wcap.pdf

tonetone

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
i NEVER removed the thermal paste from the processor nor the heatsink BUT i did remove the heatsink a lot of times to reinstall it again.

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I had the stock HSF and no matter what I did one pin would always be loose or find it's way off of the mobo. You have to replace you HSF with one that mounts very solidly to the motherboard with a metal base. I can recommend a few that you will see drastic temperature diff in:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010110574&CompareItemList=N82E16835118019%2CN82E16835154001%2CN82E16835109125%2CN82E16835106044&page=3&bop=And
If you look at all the pics of these coolers you'll notice that none of them have the same plastic clips that are similar to the stock heat sink. These all have metal clips with some sort of mounting base. I can personally say that the Thermalright ultra has served me well and mounts very nice to my motherboard. I'm never worried if I mounted it on securely due to it having all metal mounting hardware and a base.
Avoid the one you mention AFC7 due to it's plastic mounting like the stock one.

tonetone

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
meh thanks for the recommendations ill look into it even though i was hoping to not have to remove my mobo to install a new HSF. I guess i should just remove the mobo now and reinstall the whole stock HSF fan to make sure its fully installed correctly. Since i just put on the AS5 would i need to reapply AS5 again after i remove the HSF? or can I just reseat the heatsink on top of the CPU. OR does anyone know if the AFC7 mounting device is ANY easier than the stock one even though they are the same device.

tonetone

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2006
yeah im pretty sure i applied the AS correctly but im just wondering would i need to remove the AS and REAPPLY it after i remove the HSF to reinstall it? I'm pretty sure its another seating issue with the stock HSF now even though it seems perfectly secure to me. I also remember having a problem removing the 4 pin connector that went into the mobo to power the fan is the connector a little harder to pull out or is there a certain way to yank it out?

iluvgillgill

Splendid
Jan 1, 2007
if you dont want to remove the mobo get the artic cooling freezer 7 pro or the hyper tx2 or if you want more performance without removing the mobo get the scythe infinity(aka ninja) thats got the standard intel lpush pin installation.

hughyhunter

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
You'll be going from stock HSF to slightly better than stock HSF by upgrading to arctic freezer or scythe. Both are plastic mounts. Just like stock HSF... dont bother! If will fall off just like stock one consistently does.