Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First news progam in HD?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 5:27:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

According to TitanTV next Friday's "20/20" will be in HD. If so, it will be
the first news program in HD, at least as far as I know.

Hermango

More about : news progam

Anonymous
May 14, 2005 7:22:26 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

The people who broadcast HDNews everyday, would be very shocked to hear
this.


--
B.Greenway, Posted this message at http://www.SatelliteGuys.US
Anonymous
May 14, 2005 8:44:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Hermango wrote:

> According to TitanTV next Friday's "20/20" will be in HD. If so, it will be
> the first news program in HD, at least as far as I know.
>
> Hermango

Perhaps if yov qvalify as first broadcast network regvlar primetime
weekly news program in HD, bvt I don't know if that is correct, either.
The networks have carried special news events in HD svch as the State of
the Union. ABC News broadcast the Inavgvration in HD (except for the
stretched portable SD cameras). There are stations broadcasting the 6
and 11 PM news in HD. WUSA, the CBS affiliate, in Washington, DC
recently vpgraded to HD for the local news shows for example.

Alan F
Related resources
May 14, 2005 9:10:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Hermango" <hermango.kill_spam.@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:gngc81hlrh52vaedkhll0ugr2l01pgj2bp@4ax.com...
> According to TitanTV next Friday's "20/20" will be in HD. If so, it
> will be
> the first news program in HD, at least as far as I know.
>
> Hermango


Thanks for the heads-up.

I can't wait until 60 Minutes [with Mike and Morley] is broadcast in hi-def.
(wince, cringe, recoil) ;-)
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 3:18:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Alan Figgatt <afiggatt@comcast.net> wrotd:

>Hermango wrote:
>
>> According to TitanTV next Friday's "20/20" will be in HD. If so, it will be
>> the first news program in HD, at least as far as I know.
>>

>
> Perhaps if you qualify as first broadcast network regular primetime
>weekly news program in HD, but I don't know if that is correct, either.

Yes, they've done some special programs, but this is the first one of a
regularly scheduled program.

Hermango
May 15, 2005 4:38:59 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

David wrote:
> "Hermango" <hermango.kill_spam.@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:gngc81hlrh52vaedkhll0ugr2l01pgj2bp@4ax.com...
>
>> According to TitanTV next Friday's "20/20" will be in HD. If so, it
>>will be
>>the first news program in HD, at least as far as I know.
>>
>>Hermango
>
>
>
> Thanks for the heads-up.
>
> I can't wait until 60 Minutes [with Mike and Morley] is broadcast in hi-def.
> (wince, cringe, recoil) ;-)
>
>
Unless you count WRAL in Raleigh NC which has been doing LOCAL news in
HD for several years!!!
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 1:03:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"David" <davey@home.net> wrote in message
news:ZLqdnb2-VKqm9BvfRVn-ig@comcast.com...
> "Hermango" <hermango.kill_spam.@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:gngc81hlrh52vaedkhll0ugr2l01pgj2bp@4ax.com...
>> According to TitanTV next Friday's "20/20" will be in HD. If so, it
>> will be
>> the first news program in HD, at least as far as I know.
>>
>> Hermango
>
>
> Thanks for the heads-up.
>
> I can't wait until 60 Minutes [with Mike and Morley] is broadcast in
> hi-def.
> (wince, cringe, recoil) ;-)

It's going to be a long wait as these shows are still being shot in the
field on Betacam SP.
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 1:03:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Curmudgeon" <curmudgeon@buzzoff.net> wrote in message
news:FlAhe.23709$eJ4.11566@bignews4.bellsouth.net...
> David wrote:
>> "Hermango" <hermango.kill_spam.@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:gngc81hlrh52vaedkhll0ugr2l01pgj2bp@4ax.com...
>>
>>> According to TitanTV next Friday's "20/20" will be in HD. If so, it
>>> will be
>>>the first news program in HD, at least as far as I know.
>>>
>>>Hermango
>>
>>
>>
>> Thanks for the heads-up.
>>
>> I can't wait until 60 Minutes [with Mike and Morley] is broadcast in
>> hi-def.
>> (wince, cringe, recoil) ;-)
> Unless you count WRAL in Raleigh NC which has been doing LOCAL news in HD
> for several years!!!

Bet the Raleigh station is only doing the studio in HD and the field cameras
are all SD.
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 3:51:08 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

X-No-archive: yes

"Hermango" <hermango.kill_spam.@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:gngc81hlrh52vaedkhll0ugr2l01pgj2bp@4ax.com...
> According to TitanTV next Friday's "20/20" will be in HD. If so, it
> will be
> the first news program in HD, at least as far as I know.
>
> Hermango
>
============================
Local news on two of our local stations has been HD for several years now.
HENet news has ALWAYS been HD.
============================
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 4:08:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Richard C." <post-age@spamcop.net> wrote in message
news:GZidnbxx48KABxrfRVn-pQ@comcast.com...
> X-No-archive: yes
>
> "Hermango" <hermango.kill_spam.@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:gngc81hlrh52vaedkhll0ugr2l01pgj2bp@4ax.com...
>> According to TitanTV next Friday's "20/20" will be in HD. If so, it
>> will be
>> the first news program in HD, at least as far as I know.

48 Hours did an HD originated broadcast a couple of years back but I can't
remember the story now.
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 4:34:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Charles Tomaras (tomaras@tomaras.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> > Unless you count WRAL in Raleigh NC which has been doing LOCAL news in HD
> > for several years!!!
>
> Bet the Raleigh station is only doing the studio in HD and the field cameras
> are all SD.

I wouldn't count on it.

The first day out that WUSA here in DC did their news in HD, they had field
cameras that were HD, and some that were widescreen SD.

WRAL has been doing it for so much longer that I'd be surprised if they
didn't have at least one HD field camera.

--
Jeff Rife | "These are not scraps. These are historic
| remains of a once-great society of hair."
|
| -- George Costanza
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 4:34:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Jeff Rife" <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote in message
news:MPG.1cf14428bde79166989d3f@news.nabs.net...
> Charles Tomaras (tomaras@tomaras.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
>> > Unless you count WRAL in Raleigh NC which has been doing LOCAL news in
>> > HD
>> > for several years!!!
>>
>> Bet the Raleigh station is only doing the studio in HD and the field
>> cameras
>> are all SD.
>
> I wouldn't count on it.
>
> The first day out that WUSA here in DC did their news in HD, they had
> field
> cameras that were HD, and some that were widescreen SD.
>
> WRAL has been doing it for so much longer that I'd be surprised if they
> didn't have at least one HD field camera.


I would find that surprising. Do you know anyone at WUSA as I'd love to hear
the skinny on that? I can see from their web site that they began HD
newscasts just this year. I'm betting it's just the studio cameras that are
HD as the expense of going to an HD newsroom operation is still quite
prohibitive. I've not heard of a single local news operation that is all HD.
Not that I know everything, but it is in my area of business and I stay
pretty up to date on the related trade magazines and trade shows. Here in
Seattle we have one station that shoots Sony BetaSX in 16:9 (KOMO), another
that shoots mainly BetaSX and some BetacamSP in 4:3 (KING), and a third
which is all BetacamSP right now but switching to Panasonic P2 camera (DVC
PRO 25 with the old betacam lenses in 4:3) (KIRO). These are all SD formats
that are upconverted for the HD newscasts on KOMO and KING with KIRO soon to
come in HD.
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 8:29:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"David" <davey@home.net> wrote in
news:ZLqdnb2-VKqm9BvfRVn-ig@comcast.com:

> "Hermango" <hermango.kill_spam.@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:gngc81hlrh52vaedkhll0ugr2l01pgj2bp@4ax.com...
>> According to TitanTV next Friday's "20/20" will be in HD. If so,
>> it
>> will be
>> the first news program in HD, at least as far as I know.
>>
>> Hermango
>
>
> Thanks for the heads-up.
>
> I can't wait until 60 Minutes [with Mike and Morley] is broadcast in
> hi-def. (wince, cringe, recoil) ;-)
>
>


I like Mike but I think it may be a contest to see which guy is going to
die during taping first. 87 year old Mike Wallace or 86 year old Andy
Rooney.
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 9:02:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Hermango" <hermango.kill_spam.@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:p bjd819f08g9flp4kq73d4uhdv1odmain7@4ax.com...
> Alan Figgatt <afiggatt@comcast.net> wrotd:
>
>>Hermango wrote:
>>
>>> According to TitanTV next Friday's "20/20" will be in HD. If so, it
>>> will be
>>> the first news program in HD, at least as far as I know.
>>>
>
>>
>> Perhaps if you qualify as first broadcast network regular primetime
>>weekly news program in HD, but I don't know if that is correct, either.
>
> Yes, they've done some special programs, but this is the first one of a
> regularly scheduled program.
>
> Hermango

Fox News Sunday is a regularly scheduled news program that's been in HD for
some time. However, it's not in prime time.
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 9:21:11 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Charles Tomaras (tomaras@tomaras.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> > The first day out that WUSA here in DC did their news in HD, they had
> > field
> > cameras that were HD, and some that were widescreen SD.
> >
> I would find that surprising. Do you know anyone at WUSA as I'd love to hear
> the skinny on that?

Check out the DC/Baltimore thread in the local reception forum at AVS Forum.
Somebody from WUSA posts there every so often.

> I can see from their web site that they began HD
> newscasts just this year. I'm betting it's just the studio cameras that are
> HD as the expense of going to an HD newsroom operation is still quite
> prohibitive.

They obviously use HD cameras in the field for some stories. The difference
between the HD and widescreen SD shots are easy to spot.

--
Jeff Rife | copy protection: n. A class of methods for
| preventing incompetent pirates from stealing
| software and legitimate customers from using it.
| Considered silly.
| -- Jargon File version 4.4.6
Anonymous
May 15, 2005 9:24:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Jeff Rife" <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote in message
news:MPG.1cf1874dcdc09827989d40@news.nabs.net...
> Charles Tomaras (tomaras@tomaras.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
>> > The first day out that WUSA here in DC did their news in HD, they had
>> > field
>> > cameras that were HD, and some that were widescreen SD.
>> >
>> I would find that surprising. Do you know anyone at WUSA as I'd love to
>> hear
>> the skinny on that?
>
> Check out the DC/Baltimore thread in the local reception forum at AVS
> Forum.
> Somebody from WUSA posts there every so often.
>
>> I can see from their web site that they began HD
>> newscasts just this year. I'm betting it's just the studio cameras that
>> are
>> HD as the expense of going to an HD newsroom operation is still quite
>> prohibitive.
>
> They obviously use HD cameras in the field for some stories. The
> difference
> between the HD and widescreen SD shots are easy to spot.

I emailed the news director and will report back if I receive a response. I
do have to say that here in Seattle the native 16x9 upconverted SD BetaSX
field news looks great when upconverted on KOMO Television.
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 7:45:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Hermango <hermango.kill_spam.@hotmail.com> wrote in
news:gngc81hlrh52vaedkhll0ugr2l01pgj2bp@4ax.com:

> According to TitanTV next Friday's "20/20" will be in HD. If so,
> it will be
> the first news program in HD, at least as far as I know.

Seattle's stations (at least some of them) have been doing local news in
HDTV for some time new.


--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 1800667

A false witness is worse than no witness at all.
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 1:24:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

"Jeff Rife" <wevsr@nabs.net> wrote in message
news:MPG.1cf1874dcdc09827989d40@news.nabs.net...
> Charles Tomaras (tomaras@tomaras.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
>> > The first day out that WUSA here in DC did their news in HD, they had
>> > field
>> > cameras that were HD, and some that were widescreen SD.
>> >
>> I would find that surprising. Do you know anyone at WUSA as I'd love to
>> hear
>> the skinny on that?
>
> Check out the DC/Baltimore thread in the local reception forum at AVS
> Forum.
> Somebody from WUSA posts there every so often.
>
>> I can see from their web site that they began HD
>> newscasts just this year. I'm betting it's just the studio cameras that
>> are
>> HD as the expense of going to an HD newsroom operation is still quite
>> prohibitive.
>
> They obviously use HD cameras in the field for some stories. The
> difference
> between the HD and widescreen SD shots are easy to spot.

Jeff...here is the response from WUSA's news director:

Thanks for writing.

We are shooting 16:9 digital standard definition in the field right now.

We use DVC Pro cameras. We will switch to HD in the field as soon as the
market comes up with a dependable, affordable format.

I must say our wide screen digital field footage looks pretty good on an
HDTV.

Randal
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 4:52:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.tv.tech.hdtv (More info?)

Charles Tomaras (tomaras@tomaras.com) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
> > They obviously use HD cameras in the field for some stories. The
> > difference
> > between the HD and widescreen SD shots are easy to spot.
>
> Jeff...here is the response from WUSA's news director:
>
> Thanks for writing.
>
> We are shooting 16:9 digital standard definition in the field right now.
>
> We use DVC Pro cameras. We will switch to HD in the field as soon as the
> market comes up with a dependable, affordable format.
>
> I must say our wide screen digital field footage looks pretty good on an
> HDTV.

They've fooled everyone at AVS, then. Some of the wide screen field footage
looks so awful that it's obvious that it is SD. The best really does
look like HD, and they seem to have one story per night like this, which
is why we all thought they had an HD camera.

My bad.

--
Jeff Rife |
| http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/ShermansLagoon/FrozenLemmi...
!